PDA

View Full Version : How many "paranormal phenomenons" are explained by sleep paralysis?

Peptron
2005-Oct-25, 08:53 PM
I've always been surprised by the amount of "paranormal phenomenons" that originate from a simple case of sleep paralysis, or that quite a lot of "unexplanable phenomenons" are in fact pretty easily explained by it. I remembered that when I've found today a scientific research making a link between "supressed childhood abuse memories" and "sleep paralysis", and that found a strong correlation between those that suffer of sleep paralysis and those that have the impression that they have been abused in their childhood, but have no real memory from it. The research was concluding that a lot of cases of supressed childhood abuse memories that suddently come back years later could be explained by a case of misinterpreted sleep paralysis.

On the top of my head, sleep paralysis explains:
-Alien abduction
-Aliens visitation
-UFOs (that comes next to your room's window at night while you are in your bed)
-Demonic possessions
-Djinns
-Angels
-Demons
-Inccubus
-Succubus
-Night mares
-Astral Travel
-Out of body experiences
-Telepathy
-Remote viewing
-Ghosts
-Spirits
-Visitations by malevolent spirits
and quite a lot more that I'm forgetting...

I would be curious to know if there are any other common phenomenons that explains a lot of "paranormal" phenomenons. What I particulary like with sleep paralysis is that it has created a lot of folklore in every culture of the world, every culture having different interpretations.
I always have a smile when on TV I see a "paranormal show", where a person is sitting and explaining to an interviewer their "paranormal experience". In many cases, the story that the interviewee tell is a stereotypical case of sleep paralysis. What I don't get is why there are almost never anybody to dismiss the "unexplanable paranormal phenomenon" as "quite easily explained". Well, I do get that a paranormal show must keep a certain feeling of paranormal, but still... sometimes it's obvious they have an hard time to maintain it.

As I typed this post, I remembered that epilepsy explains a lot of "paranormal" things too, even if epilepsy is much rarer than sleep paralysis, and much more problematic.

eburacum45
2005-Oct-25, 09:20 PM
I had a sleep paralysis experience myself- one afternoon, over-tired, I lay down on my bed; after a period of time I looked into the corner of ther room and there was a classic 'grey alien' standing there.
As I had recently seen a documentary on sleep paralysis I realised what it was, and became very interested; unfortunately the apparition faded away.

Dream-like events like this are difficult to remember accurately after a while, for a number of different reasons; so I can't describe it very accurately; but it seems likely that I might have easily misinterpreted this apparition as a failed adbuction or something.

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 09:23 PM
I'm still waiting for it to happen to me. :(

Peptron
2005-Oct-25, 09:59 PM
Haha, most people tend to "hate" it, most of the time simply because they don't know what it is. I must say that it must be quite frightening when you don't know what's going on... or that all the info you find is telling you that it is demons trying to take over your soul... (true story).

It hasn't happened to me for a while, but I can provoke it if I want. It's possible if you have enough will power.

If you want to provoke it, you have to make sure that your next sleep cycle is a "REM" one. If you try it the evening, it might be hard, since you'll go almost directly into deep sleep, and so you'll "lose consciousness". It almost always happen when you are going to get a dream, or are leaving one.
The most successful moments are the morning when you just woke up, and are still in the bed and want to sleep a little bit more. The thing is to try to "fall asleep" without losing consiousness. Basically this is what sleep paralysis is all about. You have to try to slowly fall asleep, or simply relax. You have to try to do some little movements too. In many case there is no way to tell you entered sleep paralysis other than trying to move and fail. If you look at a clock or something, the time will still pass normally; if the TV was on you can still watch it and follow the show, assuming you are able to line your head with it.

Most people want tricks to leave sleep paralysis instead of causing it though :). There is no magic method to stop the sleep paralysis other than slowly trying to move. The only instant cure is to activate a sensory nerve, which can be hard since you are paralysed. Since sleep paralysis is being between asleep and awake, it can stop either by you awakening or starting to dream. A nice thing about it ending with a dream is that the transition is seamless. You don't "lose consciousness" and suddently notice you are in a dream. You really see the start of the dream, which usually will be in your room, exactly with the same circumstances as the sleep paralysis, but with a "modified" sence of reality. This is great for lucid dreams. I could write pages of lucid dreams I got that started with a sleep paralysis :).

