PDA

View Full Version : Web browser 2005

ToSeek
2005-Oct-25, 06:48 PM
Inspired by this old thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=8926), I thought I'd update the question of which browser people use to be more current, since there are now browsers not on the old list.

P.S. Votes are public!

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 06:51 PM
IE - it came with Dell's package.

ToSeek
2005-Oct-25, 06:56 PM
IE - it came with Dell's package.

If you voted in the poll, it hasn't registered.

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 07:47 PM
I didn't see the poll when I first replied. Too many odd things happening with the BAUT today.

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-25, 08:44 PM
Ummm....I use "Mozilla Firefox" as it says at the top of the window. Which do I vote for?

Bilateralrope
2005-Oct-25, 08:47 PM
Ummm....I use "Mozilla Firefox" as it says at the top of the window. Which do I vote for?
Yes, mozilla should be lumped with firefox, not netscape.

ToSeek
2005-Oct-25, 09:04 PM
Mozilla, Netscape, and Firefox all have closely related heritages. I separated out Firefox because of its considerable popularity in its own right.

Krel
2005-Oct-26, 01:58 AM
I like and use Firefox, but it does have one tiny flaw. It will eventually, at some time or other, delet your bookmarks, my time was Sunday. But, for some strange reason, I still like it. Now if I can just find some way to keep my bookmarks from going awol, I will be very happy.

David.

peter eldergill
2005-Oct-26, 02:32 AM
Firefox

I don't care much for Microsoft in general

Pete

Roving Philosopher
2005-Oct-26, 02:51 AM
I've been using Firefox since back when it was called Phoenix

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 02:55 AM
Someday, I will ask what Foxfire and Mozilla are.... for now, I'll just be happy with IE.

We are currently phasing out Netscape at work (we have IE).

Cl1mh4224rd
2005-Oct-26, 04:12 AM
Yeesh. And I just voted on the old one yesterday. :p

Anyway, same vote and response: Firefox all the way. ;)

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-26, 04:17 AM
FireFox all the way, I suggest you have a look Candy, it is freeware!

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 05:11 AM
IE is free (well, with the Dell purchase).

TheBlackCat
2005-Oct-26, 05:14 AM
IE is always free.

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 05:14 AM
Okay!

What is mozilla and firefox?

We are phasing out netscape at work with the transaction of XP. OMG- we are finally getting XP at work!

EvilBob
2005-Oct-26, 05:48 AM
I like and use Firefox, but it does have one tiny flaw. It will eventually, at some time or other, delet your bookmarks, my time was Sunday. But, for some strange reason, I still like it. Now if I can just find some way to keep my bookmarks from going awol, I will be very happy.

David.
Dang! I thought it was just me! I recently lost my entire profile, extensions, settings, the lot. Weird. Now I Zip the contents of my profile folder (minus the cache) into an archive and keep it separate.

Edit: Candy, go to www.getfirefox.com and give it a try. It might take a tiny bit more setting up, but there's so much more you can do with it....

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 06:39 AM
No to new things....

Can't you just tell me what it is?

Nereid
2005-Oct-26, 06:55 AM
Firefox, though if it loses bookmarks ... (note to self: must, just must back up bookmarks!)

mickal555
2005-Oct-26, 10:52 AM
:s I've never lost any of my bookmarks....

Firefox- love the tabs

paulie jay
2005-Oct-26, 11:15 AM
Firefox for me - I only wish that the tabbed browsing and mouse gestures to worked on my OS too!

paulie jay
2005-Oct-26, 11:24 AM
No to new things....

Candy, Firefox is just like Internet Explorer, but only a whole lot more flexible. You have the option of using any of a number of free plug-ins (called "extensions") which make life a whole lot easier. In fact one does not usually appreciate the difference it makes until you have to go back to using Internet Explorer.

One of its biggest plusses is "tabbed browsing" which means that you can have several different web pages open at the one time but within the frame of your browser. With Internet Explorer having 3 web pages open means having 3 IE browsers open on your task bar.

There are many other nifty little features that you can install that cut down on excessive clicking (automatically copying text for example, or inserting a web address and clicking "go" in just one movement), and these do take time to wade through and select the ones that you think will be handy for you, but ultimately it is well worth the time it takes.

worzel
2005-Oct-26, 12:07 PM
Tabbed browsing, same setup on XP and Linux, Firefox wins handsdown.

Argos
2005-Oct-26, 12:13 PM
IE 6.0. I can be conservative sometimes.

