PDA

View Full Version : Some Parts Need More Protecting from Radiation

Fraser
2005-Oct-27, 07:44 PM
SUMMARY: One of the hazards of human spaceflight is the radiation damage of solar storms and cosmic rays. But it turns out the different parts of the human body are more susceptible to radiation than others. Although the best protection would be to get under cover, like in a spacecraft, future spacesuits could have extra radiation protection for specific areas of the body, like the hips (to prevent bone marrow damage).

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/parts_more_radiation_protecting.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Hermes
2005-Oct-27, 09:13 PM
I am a little perplexed. Can't NASA leverage off the Apollo space suits?.
I don't think too many of those astronauts have died from radiation.
Of course, a policy of continuous improvement is always good, but if they didn't go to the moon in the first place then they would have to do the research this time around. You know, to get past that pesky Van Allen belt.

Van Rijn
2005-Oct-27, 09:49 PM
I am a little perplexed. Can't NASA leverage off the Apollo space suits?.
I don't think too many of those astronauts have died from radiation.
Of course, a policy of continuous improvement is always good, but if they didn't go to the moon in the first place then they would have to do the research this time around. You know, to get past that pesky Van Allen belt.

They weren't there long and they weren't there when there was a solar flare. If there had been a bad one, they could have gotten quite sick. Apollo style suits offered limited protection. If we send people back to work on the moon (or anywhere above the Van Allen belts) we're going to want better protection, both for solar storm protection and to reduce long term exposure.

trinitree88
2005-Oct-27, 11:00 PM
One of the odd jobs a relative had as a co-op student at Northeastern University, was working at Dana Farber Cancer Institute...the "rat factory". They were investigating methods of alleviating radiation damage incurred by treating cancer patients with high doses of ionizing radiation ....cancer cells dividing more rapidly than most body tissues...were very susceptible to the radiation (this was the sixties). Interestingly, they found that if two rats were grafted to each other, so that they shared a common blood supply...they could as a pair withstand 10 times the radiation that they could as individuals......so will astronauts be attached with venous shunts to do the same??? :think: Ciao. Pete.

Hermes
2005-Oct-28, 12:54 AM
Perhaps we could send all the siamese twins into space

cran
2005-Oct-28, 01:29 AM
Fraser - future spacesuits could have extra radiation protection for specific areas of the body, like the hips (to prevent bone marrow damage).
Oh great! Space-age bustles ... the next fashion statement :eek:

Matthew
2005-Oct-28, 06:18 AM
Also a lot of the reproductive organs are in the hip/pelvic region so this is fairly important for astronauts who may want to have a faamily after getting back on ground.