PDA

View Full Version : Science and post-modernism - are they reconcileable?

Zachary
2005-Nov-04, 10:41 PM
Well I was just reading a post made on another forum by somebody trying to defend teaching creationism from a post-modernist point of view. This got me thinking does post-modernism have any place in modern scientific thinking? Iirc post-modernism is essentially based around the belief that there is no absolute truth. Whilst this may be arguable in the arena of philosophy, politics, morality or similar it isn't really applicable in the domain of science as most scientific thinking revolves around an assumption (supported by a truck load of evidence) that there are fundamental truths about the universe (e.g. the law of conservation of energy. Actually it's better than a law because in society you can break a law :D). Imo the day post-modernism is introduced into the scientific mainstream is the day science dies, but that's just me I guess.

Any thoughts?

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Nov-04, 10:50 PM
Actually it's better than a law because in society you can break a law :D
Very true, our society should make some laws like that too, ;) , well even in science a new discovery might end up proving any present law wrong, u know, im not talking about any in particular...
i also wanted to mention when i first read the thread heading i didnot know what reconcileable meant so i looked it up on MS Word and then on wikipedea, where i didnt find any except meanings for reconciliation, i am not sure but is that a real word? i might be totally wrong.. in that case just ignore me.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-05, 11:06 PM
Very true, our society should make some laws like that too, ;) , well even in science a new discovery might end up proving any present law wrong, u know, im not talking about any in particular...
i also wanted to mention when i first read the thread heading i didnot know what reconcileable meant so i looked it up on MS Word and then on wikipedea, where i didnt find any except meanings for reconciliation, i am not sure but is that a real word? i might be totally wrong.. in that case just ignore me.

uuuuh - I don't think this will work.. a law is fundamental. It's been poven both empirically and mathematically. Theories are breakable, at least in theory 8-{)}
If some new discovery breaks a natural law, then the law wasn't expressed properly...

as for reconcileable... just chalk it up to not having a spell-check program in here.

Maksutov
2005-Nov-06, 02:35 PM
Well I was just reading a post made on another forum by somebody trying to defend teaching creationism from a post-modernist point of view. This got me thinking does post-modernism have any place in modern scientific thinking?No.

Iirc post-modernism is essentially based around the belief that there is no absolute truth. Whilst this may be arguable in the arena of philosophy, politics, morality or similar it isn't really applicable in the domain of science as most scientific thinking revolves around an assumption (supported by a truck load of evidence) that there are fundamental truths about the universe (e.g. the law of conservation of energy. Actually it's better than a law because in society you can break a law :D). Imo the day post-modernism is introduced into the scientific mainstream is the day science dies, but that's just me I guess.

Any thoughts?Post-modernism is to science as intelligent design is to evolution.

As ID is creationism in a slightly different guise, post-modernism is just new age baloney dressed up in a different costume.

Same old baloney.

And of course it's taken over a lot of areas of collegiate academia. Not unexpected since it's following the same infection paths that the original new age crap did during the 1960s and 1970s.

Same old baloney.

lti
2005-Nov-07, 08:18 AM
post-modernism, new ageism. its all the same.

its meaningless and undermines meaning in everything. it has no place in science, or even in society.

Argos
2005-Nov-07, 01:56 PM
Post-modernism has set the stage for the cultural relativism. I have seen people using Einstein´s Relativity to support the assumption that all points of view are equally valid. :eek:

LurchGS
2005-Nov-07, 11:48 PM
Post-modernism has set the stage for the cultural relativism. I have seen people using Einsteinīs Relativity to support the assumption that all points of view are equally valid. :eek:

Oh, my (pardon the expression) god!

I bet they live in Boulder

Fortis
2005-Nov-08, 01:06 AM
It reminds me of the old joke about what you get if you cross a mafioso godfather with a post-modernist philosopher? Someone who makes you an offer that you don't understand.

I guess you had to be there... ;)

publiusr
2005-Nov-09, 10:04 PM
Thats the best one I've heard today!
I love it! Take that Derrida!

The only one more funny than that I heard on NPR the other day. (Wait Wait! Don't Tell me! IIRC)

There was talk about questionable on-line buying practices of folks in the UK while on a tear.

"That's a whole new kind of drunk."

TriangleMan
2005-Nov-09, 10:24 PM
Here's an interesting Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashionable_Nonsense) that is directly related to postmodernism and science.

enginelessjohn
2005-Nov-10, 08:42 PM
It reminds me of the old joke about what you get if you cross a mafioso godfather with a post-modernist philosopher? Someone who makes you an offer that you don't understand.

I guess you had to be there... ;)

Thread derail warning! The version I heard was the Scottish Mafia making you an offer you can't understand. (I can say that, I'm Scottish...)

Cheers
John

eburacum45
2005-Nov-10, 10:07 PM
heh heh!

----
If you ever need to write a postmodernist essay, try this link!
It generates random postmodernism.
http://www.elsewhere.org/cgi-bin/postmodern/
Try it again! It's different every time.

Maksutov
2005-Nov-11, 06:56 AM
Thread derail warning! The version I heard was the Scottish Mafia making you an offer you can't understand. (I can say that, I'm Scottish...)

Cheers
JohnThen there was the Jewish Mafia making you an offer you have to accept because you feel guilty about not calling your mother.

The Redneck Mafia making you an offer that your dog won't hunt.

The Southern California Mafia making you an offer that you can't mellow out of.

The Valley Mafia making you an offer, that's like, totally awesome for them, but for you, like, it's skipping the mall for a week? Fer sure, fer sure, and you can like refuse it and like go to some more clothing stores and stuff? Oh my Goh-od! That would be, like, seh-ow ba-a-a-a-d? NO WAY!

The New England Mafia makin' ya an wicked good offah ya cahn't tuhn dahn.

Plus the Garbage Collector Mafia making you an offer you can't refuse.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Nov-13, 12:42 AM
Well I was just reading a post made on another forum by somebody trying to defend teaching creationism from a post-modernist point of view. This got me thinking does post-modernism have any place in modern scientific thinking? Iirc post-modernism is essentially based around the belief that there is no absolute truth.Reading the Wikipedia's page on postmodernism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postmodernism), I don't get quite that impression.

Walrus
2005-Nov-13, 01:30 AM
As a history major at a liberal arts college, I have been frustrated by the relatively common sentiment among my professors to believe that scientific reasoning is just ane of a variety of "equally valid" worldviews. Some of them are loath to admit that science has far more explanatory and predictive power than its "copetition." Fortunately, my Old English professor has told me that postmodernism is dead, but that nothing has taken its place. I certainly hope that she's right and that "PoMo" will be replaced by something less absurd fairly soon. I'm not so sure I'm optimistic, though........

montebianco
2005-Nov-13, 02:22 AM
I have seen people using Einsteinīs Relativity to support the assumption that all points of view are equally valid. :eek:

Including points of view with absolute right and wrong? :)