PDA

View Full Version : Look Up, You Might See a Fireball

Fraser
2005-Nov-03, 08:40 PM
SUMMARY: Have you seen some really bright meteors in the sky? You might have been lucky enough to see a fireball from the Taurid meteor shower. Every year in late October, early November, the Earth slams into the dust trail left behind Comet Encke. The tiny grains strike our atmosphere traveling at 105,000 kph (65,000 mph) and explode, leaving a bright trail that we see in the sky. 2005 could be a very special year for the Taurid meteor shower, which is due to peak between November 5th and November 12th.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/look_up_fireball.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

miles2far
2005-Nov-04, 12:23 AM
hey all,

its the thunder from down under,

will we be able to see the shower in Australia, what are the best times to see them and which direction will they come from,,

if someone can let me know it would be much appreciated

regards
Miles
Sydney, Australia

Titana
2005-Nov-04, 05:44 AM
Now i know what i have seen before. I have seen something very similar, but never knew what it was until now.

Titana.........

ToSeek
2005-Nov-04, 03:13 PM
One in my area made the news. (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=34415)

Kylie16
2005-Nov-10, 01:06 AM
I live in Canberra, Australia. Yesterday myself and some friends saw a bright orange.... object... it kind of looked like a comet - just a ball of orange and a tail falling (absolutely flying) towards the ground. We lost sight of it when it went behind a hill but it must not have hit as we've heard nothing about it...

Does anyone know what this was, or might have been. It was definately orange and moving very fast. There was no smoke trail or anything following it - just the orange tail... It looked very cool.

Jakenorrish
2005-Nov-10, 11:08 AM
I saw an absolute beauty last night. I was surprised as it was well before midnight (about 10.15pm), but it was a very bright, orangey fast moving meteor moving from East to South West in the sky. It almost split it in half! Not sure whether it was from the meteor shower or just random, but it was a breathtaking sight!

rob tillaart
2005-Nov-11, 08:18 AM
Here a short overview. more stars mean more stars :)

Jan 3-4 Quadrantids (**)
Apr 21-22 April Lyrids
May 4-5 Eta Aquarids
Jul 28-29 Delta Aquarids
Aug 12-13 Perseids (**)
Oct 21-22 Orionids (*)
Nov 3-13 Taurids
Nov 16-17 Leonids
Dec 13-14 Geminids (**)
Dec 21-22 Ursids

regards,
rob

Jakenorrish
2005-Nov-11, 11:37 AM
Forgot about the Leonids, are they supposed to be good this year?

Wolverine
2005-Nov-18, 05:37 PM
The Moon's going to spoil the peak, unfortunately. From the predictions I've seen around the web this year's shower isn't expected to be much of a knockout anyway.

Big Brother Dunk
2005-Nov-21, 07:03 AM
That's an absolutely remarkable photo. The chances of seeing a fireball are slim enough, and to catch one on film...wow!