I'm much more likely to have sleep paralysis when I'm really tired and sleep like a rock... I can even get into endless chains of "awake 2 seconds, paralysed 2 seconds, awake 2 seconds, paralysed 2 seconds..." when really tired. I thing the biggest chain had 12 sleep paralysis in a row. This is really freaky since you raise your arm, it's ok, then you feel your strength is leaving you and your arm fall and you can't move it anymore, then you feel you can move it again... and repeat.

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 10:03 PM
Do you think it is more likely to happen to you if you believe or somewhat believe in the below options? Which I don't - I wish I did sometimes, though.

-Alien abduction
-Aliens visitation
-UFOs (that comes next to your room's window at night while you are in your bed)
-Demonic possessions
-Djinns
-Angels
-Demons
-Inccubus
-Succubus
-Night mares
-Astral Travel
-Out of body experiences
-Telepathy
-Remote viewing
-Ghosts
-Spirits

Matherly
2005-Oct-25, 10:11 PM
-Night mares

???

What's paranormal about Nightmares? They seem pretty universal to me.

worzel
2005-Oct-25, 10:17 PM
Nah, what's more likely to happen due to beliefs is the interpretation put on it, IMO. I'm as skeptical as they come and I used to get sleep paralysis a lot if I was over-tired when I went to bed. Every time I'd drop off I'd sort of slip into a void and feel completely disconnected to reality, think I was having a heart attack as I dragged myself back, and finally awake feeling perfectly normal. The first few times I really thought I was dying, then I went through a phase of thinking I must have a dodgey heart (only heard about SP ten years later). I had a quite a few sleepless nights.

These days I have a different sort of experience, not sure if it's SP. If I'm really relaxed on the tube or watching t.v. my body can sort of go to sleep while I'm still awake. I get this tingly feeling all over and my head feels like I've drunk way too much - I can't move without some real effort, which breaks the effect. It's very strange walking home at 8pm from the tube station after having been in this state only minutes beforehand.

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 10:24 PM
???

Scratch part of my previous statement! I've had a nightmare. I was 4 years old. It involved Frankenstein slow walking and chasing my mother. I was trying to protect her, so I distracted Frank. Frank started chasing me but then he began running. I quickly woke up!

Peptron
2005-Oct-25, 10:32 PM
???

Not "nightmares", "night mares"! The english word comes from the concept of the "night mares", mares (or maras) that comes during the night to give you bad visions and breathing problems while you are helplessly paralysed.

There is info about it in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_%28folklore%29

So, the word "nightmare" actually takes its roots from the phenomenon of sleep paralysis.

Do you think it is more likely to happen to you if you believe or somewhat believe in the below options?
No. What you believe in have no impact on the fact that you have it or not. But the hallucinations you have follows the same logic as dreams. If you think there is an alien just out of your field of vision, there most likely is one. If you actually get to look in that direction, it's quite likely you'll see it. Sleep paralysis can escalade in complete chaos if you are paranoid. If you think there might be demons all over the place assaulting you and you are scared, then your imagination will do the rest, since what you are seing are "dreams". It really works the same as in dreams, where if you look at the back of somebody's head and think "I don't want that person to look in my direction, he will be a monster!", then most likely he will not only turn in your direction, but really will look like a monster. I try to stay calm when I get paralysed, since it's easy for you to lose control. But when you do have control it can be an quite unusual form of entertainment...

worzel
2005-Oct-25, 10:38 PM
I guess it must say something about my beliefs that I only ever experienced a complete void then (and the usual heavy chest as I started to freak out :) )

Matherly
2005-Oct-25, 10:41 PM
Not "nightmares", "night mares"!

Thank you for the link, Peptron. I stand corrected!

:)

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 10:50 PM
Dang it, sleep paralysis has never happened to me, yet. I'm no expert on dreaming, but sleep paralysis sounds like a psychological disorder. I could be wrong.

worzel
2005-Oct-25, 11:24 PM
Dang it, sleep paralysis has never happened to me, yet. I'm no expert on dreaming, but sleep paralysis sounds like a psychological disorder. I could be wrong.I'd liken it more to hiccups, myslef.

Candy
2005-Oct-25, 11:32 PM
I've had hiccups before. It better not be similar.

