PDA

View Full Version : TAM 4: The BA, and now Ed Lu!

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Nov-08, 12:48 AM
James "The Amazing" Randi has a skeptical conference called The Amaz!ng Meeting (http://www.tam4.com/) (or TAM) every year, and the next one is January 26-29, 2006. I will be there, acting as MC for half a day and also giving a talk on creationism.

The list of guest speakers is incredible, but I just found out Randi will have astronaut Ed Lu as a guest as well! Randi claims he will levitate Ed "...if he can conquer his fear of heights" :D I think this meeting will be of interest to a lot of BAUTers.

Early registration ends November 10, just so's you know.

bearcub
2005-Nov-08, 01:02 AM
Very cool. Dr. Lu has a pretty impressive resume and I'm looking forward to seeing him there.

You also answered a question I was going to ask you BA. I wasn't sure what topic you were going to cover at this year's TAM. Sounds like it'll be a hoot!

See ya in Vega$.

mickal555
2005-Nov-09, 10:44 AM
hope there'll be an amazing meeting XVIII cause It'll take me that long to get their :(

I'll spend a couple of mounths over there though- go to the Texas star party- then up to canada... :)

untill then...

Hutch
2005-Nov-09, 02:56 PM
...and already looking forward to it.

At this time, Triangle Man, bearcub and I, and very likely Candy will be going to TAM4. Iinformation can also be obtained at the JREF Forums (which are down the morning of Wednesday 9 Nov), there is a sub-fora dedicated to the TAM4.

If you're coming, you can look for a large group of folks wearing JREF Forum badges (could be nearly 60 of us) and feel free to hang around. The BABB highly respected at the JREF, as is the Bad Astronomer, who posts there on a semi-regular basis (but we're much to rowdy for him, you know...)

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Nov-10, 09:04 PM
HMmmm... Hadnt heard about this meeting or conf before sounds intriging, well i wished i lived in canada, tough luck...

publiusr
2005-Nov-10, 09:13 PM
I'd like to see Randi levitate Oberg.

I wonder if he would need a heavy-lifter for that?

(Ducks and runs.)

Candy
2005-Nov-11, 04:22 AM
I got my ticket! :dance:

TriangleMan
2005-Nov-11, 05:15 PM
I can't wait to go either (not only is TAM fun but I love Las Vegas). :dance:

LurchGS
2005-Nov-12, 06:08 AM
and i get to experience my usual level of frustration when things aren't held locally. The biggest downside of owning your own company is that you can't just go off and do things.

Often. (did my cool thing for the year, already)

------------------

well scratch my back with a brillo pad!

Candy
2005-Nov-19, 06:15 PM
I'm rooming with a stranger. :shifty:

I've put myself on the site seeing list started by the folks at JREF. I'm really looking forward to seeing the Hoover Dam. I've never been to Las Vegas before, so this is somewhat scary for me. These guys and gals seem like a good crowd. I look forward to making some new friends.

George
2005-Nov-19, 06:22 PM
I suspect you are gonna love it, Candy. There is a great deal of elegance and excitment in those big hotels.

I won't make it, I'll be in San Diego. :(

DukePaul
2005-Nov-23, 09:00 PM
I will be "remote viewing" the conference and I will draw stick figures of everyone to prove it.

Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
2005-Nov-28, 02:15 AM
Phil has kindly allowed me to mention the TAM4 scholarship fund. This fund collects donations and uses the money to cover the TAM registration fee for people who cannot otherwise afford to attend. So far this year we are covering the registration fees for 17 people!

If you would like to make a donation or put in a request for assistance from the fund, please visit this page:

http://www.tam4.com/scholarship.html

Don't miss the special donation bonus. It doesn't get any better than maple syrup.

~~ Paul

Wolverine
2005-Nov-28, 02:18 AM
Hiya Paul, nice to see you here. :)

Chaos
2005-Nov-30, 01:05 PM
I´ll be there, too.

...and chocolate! Never forget chocolate!

(*obscure reference to TAM2+ tradition*) :)

TriangleMan
2005-Nov-30, 01:14 PM
Hi Choas!

First Paul Anagnostopoulos, then Choas. This thread is starting to become a off-site JREF reunion, before you know it Interesting Ian will be in the ATM forum while another certain poster damns us all to HELLFIRE. :D

mickal555
2005-Dec-02, 06:50 PM
oooooooooww

look at all the famouse people going!!
Randi
Mythbusters!!! that is my favorate show
Penn and teller !! second favorate!!! (next is Rove live)
The BA!!!

wow...

If only it was held is brissie....

ah well maybe when I'm 20-somthing I'll make a trip... maybe it won't cost so much to fly over then....

TQuilla
2005-Dec-07, 06:55 PM
Yes, Triangle Man, it IS starting to become an "off-site JREF reuinion"!

TQuilla & Gizm0 will definitely be at TAM4!

TriangleMan
2005-Dec-07, 09:12 PM
That's great, it'll be wonderful to see you two again! :)

Is Sally going as well?

TQuilla
2005-Dec-07, 09:32 PM
Wow! What a memory. Sallie will be flattered to hear that you remembered. She's doing lawyer-ly things, but we hope she'll break free and join us.

