PDA

View Full Version : Time Travel Hypothetical

Obviousman
2005-Nov-08, 09:56 PM
Something like this has no doubt already been asked, but I like to hear people's differing opinions.

If you had the opportunity to travel from the present to sometime in 1900, and would be able to take back with you basically what you could carry (let's just assume a box-full):

1. What devices / objects would you carry?

2. What books would you take?

3. Would you attempt to change (major event) history?

Justify your selection if you so desire.

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-09, 12:05 AM
Well, if I was looking to make a major impact, then:
1. A TI-89 graphing calculator, loaded with games and mathematical software. It is small but would absolutely blow their mind.

A collection of simple solid state devices, a few transistors, diodes, LED's, and simple integrated circuits.

A laser pointer

A pair of 5.8-GHz walky-talkies

A CCD camera and a polaroid camera

A mini ink-jet printer

One of those glow light-sticks

2. A book on modern molecular biology, one that includes detailed descriptiosn of DNA and RNA chemistry, transcription and translation mechanisms, polymerase chain reaction (with Taq), where common endonucleases can be found, and recombinant DNA technology.

A book on microscopic and macroscopic imaging technology, with the mathematics, physics, and chemistry need to implement it, including X-ray crystollgraphy, NMR/MRI (especially fMRI), confocal microscopy, two-photon microscopy, scanning and transmission electron microscopy, positron emission tomography, computer aided tomography, and various contrast agents used in these techniques. Naturally, since several of these techniques involve LASERs then the book would need details regarding LASER physics.

I would probably not bring a book on physics, since special relativity is just a few years away.

3. I would probably try to prevent the rise of Mao after WWII. Preventing the rise of Communist Russia would probably give Nazi Germany too much of an advantage, and vice versus.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Nov-09, 12:23 AM
1. Gun

2. Bullets

3. SHOOT Hitler!!!!

4. I'm Done ...

Candy
2005-Nov-09, 01:11 AM
1. My laptop downloaded with the latest Encyclopedia, Almanac, Atlas, Biographies, Dictionary, etc… (With a good power supply).
2. Books for Dummies (all)
3. No, but I’d start a new history which would probably alter past history.

trinitree88
2005-Nov-09, 01:48 AM
1.Several years of sports, horse-racing results..like the TV show The Early Edition.
2.An ultralight aircraft
3. a Russian plutonium thermoelectric generator.
4 Phoebus.6B desk-sized nuclear reactor
5.an onza
6.a bulletproof vest
7. reverse osmosis membrane salt/fresh water unit
8.a book on tissue culture, mammalian and plant
9 a defibrillator
10.rebreather SCUBA gear
11.Hercules C4 plastic explosives
12 Velcro
13 digital camera
14 microwave oven

Obviousman
2005-Nov-09, 08:14 AM
What you can carry, people, what you can carry.

For my part, I'd be trying to take things that could be reverse engineered to advance technology - but I'm not sure what as yet.

I'd be taking a lot of text books, things that could help advance science at a greater rate than it has.

Changing history? Well, if I released any information I'd change history to a great degree. The temptation to use prior knowledge for financial reward would be tempting (and I'd use it to some degree), but I'd temper it with the idea that once I'd gained from knowledge I'd probably 'changed' history and therefore things may not turn out quite as I expected them to.

Major events? Well, I'm not saying as yet.....

Arneb
2005-Nov-09, 10:35 AM
For me, none of the above. Fiddling with time (http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/DS9/episode/68968.html) rarely makes a successful change. Most people who thought they were Lords over the destiny of human history made a very, very bad impact, even if they start out noble (killing Hitler, for example).

I would put myself into a suit and visit the premieres of Le Sacre du Printemps or Boléro, or Wozzek; maybe, if multiple jumps are allowed, watch the first Bayreuth festival. Visiting the last performance by the Berlin Philharmonic before their old Philharmonie was bombed out in 1943 would be quite meorable. Let's see if I could spot my Godfather, who was a 14 year old boy at the time and was there. If there in Berlin, I might sneak into one of the NSDAP's events to see and hear Hitler speak. I can't for the life of me understand what people saw in him, what made them stand up and cheer in rapture. A little firsthand ewxperience might provide insight into that mass-psychopathology

If allowed to make any time changes at all, I would try to correct glitches in history that are (probably) less important to history at large, but make a difference to me: I would try to sneak into Oscar Wilde's life and treat his chronic otitis media which killed him in the end; talk Anton Webern into not smoking the fateful cigarette outside his house which killed him in 1945 (he was executed on the spot by an American patrol for breaking the curfew); such little things.

What would I need

Some money
Antibiotics
Some other medical equipment (would probably fit into a classical doctor's bag)
the suit
tickets for the various performances, but these could possibly be purchased on the spot. Not a lot, in all.

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Nov-09, 11:51 AM
A whole pile of modern history books, and then send copies
to all world leaders. Hope to instill some common sense into them.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Nov-09, 08:12 PM
What you can carry, people, what you can carry.
Eh ...

Gun, Bullets, Easy ...

He Would Have Been, About 11, Anybody, Have a Problem, With That?

Or, Maybe During, The Great War, Would Anyone, Have Noticed, Yet ANOTHER, Dead Soldier?

A whole pile of modern history books, and then send copies
to all world leaders. Hope to instill some common sense into them.
Not Possible!!!!

Joff
2005-Nov-10, 03:55 AM
I'm with Arneb... it's very difficult to judge what would have what effect. Given that the potential for time travel exists, I might go back and guard Churchill instead of killing Hitler. At least I know what the outcome of that action is, and however bad it is, it could be worse. And otherwise maintain the history I know - bribe a certain publisher to print an article by an unknown patent clerk, perhaps... I'm not saying I wouldn't take advantage of foreknowledge (like the sports results); just that I would do it in a minimal-impact way.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Nov-10, 05:17 AM
I'm with Arneb... it's very difficult to judge what would have what effect. Given that the potential for time travel exists, I might go back and guard Churchill instead of killing Hitler. At least I know what the outcome of that action is, and however bad it is, it could be worse. And otherwise maintain the history I know - bribe a certain publisher to print an article by an unknown patent clerk, perhaps... I'm not saying I wouldn't take advantage of foreknowledge (like the sports results); just that I would do it in a minimal-impact way.
You Could, Do Both ...

At One Point, During, The Great War, Hitler was Close Enough, To Have Been SHOT, By Churchill!!!

If Someone, Standing Next To Churchill, Had Just, Been a Better Shot, Hitler Would Have Died, Pure and Simple!

:think:

hhEb09'1
2005-Nov-10, 06:04 PM
Well, if I was looking to make a major impact, then:
1. A TI-89 graphing calculator, loaded with games and mathematical software. It is small but would absolutely blow their mind.

A collection of simple solid state devices, a few transistors, diodes, LED's, and simple integrated circuits.

A laser pointer

A pair of 5.8-GHz walky-talkies

A CCD camera and a polaroid cameraNo batteries? :)
I suppose we could rig up something, but just imagine showing off the walkie-talkies for a few days, drawing a crowd, and then not being able to use them.

Big Brother Dunk
2005-Nov-10, 06:48 PM
I'd take a camera, a lighter(s), and a fully loaded laptop. And lots of batteries for both the camera and laptop. I'd also take something to defend myself with.