Lianachan
2005-Oct-26, 12:18 PM
IE for me. I'm aiding Bill Gate's quest for Total World Dominance by never bothering to look for alternatives to something which seems to work just fine. Lazy, I know.

jkmccrann
2005-Oct-26, 01:19 PM
Another plus about Firefox is the find function on a webpage, much better organised than the IE version. :)

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-26, 02:08 PM
I use Firefox mostly. I still use IE for hotmail, because I have msn messenger, and when it pops up and tells me I have an email, if I want to read it right away I just click on the notification and so I have to use IE. I think....maybe I can check into changing the browser.

I also hate cookies. I have Ffx set up so that it asks me every time if I want the site to set cookies. Sometimes when I am doing something that's sensitive to that Ffx tells me it won't work, and I haven't explored enough to figure out how to get over that, so I just jump back to IE.

Theunknownbook
2005-Oct-26, 03:07 PM

David.

How about this?

http://www.mybookmarks.com/

Theunknownbook
2005-Oct-26, 03:09 PM
No to new things....

lol, you just don't give up, now do you?

Stregone
2005-Oct-26, 03:20 PM
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 08:06 PM
lol, you just don't give up, now do you?
I know what they are now. ;)

... so tempted to click on link from above!

GDwarf
2005-Oct-26, 09:09 PM
A bit more info on Firefox.

IE has several security holes, has very few options, and can be annoying when it decides what it will allow you to do (I hate the new pop-up blocker for IE that came with SP2, Firefox's only blocks pop-ups, the SP2 one blocks every single new window that tries to open, since IE only lets you have one webpage per window...).

Firefox allows you to have only what you want on your browser, tired of the icons at the top of IE that you never use? With Firefox you can simply get rid of any buttons, or add new ones that you'd like. You can download add-ons that check your spelling, or allow you to remove banner ads, check your G-mail account, one-click RSS feeds, have many 'windows' open in one, so that your task bar (the thing down at the bottom where all your programs are listed) only has one icon, but you have several web-pages open, (it's much nicer then it sounds.). etc. etc. etc. You want it, odds are it's been made for Firefox. As an added bonus, most, if not all, spyware and browser hijackers won't work on Firefox, and it doesn't allow "background downloads", which IE does, or at least did. (Background downloads are a thing where a website could download and install software on your computer without you knowing.), IE is not compliant with international HTML standards (Microsoft just says 'we'll do it this way, if that's not the way code is written then too bad'), FF, needless to say, actually complies with these standards. Finally, FF gets regular upgrades, IE hasn't had one for years.

worzel
2005-Oct-27, 09:31 AM
And Firefox has got nice icon too.

EvilBob
2005-Oct-27, 10:25 AM
Firefox allows you to have only what you want on your browser, tired of the icons at the top of IE that you never use? With Firefox you can simply get rid of any buttons, or add new ones that you'd like.
Just a nitpick, but IE will actually let you change the buttons displayed, too. But Firefox is much nicer to use, and is a lot more customisable.

GDwarf
2005-Oct-27, 10:59 AM
Just a nitpick, but IE will actually let you change the buttons displayed, too. But Firefox is much nicer to use, and is a lot more customisable.
Ah, sorry about that, It's been a while since I last used it, as despite me runing 2 spyware programs and a virus scanner every week I still can't get all the browser hijackers off it -_-;.

Moose
2005-Oct-27, 12:39 PM
I've been happily using Fireferret... er... Firefox since it was called Firebird (version 0.7, whenever that was.) At least two years, maybe three now?

What I like most about it (besides Adblock) is that the tabbed browser is entirely optional, not a requirement. I prefer a stack of free-floating windows for some odd reason.

And that the lifespans of unpatched security flaws are measured in hours rather than months (as in IE).

zebo-the-fat
2005-Oct-27, 04:23 PM
Firefox is worth every penny you don't pay just for the Adblock feature!

dvb
2005-Oct-27, 04:48 PM
One of my favorite and most used firefox features, is the ability to highlight any word or phrase on a webpage, then right click it, and choose "Search web for" the highlighted word/phrase. It automatically brings up a new tab with your search in google, instead of having to open a new window, and type in what you want to search for. I use the feature so much, that I find myself with half a dozen tabs open while casually browsing through your average webpage.

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-27, 05:23 PM
Thanks, dvb! I've been using FFx for a while and never explored the tab feature, but I tried highlighting/websearching, and it popped up. Well, not popped up--that's evil. Tabbed in, I guess. I like it!

Captain Kidd
2005-Oct-27, 05:34 PM
Firefox here; I was also pleasantly surprised to find out that our county library uses Firefox for the catalog computers. It’s nice to see it outside of home use. We’re locked into IE at work.