TheBlackCat
2005-Oct-26, 12:36 AM
I have never had sleep paralysis. However, I have had another issue with similar results. When you are a child it is often difficult to seperate dreams from real life. I have had several "paranormal" childhood experiences that I was convinced for years really happened, but upon thinking about it now I realize they were simply dreams I remember as if they really happened. One involved a ghost who had my mother's voice (which is an important clue, considering I was a very deep sleeper at that point and tended to include sounds in the real world like voices and alarm clocks into my dreams) and another involved a UFO which looked suprisingly like the USS Enteprise (which is another clue).

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 12:45 AM
The word mother has come up in two posters threads.

EvilBob
2005-Oct-26, 04:45 AM
The plural of phenomenon is phenonoma, please!
I think I've had sleep paralysis before. A couple of times I've been lying in bed convinced that there was someone at the end of the bed been and unable to move to yell or reach for the light, completely terrified . Then suddenly, it's like I've woken up and been able to turn on the light. I always assumed it was a kind of dream, in which I've dreamed that I was awake, if that makes sense. That's what it felt like to me. Then I heard about sleep paralysis, and realised that it sounded similar to that.
Never thought it was aliens, though...

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 04:59 AM
I get it! Body paralyzed when awakening from sleep.

Okay, it's happened a couple of times. I don't think what is suggested above, though.

Maksutov
2005-Oct-26, 10:57 AM
Scratch part of my previous statement! I've had a nightmare. I was 4 years old. It involved Frankenstein slow walking and chasing my mother. I was trying to protect her, so I distracted Frank. Frank started chasing me but then he began running. I quickly woke up!Good thing it was just Frankenstein, who was something of a wuss. Now, if it had been Frankenstein's monster, the outcome might have been different. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

mickal555
2005-Oct-26, 11:23 AM
I wanna luiced dream...

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 07:58 PM
Good thing it was just Frankenstein, who was something of a wuss. Now, if it had been Frankenstein's monster, the outcome might have been different. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif
You do make me laugh, Maksutov. I've always called Frankenstein's monster, Frankenstein. I call the "wuss", Dr. Frankenstein.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-02, 08:36 PM
You do make me laugh, Maksutov. I've always called Frankenstein's monster, Frankenstein. I call the "wuss", Dr. Frankenstein.

Sadly, that's pretty common. It's only us pedants that place the distinction where it should be. But I blame Hollywierd - the movie (yay, mr Karloff!) was about Fankenstein's monster... but what kind of lame title would that be?

-------

I think Ted Cassidy should have had a shot at that part.

Candy
2005-Nov-02, 10:30 PM
Sadly, that's pretty common. It's only us pedants that place the distinction where it should be. But I blame Hollywierd - the movie (yay, mr Karloff!) was about Fankenstein's monster... but what kind of lame title would that be?

-------

I think Ted Cassidy should have had a shot at that part.
Are you and Maksutov going to tell me Martians aren't green, either? ;)

AKAAnonymous
2008-Jul-25, 11:57 AM
Do you think it is more likely to happen to you if you believe or somewhat believe in the below options? Which I don't - I wish I did sometimes, though.

-Alien abduction
-Aliens visitation
-Demonic possessions
-Djinns
-Angels
-Demons
-Inccubus
-Succubus
-Night mares
-Astral Travel
-Out of body experiences
-Telepathy
-Remote viewing
-Ghosts
-Spirits

I have absolutely no supernatural/religous beliefs and it has happened to me three times this year. I actually I had it happen to me this morning. During 2 times I experienced it before today I never heard sound or had any visions like you hear about alot. I was beginning to doubt my beliefs which is what made me google "temporary paralysis" which led me to sleep paralysis which led me to here. If you do not know what is happening it is undoubtedly the most unpleasant thing that can happen to you. I have heard stories of this happening to kids as young as 10 and I can't even imagine how awful that'd be. If anyone knows of any medication that can be used to prevent this I would love for you to list it. Its definitely an unpleasant experience and if I don't find medication I hope I never experience a vision or it atleast isn't as scary now that I know what it is.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-25, 12:40 PM
I have absolutely no supernatural/religous beliefs and it has happened to me three times this year. I actually I had it happen to me this morning. During 2 times I experienced it before today I never heard sound or had any visions like you hear about alot. I was beginning to doubt my beliefs which is what made me google "temporary paralysis" which led me to sleep paralysis which led me to here. If you do not know what is happening it is undoubtedly the most unpleasant thing that can happen to you. I have heard stories of this happening to kids as young as 10 and I can't even imagine how awful that'd be. If anyone knows of any medication that can be used to prevent this I would love for you to list it. Its definitely an unpleasant experience and if I don't find medication I hope I never experience a vision or it atleast isn't as scary now that I know what it is.

