PDA

View Full Version : Gravity merely an illusion?

devilmech
2005-Nov-02, 12:42 PM
Not sure how many of you have read the latest Scientific American, but this will deal somewhat with that. The cover article is an overview of a quantam theory of gravity. It states that "a universe that exists in two dimensions and is without gravity may be completely equivalent to a three-dimensional universe with gravity. The three-dimensional universe would emerge from the physics of the two-dimensional universe somewhat like a holographic image arising from a hologram."

After reading the entire thing, I'm now pretty convinced that a quantam theory of gravity would provide a way to reconcile gravity with electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces, which would be of immeasurable benefit when it comes to considering black holes and other heretofore brain-wracking problems of physics. According to the article, while the mathematics involved haven't been "rigorously proved", they have proved useful in analyzing experimental high-energy physics results.

Perhaps this will finally be a way to realize Einstein's dream of a "theory of everything" without having to resort to such theories as string theory, which as of yet has still to provide a testable prediction.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Anyone with a subscription to the digital version of Scientific American can read the article here http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=0002B59B-5B5C-1359-9B5C83414B7F0119

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-02, 02:15 PM
it reminds me of a bit from a webcomic, "Men in Hats" or something. While I don't necessarily agree fully:

"Evolution is just a theory!" 'Yes, but theories are rigorously tested and held up to scientific standards of evidence. Technically, Gravity is just a theory too..... what are you doing?' "Oh, I'll fly, darn you."

The reason I disagree is because you can't really equate evolution to gravity, exactly. :P