PDA

View Full Version : Geophysics/geology counterpart to BAUT?

Nereid
2005-Oct-29, 06:58 PM
Dennis, and his Expanding Earth idea, is being discussed (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=5728&page=12) in the ATM section.

I expect that the astrophysics parts of the EE claims will be quickly challenged, with glee and fervour; some may also vigourously attack the "analog models of gravity (or ether sink view)".

However, the geophysics/geology part will likely go untested, here in BAUT, if only because it seems we have so few members with sufficient backgrounds in those subjects.

Does anyone know if there is a reputable geophysics/geology internet discussion board/forum? One with content rules similar to ours here in BAUT?

cran
2005-Oct-30, 11:49 AM
No, but there are BAUT members with backgrounds in the geosciences (students and professionals) - it's just that BAUT is centrally concerned about space related questions/issues. Geoscience contributions have turned up, mainly as side issues to other questions - and geoscience can also boast its fair share of 'ATM' supporters (and 'mainstream' critics). Give it a bit of time; if astrophysics can successfully overturn an 'expanding earth' hypothesis (which must include an explanation for a 'tumbling' magnetic field ... and ophiolites ... and, I note on a quick reading, an explanation for the Tethys ocean which couldn't have existed as understood in EE and which cannot be disappearing ... and reconciling the 'slow motion of the Pacific with respect to the continents' when the Pacific plate has been measured as the fastest - an OOM greater than the Atlantic expansion...)... then there seems little need to add a geoscience debate (debacle?) to the mix.

cran
2005-Nov-01, 11:12 AM
PS. EE would also need to explain subduction zones and other convergent zones, and tomography results which indicate mantle convection, and why the 'expansion' appears to be lop-sided ... and then we could look at the 'mass-gain' process ...

ExpErdMann
2005-Nov-01, 02:51 PM
Those points would be better placed in the ATM threads on EE, where they could be debated.

On Nereid's question, I don't think there is such a board. The reason I say that is, if there was, some of the EE scientists I know would be posting there and would have mentioned it. The Google groups on geology are pretty hopeless, with way too many personal insults. While on one hand I think it would be good to have a BAUT-style geology board, on the other it seems like geology is becoming part of astronomy. The data coming back from Mars is mostly of interest to geologists and this trend will continue as we get more projects at Venus, the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, etc.

It could also be an idea to set up a part of BAUT for geologists. There was the forum on Mars in the old BABB that could be a sort of precedent for that (what happened to that forum BTW?)

cran
2005-Nov-01, 04:07 PM
Those points would be better placed in the ATM threads on EE, where they could be debated. I've only seen the one - from the link in Nereid's post above - which I have since noted has been going for more than two years ... I have also since noted that most of the points I included in my previous have been raised in that thread (some more often than others), but not clearly answered or debated (ie, if they were answered, I didn't see it) ... if, after two years, the discussion has not progressed, then it seems that something more convincing to either side will have to be produced ... I doubt I can contribute anything new.

On Nereid's question, I don't think there is such a board. The reason I say that is, if there was, some of the EE scientists I know would be posting there and would have mentioned it. The Google groups on geology are pretty hopeless, with way too many personal insults. Agreed; at least, I've not found one.

While on one hand I think it would be good to have a BAUT-style geology board, on the other it seems like geology is becoming part of astronomy. The data coming back from Mars is mostly of interest to geologists and this trend will continue as we get more projects at Venus, the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, etc.
It could also be an idea to set up a part of BAUT for geologists. There was the forum on Mars in the old BABB that could be a sort of precedent for that (what happened to that forum BTW?) Agreed. I suggested something similar for UT before the merger, and for the same reason.

Argos
2005-Nov-01, 04:18 PM
I think Grapes is our resident geologist.

ExpErdMann
2005-Nov-01, 04:24 PM
If that's the former GrapesofWrath, kilopi, milli360, he seems to be inactive of late. 0 posts!

Argos
2005-Nov-01, 04:34 PM
hhEb09'1 is the current incarnation. :)

hhEb09'1
2005-Nov-01, 06:14 PM
hhEb09'1 is the current incarnation. :)and final :)

I've responded to one of the threads, but it may take me some time to catch up on the discussion.

ExpErdMann
2005-Nov-01, 06:47 PM
Glad to hear you're still with us!