PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for Your Amazing Feedback!

Fraser
2005-Oct-24, 11:48 PM
SUMMARY: Thanks to everybody who responded to my question on Monday... should I start an international space agency? Not surprisingly, the response was overwhelming. What did surprise me, however, is how positive everyone was. I really got the impression that there is a geniune interest for people to get involved, somehow, in space exploration. There were offers of assistance (and I do get something going, you can all bet I'll take you up on it), offers of money, and lots of moral support.

I did, however, get a theme of comments that kind of went like this: "That's a great idea, but isn't that what the Planetary Society, National Space Society, and Mars Society are already trying to do? Why not help them out instead of competing?" To be honest, I don't really have a well-formed opinion on that. They were formed by space enthusiasts to promote space exploration; couldn't they use more help?

There were no shortage of warnings about the potential tax implications of accepting and redistributing money to various organizations. I was thinking, maybe a better way would be to build a comprehensive database of space exploration projects, both private and public, and then bring a community together to try and give some perspective - let people donate where they like. I'd rather stay out of the whole money business anyway.

So there you go, I'll mull this all over some more. I really do appreciate the thoughtful feedback I received, and I'll try to get back to as many of you as I can. 250 emails can take a little while to respond to. :-)

Fraser Cain, Publisher
Universe Today

P.S. If you're wondering where all this astronomy news is coming from, the annual meeting of the American Astronomical Society was this week in Seattle. So it's press release city.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/article_264.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.