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-27, 05:40 PM
You can download add-ons that check your spelling, or allow you to remove banner ads, check your G-mail account, one-click RSS feeds, have many 'windows' open in one, so that your task bar (the thing down at the bottom where all your programs are listed) only has one icon, but you have several web-pages open, (it's much nicer then it sounds.). etc. etc. etc.

How do you do that? I couldn't find instructions for it.

skepticfrog
2005-Oct-27, 06:19 PM
I acutally use Firefox quite a bit as I especially like the tab feature and the find function (much easier give the amount of research I do), but webmail at my workplace is MS Outlook based -- Firefox just doesn't support all of the features.

It is also easier to set security preferences on firefox (at least from my perspective).

I too have had occasions where preferences / bookmarks just vanished on Firefox.

Roving Philosopher
2005-Oct-27, 06:24 PM
How do you do that? I couldn't find instructions for it.
I imagine he's referring to Gmail Notifier (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=173&application=firefox). (If the link doesn't work, go to www.getfirefox.com, and then click on "Get Extensions and Themes". You may have to hunt a little)

I use tabbed browsing quite a bit here on the board. I just open a forum, look for interesting topics, clicking them into new tabs as I find them. Then I just work my way through the tabs. :)

dvb
2005-Oct-27, 06:36 PM
Thanks, dvb! I've been using FFx for a while and never explored the tab feature, but I tried highlighting/websearching, and it popped up. Well, not popped up--that's evil. Tabbed in, I guess. I like it!
You're very welcome, and I'm glad to hear that you've found a new use for firefox. :)

I forgot to mention in my previous post, that I also use that feature for looking up word definitions. If I get stuck on a word, I just highlight, click, click, and I have my definition. It's a major time saver, but I usually end up wasting more time than I originally planned.

Stregone
2005-Oct-27, 10:13 PM
I imagine he's referring to Gmail Notifier (https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=173&application=firefox). (If the link doesn't work, go to www.getfirefox.com, and then click on "Get Extensions and Themes". You may have to hunt a little)

I use tabbed browsing quite a bit here on the board. I just open a forum, look for interesting topics, clicking them into new tabs as I find them. Then I just work my way through the tabs. :)
or just go to Tools>Extensions and click on the "Get More Extensions" link :)
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/9884/ext7ag.th.png (http://img462.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ext7ag.png)

EvilBob
2005-Oct-27, 11:06 PM
One of my favorite and most used firefox features, is the ability to highlight any word or phrase on a webpage, then right click it, and choose "Search web for" the highlighted word/phrase. It automatically brings up a new tab with your search in google, instead of having to open a new window, and type in what you want to search for. I use the feature so much, that I find myself with half a dozen tabs open while casually browsing through your average webpage.
You know, I'd never noticed that one before! I'm going to have to give that a workout. A nice extenstion I found the other day is 'Colorful Tabs' which gives each tab a different colour to make it a little easier to spot them.

Roving Philosopher
2005-Oct-27, 11:48 PM
or just go to Tools>Extensions and click on the "Get More Extensions" link :)
Oh, sure, if you want to do it the easy way! :-P

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-28, 12:52 AM

Got it! Now I just have to transition from hotmail to gmail and I'll be done with IE forever! I'm not quite ready for that. I checked hotmail to see if I could have my messages forwarded to gmail, to help me ease in gradually, but they don't offer that feature. :mad:

EvilBob
2005-Oct-28, 01:26 AM
And there doesn't seem to be any way to trick MSN into opening your hotmail in Firefox, or getting Thunderbird (Mozilla's e-mail client) to check your hotmail. But you can always manually open Hotmail in Firefox....

GDwarf
2005-Oct-28, 11:07 AM
And there doesn't seem to be any way to trick MSN into opening your hotmail in Firefox, or getting Thunderbird (Mozilla's e-mail client) to check your hotmail. But you can always manually open Hotmail in Firefox....
I thought Hotmail let you use a POP-3 e-mail client to check it, if so, you could use Thunderbird, you'd just have to figure out which setting was what.

pumpkinpie
2005-Oct-28, 02:04 PM
I thought Hotmail let you use a POP-3 e-mail client to check it, if so, you could use Thunderbird, you'd just have to figure out which setting was what.

I haven't yet explored thrunderbird, so maybe I could look into it. Right now the read mail under my Fx tools goes right to outlook, which I have to have for work. I have another Fx user in the office so together we're going to figure things out.