PDA

View Full Version : Einstein, Nobel Laureates, and me

Andromeda321
2005-Oct-26, 02:25 AM
I figured this is a cool little story even amidst my usual antics so I should share it here before I forget. (If you frequent FWIS, you've heard this already. If not, read on.)
On November 14th my department is hosting an International Year of Physics event (http://www.case.edu/events/physics/) with a bunch of very important people lecturing throughout the day, including a few Nobel Laureates and the former CEO of CNN, on how cool Einstein was. If this wasn't nifty enough they decided that the officers of the undergrad Physics and Astronomy Club should have lunch with the speakers and then introduce them during the event... at this time it's worth noting that as the "Astronomy Liasion" I am an officer. Awesome. :)
So anyway, last week word officially got out for who got to introduce who and things like that. As I was the only one to really state my preference I got Dr. Frank Wilczek, who won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2004. I've been excited about this ever since, even though I'm still not sure what I'm going to say!
So anyways, I thought that was nifty and news-worthy enough that some BAUTers would be interested in hearing about it (I'll post what happens when the big day arrives). That having said anyone in the general vicinity of Cleveland, Ohio who'd like to come to the event (I'm guessing there's more than one of you!) is more than welcome, just register on the above linked site.
Alright, that's it for now. If anyone has a suggestion for what to say and do while hanging out with Nobel Laureates I'm all ears. ;)

Candy
2005-Oct-26, 05:26 AM
You are the cutest bubble on earth! If I could turn back time, and relive life... I'd seriously want to be you, Andromeda. :cool:

Swift
2005-Oct-26, 02:39 PM
Andromeda, that is completely :cool: . I'm sure you'll have a great lunch. You have enough life experiences to have a great talk - the research you've been involved in, astronomy camp, etc.

It sounds like a very neat program, but I don't think I'll be able to take off from work for it - don't have a lot of vacation days left and it would be a stretch to say it is work related.

Speaking of the speakers, my wife now (for about the last year) works in the Dean's Office for Case's medical school. Apparently Lawrence Krauss (one of the speakers and a physics prof at Case) is also becoming involved in bio-physics and so is occasionally in and out of her office. I wonder if I should have her get his autograph on my copy of "The Physics of Star Trek". :think:

Andromeda321
2005-Oct-26, 09:03 PM
If you can show up after 5 at the Case Library that day you can get Krauss to do it for you yourself! :) Got my copy of his newest book today; it's been quite entertaining so far.
And thanks for the kind words Candy. Forgot to mention it earlier but meeting a Laureate is actually quite a hassle if you mention it to your parents, particularly your mother, because they will then be convinced you have nothing to wear and drag you around to buy new clothes/shoes during your fall break when you'd much rather be sleeping. I mean come on I'm a physics major; I don't care what I'm wearing!:razz:

George
2005-Oct-27, 01:07 AM
:clap: Wow. Powerful stuff. Will this become a 100 year tradition?

Will you do a recap of the event, please??

[BTW, I think they mispelled Isaacson's name at your site]

LurchGS
2005-Nov-02, 10:39 PM
If you can show up after 5 at the Case Library that day you can get Krauss to do it for you yourself! :) Got my copy of his newest book today; it's been quite entertaining so far.
And thanks for the kind words Candy. Forgot to mention it earlier but meeting a Laureate is actually quite a hassle if you mention it to your parents, particularly your mother, because they will then be convinced you have nothing to wear and drag you around to buy new clothes/shoes during your fall break when you'd much rather be sleeping. I mean come on I'm a physics major; I don't care what I'm wearing!:razz:

Fortunately for me, my parents learned very early on (I was 16) that trying to buy me clothes was a waste of time. It's not that I have bad taste, you know. It's more like I have NO taste. Or so my wife says. But what does she know? A) she married me and B) she's had 22 years in which to divorce or murder me, and hasn't done either.

There are advantages to dressing like a tech-type (i.e. nerd/physicist/astronomer/me): If I sit down on a street corner to tie my shoe laces, people from the People's Republic of Boulder walk up and just give me cash.