I'm so excited about the guest list this year! Like everyone else, I'm psyched about Jamie and Adam. But I'm also pretty pumped up about seeing Murray Gell-Mann and Carolyn Porco. Not to mention Our Own BA. And now Dr. Lu has been added. TAM4 is going to be yet another great experience.

Gizm0 and I look forward to the paper presentations on Sunday. It turned out to be out favorite day last year. Good stuff!

TriangleMan
2005-Dec-13, 12:56 PM
FYI, they just announced a tour of the Red Rocks on the JREF board.

Red Rocks Tour:
Ray Beiersdorfer (aka "Slick"), a professor of geology at
Youngstown State University, and JREF-intern Evelyn Mervine, a geology
student at Dartmouth College, will be leading an optional geological
tour of Red Rocks Canyon on Sunday, January 29th. The tour will take
place in the afternoon after the paper presentations are finished.
Anyone interested in taking the tour should send Evelyn an email at:
Evelyn(at)randi.org. The tour is free, but field trip participants will
provide their own transportation and entrance fee. We will carpool as
much as possible. The field trip will include some non-strenuous
walking along trails within the canyon. Depending on how many people
are interested, we may need to limit the number of people on the tour.

Candy
2005-Dec-13, 08:21 PM
I've got the days off from work. I'm now in the process of picking courses for school - can't decide on a concentration. I think I will ask my mom and stepdad up to watch the cat. She got sick when I went to St Louis.

TriangleMan
2006-Feb-02, 05:57 PM
Okay I'm back from TAM4! It was good to see BA, TQuilla, Hutch and the rest of the JREF gang again. Even had dinner with bearcub, who managed to track me down because my avatar was on my nametag (kudos to Girl6 for making up those avatar-badges).

I saw unclaimed badges for Candy and Wolverine, so I assumed something happened at the last minute so they couldn't go. :(

TAM5 will likely be in Vegas again next year, I highly recommend people plan for it as it is a wonderful event that is worth seeing. I'm sure the Scholarship fund will also be available next year for people on tight budgets - this year the fund helped 42 people get to TAM4!

The talk by Dr. Carolyn Porco alone would have made any BABB-regular drool, let alone being able to meet Murray Gell-Man or the Mythbusters. Try to attend TAM5 if you can, I barely got any sleep the entire time because I was having too much fun. :dance:

Candy
2006-Feb-04, 04:40 AM
School is a bit more than I had anticipated, so I couldn't make it. I need to contact Linda to see if I can either rollover my ticket for next year or get a refund. I'm glad everyone had a good time. :)

Wolverine
2006-Feb-04, 09:57 PM
I saw unclaimed badges for Candy and Wolverine, so I assumed something happened at the last minute so they couldn't go. :(

I heard about that. A friend from JREF took my badge home just for grins in case I wanted to claim it. Thing is, I never had any plans on attending, nor did I register. Wonder why someone made me a badge...

TAM would have been fun, but any disposable cash I can muster is going toward optics/photography/astrophotography.

dcolanduno_old
2006-Feb-05, 09:00 PM
I heard about that. A friend from JREF took my badge home just for grins in case I wanted to claim it. Thing is, I never had any plans on attending, nor did I register. Wonder why someone made me a badge...

TAM would have been fun, but any disposable cash I can muster is going toward optics/photography/astrophotography.

I was SUPPOSED to go... but my brain had this overwhelming desire to get out of my head... :|

Wolverine
2006-Feb-06, 12:22 AM
Glad to see you back, Derek!

bearcub
2006-Feb-08, 12:24 AM
I can only agree with TriangleMan. Try and attend if at all possible next year. It's a great place to meet and talk with interesting people from all over the world.

The presentations were *mostly* very interesting (to me), and the presentors themselves are very approachable and seem to be happy to talk to you and/or sign autographs and/or get a picture taken with you. You might even see multiple Richard Wisemans walking around :think: :D

It was good to meet you this time around T-Man!!

Candy
2006-Feb-08, 05:10 AM

I wonder who got my name tag. :think:

I got a partial refund. :dance:

Hey, Wolverine, if you decide to go next year, we can be roomies. ;)

Hutch
2006-Feb-08, 05:24 PM

My fault, I am afraid. I was responsible for listing all the Forum attendees who were coming to TAM4 and I mixed you up with Triangle Man (I knew it was someone I had met at the BABB) and by the time I realized it and deleted your name, the badge had already been made.

with over 117 names (over 100 actually attended) I'm surprised I didn't mess it up further.

Think about it next year. It really is worth it.

ToSeek
2006-Feb-08, 06:26 PM
I'm going to try to make it next year. I was considering going this year but had some health problems in early January and decided not to push my luck.

Meanwhile, I'm going to unsticky this thread since the event has passed.

Wolverine
2006-Feb-09, 01:14 PM
My fault, I am afraid. I was responsible for listing all the Forum attendees who were coming to TAM4 and I mixed you up with Triangle Man (I knew it was someone I had met at the BABB) and by the time I realized it and deleted your name, the badge had already been made.

Ahha! ;)

Thanks for the note, I was most curious.

dcolanduno_old
2006-Feb-14, 08:10 PM
Glad to see you back, Derek!

Thanks! It is great to be here again! One of those moments where you realized just how much it means to be alive and all! :)