PDA

View Full Version : One for Lianachan

Glom
2005-Nov-04, 05:21 PM
Lianachan's point about FFF appearing to defend rather than promote got me thinking. I think the Clavius style is consistent with what I'm wanted the site to be, but then perhaps there is room for a page early on that does promote nuclear power rather than defend it against the opposition.

So, that led me to rush-create this (http://www.geocities.com/freedomforfission/deb/advantage.html). It's brief, and I plan to flesh it out more. I've rated it at 1, meaning it covers the basics but needs more work. I think it complements the structure a bit more since it is the first page after the admin page so it serves as a sort of intro to the theme of the site.

Swift
2005-Nov-04, 05:25 PM
Good idea and not a bad first pass. I suspect you could add even. You could say that nuclear power does not release carbon dioxide and thus does not contribute to global warming, but I suspect you won't ;) .

Lianachan
2005-Nov-04, 07:42 PM
You caught me on my way out for a weekend in (even more) the middle of nowhere, I'll be out of touch for a few days. I'll have a look on Sunday or Monday, and will comment then.

(just wanted to explain my apparent lack of interest!)

Thanks for bearing what I said in mind.

:)

Zachary
2005-Nov-04, 10:20 PM
It's a nice page. Though going back to the main site I couldn't find anywhere that touches upon the issue that mining and refining uranium ore releases an awful lot of carbon dioxide which kinda tarnishes it's carbon-neutrality. This probably isn't a big issue for you but it's worth addressing if you want to win over hearts and minds (apparently mining and processing releases 70% as much CO2 as a coal plant, however I assume that's using the open cycle, how much is this figure reduced when the closed cycle is used?)

Glom
2005-Nov-10, 12:55 AM
It's a nice page. Though going back to the main site I couldn't find anywhere that touches upon the issue that mining and refining uranium ore releases an awful lot of carbon dioxide which kinda tarnishes it's carbon-neutrality. This probably isn't a big issue for you but it's worth addressing if you want to win over hearts and minds (apparently mining and processing releases 70% as much CO2 as a coal plant, however I assume that's using the open cycle, how much is this figure reduced when the closed cycle is used?)

That's not really right. Most of the carbon dioxide from the nuclear fuel cycle comes from enrichment, but that's because generally coal is used to power it. The solution to that is obvious. And where does 70% come from? Enrichment amounts to 3% at worst even with coal and that figure goes down radically as centrifuge enrichment is used.