PDA

View Full Version : Tonight's West Wing - Yes, Theories!

Tobin Dax
2005-Nov-07, 02:14 AM
Tonight's West Wing episode was live, and it was a presidential debate between the characters of Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda. (This is a single line, so I don't think it qualifies as a spoiler.) At one point Alda mentions something about believing global warming theories. Smit's response: "Theories?" X( [I'm pretty sure this'll be the same in the west coast broadcast.]

Yes! Theories! All this ID stuff going on, and they have to promote it with this kind of ignorance. Argh! Up until that point, I think I was for Smit's candidate. Apparently handing out good science education is better than having it. (Education is a big part of the platform, for those who don't watch the show.)

Crum
2005-Nov-07, 02:40 PM
I liked the show. Excellent actors, both. It seems evident to me that this was a miscue. Alan Alda's character comments seem disparaging against global warming, and I think he missed saying the word "theories" at the end of his sentence prior to Smit's character response "Theories?" (incredulously). Both of them are seen to be holding down laughter momentarily, evidence in my mind that they both noticed the incongruence but had to go on since the show was live.

I didn't see anything about Intelligent Design in the debate, so I'm really not sure where your outrage on that count comes from. Perhaps you were hoping for something on it?

Josh
2005-Nov-07, 08:51 PM
I haven't watched this episode yet so can't comment on the ID debate. I'll get it on Friday night. Episode 7.4 (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=34014) did discuss Intelligent Design though. I thought it was handled very well.

Live huh? just like a real ddebate. this should be good.

Jim
2005-Nov-07, 10:17 PM
Here are the results of a Zogby poll following the debate.

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1038

(The best one is that a large majority enjoyed the fake debate more than a real one!)

publiusr
2005-Nov-09, 08:44 PM
If only the parties had candidates as bright.

Tobin Dax
2005-Nov-11, 10:30 PM
Sorry about not responding for so long. It's been a busy week.

There seems to have been a slight misunderstanding, though. I didn't mean that the candidates mentioned ID, but rather that the misuse of "theory" helps to propogate that type of antiscience. That misuse (instead of taking advantage of a golden opportunity) is what irks me so.