I've had it happen to me for years. It still happens occasionally. It happens when you get caught between sleep and being awake.

I'm not aware of any medication for it, but then, I've never searched for any nor asked about it.

I have found, though, that my state of mind when I try to sleep seems to have a lot to do with it.
I am much more likely to experience sleep paralysis if I try to make myself sleep while giving my brain reasons to stay awake- if that makes any sense at all...:neutral:

AKAAnonymous
2008-Jul-25, 12:50 PM
I have heard that listening to music helps I am going to try this and if it still happens I am going to a doctor. I just can't stand it at all; it makes me afraid to go to sleep. I am horrified that I'll end up having one of the visions. I might be being childish about it, I don't know. Do you think the experiences were better after you knew the cause?

Neverfly
2008-Jul-25, 12:59 PM
I have heard that listening to music helps I am going to try this and if it still happens I am going to a doctor. I just can't stand it at all; it makes me afraid to go to sleep. I am horrified that I'll end up having one of the visions. I might be being childish about it, I don't know. Do you think the experiences were better after you knew the cause?

Although unpleasant, it doesn't make me fear sleep.
Knowing the root cause usually helps with many situations. What we fear most is the unknown.

I don't know about music and white noise- it may help.
But I would say talking to a doctor can't hurt:)

Being afraid of it: When I was younger and had it happen more often, I was afraid of it happening at times. Mainly because I was unable to breathe when it happened and woke up gasping. I also noticed that if I went to bed with that thought on my mind, it seemed much more likely it would happen, many times several times in a row.
So my best advice would be- Try To Relax When going to bed.

AKAAnonymous
2008-Jul-25, 01:08 PM
I may just be shaken up. Like I said I had it for the third time this morning and I hear sounds for the first time. I'm just glad I know what it is and I'm more comfortable talking about it now that I know it isn't something supernatural.

Delvo
2008-Jul-25, 02:17 PM
Another possible "interpretation" that I'd suspect people can apply to these experiences: that it's something mundane, not supernatural, but still something that just doesn't happen to actually be happening at that moment.

Several years ago, taking an afternoon nap, or having just laid down for one but not fallen asleep yet, I thought I heard a sound in my front room. I couldn't identify the sound or even think or what it had actually sounded like, which was a bit odd all by itself, as if it hadn't actually come from stimulation of my ears. I lived alone and knew that nobody could be in there without first opening or breaking something that would have been a lot louder and more distinctive. I lay still and silent, listening for any more sounds to come, but they didn't. It seemed like there should have been an intruder in my home. My explanation for the "sound I didn't hear" was that it was all in my head, as if my idea that there was an intruder caused me to think I must have heard something in order to get that idea because there was no other way to have gotten the idea that there was an intruder; I obviously hadn't seen, felt, smelled, or tasted one.

In case there really was an intruder, I didn't want to alert him/her to my presence yet, so I didn't try to move, so I don't know whether or not I could have.

I concluded that it was nothing and went (back?) to full normal sleep. When I got up later, it was clear that nobody else had been in there at all. I think the "human criminal" idea just fit my concept of how the world works better than "spooky spirits".

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-26, 12:37 AM

Umm..Are you living alone? A company can be helpful (I think) to get you to sleep. It gives you the security that you have somebody beside you when you sleep.

I have experience the same back when I was younger , and it's because of my own doing too. I was fond of reading folklores and ghosts stories , watching suspense/ horrors movies. I even remember doing some spirit of the glass with my cousins back then. I fed my brain with those that it produced me nightmares. But as I grew up , and I became less interested with those things and became interested in other things. My nightmares went away, and I sleep soundly without having such dreams. I am just saying this personally , not necessarily that it is the same as yours or applicable to you.

I think , you have to free your mind with those disturbing things and fill it with positive and wonderful things. Things that are REAL , and not only the product of our imagination. Unless you have a traumatic experienced happened to you in your lifetime, that is another case . You will need a doctor or therapist that can help you with dealing trauma.

It's just my opinion.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/106.gif

Kaptain K
2008-Jul-26, 12:50 AM
You all are aware that this is a three year old thread, right?

Neverfly
2008-Jul-26, 01:31 AM
Yes, but AKAAnonymous' question isn't yet three days old.

