PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis season 2

Glom
2005-Oct-26, 09:54 PM
While SG-1 is off to a great start and looks like it deserves to be renewed for a tenth season, Atlantis isn't fairing so well. After a fizzling opening, that looked like it was written by fan boys, the second episode was full of holes. I just had to write a cynic's review (http://www.cynicscorner.org/index.html).

'The Intruder'

TEMPORAL ANOMALY OF THE WEEK: This episode finally beats 'Fallen' for rushed plotting. In the first five minutes, they go back to Earth, do their stuff, and return to Pegasus. If anyone had turned on a couple of minutes late because they were finishing preparing their curry, they wouldn't even have understood the situation. That so little time was devoted to this important event in the lives of the Atlantis expedition in favour of this off-the-shelf plot is rather disappointing.

ANNOYING SOUND OF THE WEEK: This goes that wretched screeching the F-302s made. Yes, yes, I know we are all accept sounds in space, just as we accept that the first people the Atlantis expedition encountered in Pegasus spoke perfect English. The screeching sound however was obnoxious and when a sound that shouldn't be there at all is obnoxious, it just serves to rub it in. If it wasn't for the screeching, I wouldn't have even thought about this classic bit of bad astronomy. It's bad enough we have to watch that pointless banking.

COSTUME DRAMA OF THE WEEK: The flashback with Weir and Simon. I thought I was watching a stage play about a Yankee and his amour during the American Civil War. Are the costume department getting bored with doing jumpsuits and Jaffa skirts all the time?

TREKKISM OF THE WEEK: No circuit breakers aboard ship. If the USAF had allowed proper electrical engineers to design the Daedalus, then they could have simply pulled the breaker for the transmitter. And no, there should be no way for a computer, even one infected by a Wraith virus, to close a circuit breaker that has been physically tripped.

TREKKISM OF THE WEEK RUNNER UP: Sensors getting jammed by strawberry jam. The Asgard were capable of correcting the problems with the core of the sun of K'Tau (even if they didn't do it, it is clearly stated that they could have), yet somehow he can't detect two F-302s that aren't really all that near the sun.

AIRBUS DESIGN OF THE WEEK: It is generally expected that a pilot should retain the ability to turn an autopilot off, even if it means pulling, guess what, the breaker. Shepherd should not have lost control of the first 302 that way.

BIG BROTHER OF THE WEEK: Even the emergency lighting is controlled by the computer? Why no red emergency lights when doing those shutdowns?

THE KIRK "THIS IS THE MOST DANGEROUS PLANET IN THE GALAXY SO LET'S BEAM DOWN ALL THE SENIOR STAFF" SYNDROME OF THE WEEK: So all the main cast, exclusing Teyla whose not from Earth, get to go home at the same time. This includes the person in charge of the Atlantis expedition, the ranking military officer, the head scientist and the chief medical officer.

ARISTOTLE OF THE WEEK: True, what we saw wasn't technically wrong. When Shepherd closed the throttle, the evil 302 should have accelerated past him. However, Newton's first law says, and it should still apply in Pegasus, that an object will maintain its velocity unless acted upon by an external resultant force. In other words, there's no braking. It was only a dialogue slip, but it was cringeworthy nonetheless (especially without McKay taking this opportunity, like every other, to correct him) primarily because after 'Space Race', I don't trust the writers to have written it as just a figure of speech.

BOND VILLAIN OF THE WEEK: The Wraith virus for its unnecessarily slow and hence preventable plan to kill the crew by radiation poisoning. Just turn of the life support or launch an F-302 to break a few windows.

CHEERLEADER OF THE WEEK: Why did Teyla sound so dumb and peppy at the end of this episode? She usually sounds much more commanding and full of prescence.

UNRELIABLE GOD-TECH OF THE WEEK: In 'Prodigy' (another episode written by M&M and directed by Peter DeLuise, but containing a lot more charm), the Stargate flipped Carter and Haley around so they they exited the wormhole on opposite sides of each other. In this episode, that continuity gaff was beaten as the Asgard transporter beams out Shepherd sitting in the cockpit and the F-302 and rematerialises him on the bridge standing up. This time it was so obvious it was laughable. I'm surprised DeLuise of all people missed the opportunity for slapstick moment when Shepherd rematerialises and falls on his arse.

RELIABLE GOD-TECH OF THE WEEK: Speaking of missed transporter slapstick, why after the too-corny-and-drawn-out to-remain-funny-after-the-initial-one-second-of-amusement scene of McKay preparing for a risky transport, did the transport work perfectly depositing McKay and Shepherd on the floor perfectly balanced?

DEAD HORSE OF THE WEEK: McKay's outbursts in the face of imminent destruction is getting a little stale now. When he barked, "We're sitting ducks!" I had a feeling I'd seen David Hewlett deliver that line before in exactly the same manner. The repetitiveness of this kind of McKay line is getting to be annoying.

LABOUR SHORTAGE OF THE WEEK: Where's the Daedalus's chief medical officer? Why is Beckett in charge?

GRATUITOUS ROLE OF THE WEEK: That would be Weir. She was always hanging around in sensitive areas while knowledgeable people did important things. She was really only getting in their way.

DISORIENTATION OF THE WEEK: I guess this goes to Shepherd for forgetting that he's in SPACE and not in an F-22 trying to destroy a transmitter on the USS Nimitz in the middle of the Pacific. He didn't needn't to do a flypast of the transmitter while spraying bullets at random. He just needed to station keep with the Daedalus and carefully fire one or two shots at the transmitter.

gopher65
2005-Oct-26, 10:57 PM
yeah the first few eps of season 2 of atlantis weren't that great IMO(after the premire). Weir is quite weak for a while, and taela is annoyingly ... I dunno... not useful. Mckay is annoying all the time though;). He's still my favorite character in any case.

Daniel H.
2005-Oct-29, 07:58 AM
BOND VILLAIN OF THE WEEK: The Wraith virus for its unnecessarily slow and hence preventable plan to kill the crew by radiation poisoning. Just turn of the life support or launch an F-302 to break a few windows.

Actually they did make some mention of that. It couldn't just turn off life support because all the computers that life support used were physically seperated from the network that the virus had access to, and unlike the F-302s, the life support computers had no remote access ability. The bottom line is that life support's an isolated system specifically to prevent someone screwing with it from any old random computer console.

As for launching an F-302, I assume they've got some provisions in place for pressure loss, so breaking some windows wouldn't kill more than a couple of people and it needed to kill everyone.

Additionally after getting some sleep:

THE KIRK "THIS IS THE MOST DANGEROUS PLANET IN THE GALAXY SO LET'S BEAM DOWN ALL THE SENIOR STAFF" SYNDROME OF THE WEEK: So all the main cast, exclusing Teyla whose not from Earth, get to go home at the same time. This includes the person in charge of the Atlantis expedition, the ranking military officer, the head scientist and the chief medical officer.

I don't see what the problem is in this case. The Wraith assumed the city was gone and so they left. The expedition's focus for the next couple of weeks will be clean up from the battle, and getting city fully up and running; not sending out more research expeditions. So during this time where they're less needed the department heads step back through the Stargate for a fuller briefing on what's going on at home, and a recruitment drive which the department heads need to have a say in. They then head back with new supplies and staff aboard a ship that's been missed in transit twice by the Wraith, and can outrun anything the Wraith have been seen to have, and was checked for any Wraith stowaways. That's hardly sending the five most senior ship officers down to a planet full of hungry monsters.