The BAUT Banned Poster Log is older than three years...
Quite a few regular threads are very old actually...

AKAAnonymous
2008-Jul-26, 02:42 AM
Well I've made an appointment with a psychiatrist. I'm 18 and in my last year of highschool so I do live with my mother. When one of my friends was over here I actually did sleep on the couch and I slept alot better. It's just a horrible feeling being afraid to go to sleep because when you wake up you may not be able to move. Being paranoid about people watching me in my sleep really doesn't help either. I know it isn't something supernatural but it's just a horrible feeling being unable to move or talk and just feeling like something is right out of your vision causing this.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-26, 02:47 AM
Well I've made an appointment with a psychiatrist. I'm 18 and in my last year of highschool so I do live with my mother. When one of my friends was over here I actually did sleep on the couch and I slept alot better. It's just a horrible feeling being afraid to go to sleep because when you wake up you may not be able to move. Being paranoid about people watching me in my sleep really doesn't help either. I know it isn't something supernatural but it's just a horrible feeling being unable to move or talk and just feeling like something is right out of your vision causing this.

It really is a bad feeling.
Having experienced it quite a bit myself, I completely agree that it is not supernatural or anything.. But like I said, for me, it also cuts off my breathing.

That can get annoying.

Usually, I just try to go back to sleep after. I've had it happen three times in a row a couple times:p

Good move on setting an appointment. Are you sure it's a psychiatrist and not a psychologist?
'Cuz the former can prescribe medications.
Either way, hopefully that Doctor will be able to give good suggestions and help you out;)

In the meantime- keep posting on the forum, you can learn a lot about other things, and...
If you start juggling relativity in your head, debating with Hoax Believers and Perusing Threads all across BAUT, You'll lose so much sleep you won't have TIME to get paralyzed.

Whirlpool
2008-Jul-26, 02:55 AM

Oh , you mean you dream like you wanted to wake up but you can't move your body.

We have our term in Tagalog - "Bangungot" or "Sudden Unexpected Death Syndrome (SUDS)".

I don't know much about the causes of those.

Some say , you should not sleep when your stomach is full.

Sudden Unexpected Death Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangungot)

AKAAnonymous
2008-Jul-26, 02:57 AM
Actually, I heard it may be triggered by bad sleep patterns but thats one of many theories. I'm not sure if he's a psychiatrist or a psychologist but I am hoping I can find a way to avoid this without medication. From what I've looked up today, there really hasn't been much research done on SP and it is hard to tell if medication works because the "attacks" (I guess that is what you would refer to them as) really dont have a pattern. I've only experienced it three times and the first two times only lasted maybe 15 seconds and I didn't experience any hallucinations which is why I didn't worry about it.

AKAAnonymous
2008-Jul-26, 02:59 AM
Oh , you mean you dream like you wanted to wake up but you can't move your body.

We have our term in Tagalog - "Bangungot" or "Sudden Unexpected Death Syndrome (SUDS)".

I don't know much about the causes of those.

Some say , you should not sleep when your stomach is full.

Sudden Unexpected Death Syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangungot)

What happens is I wake up, usually open my eyes I can't remember if I did this morning or not. Then I cannot move and this morning I heard a weird sound right beside my face and felt like I was being watched but I cannot turn my head to see or even talk or make sound.

Neverfly
2008-Jul-26, 03:04 AM
Actually, I heard it may be triggered by bad sleep patterns but thats one of many theories. I'm not sure if he's a psychiatrist or a psychologist but I am hoping I can find a way to avoid this without medication. From what I've looked up today, there really hasn't been much research done on SP and it is hard to tell if medication works because the "attacks" (I guess that is what you would refer to them as) really dont have a pattern. I've only experienced it three times and the first two times only lasted maybe 15 seconds and I didn't experience any hallucinations which is why I didn't worry about it.

You have a good attitude about it. And it's good you would prefer to not take medication.
You have listed out exactly why...

And to be honest, it's not that unusual. Most everyone I know has experienced it at one time or another- I still wouldn't worry about it.

AKAAnonymous
2008-Jul-26, 03:32 AM
Well the three experiences have all been throughout this year so I don't think they'll be stopping but I think I'm gonna go back to bed I'll post again if I have another experience. Let's just hope you don't hear from me in the morning. I'm just gonna turn on some beatles and hope all goes well. :neutral: