PDA

View Full Version : Red Dwarf VII

Glom
2005-Nov-09, 02:27 PM
Now that I have the DVD, it seems like this season was full of turmoil. Apparently, there was a rather messy divorce between Grant and Naylor, apparently due to Grant being a jerk. The writing team assembled to replace Grant would explain why this season had eight episodes rather than the usual six. There was also Barrie being full of himself and deciding to leave. Ed Bye decided to get rid of the live audience, which would explain why the laughter seemed far more lacklustre than in other seasons. Apparently, there were problems with the models department, and a bit of sourness there.

Damburger
2005-Nov-09, 03:10 PM
I'm not a big fan of the later series. IMHO the show peaked around season 4.

Neither Rob Grant or Doug Naylor can make Red Dwarf work on their own. I get the feeling that of the two, Naylor is more the sci-fi nerd and Grant provides more of the character comedy. There was a distinct lack of the latter in series VII.

captain swoop
2005-Nov-10, 11:15 AM
I haven't watched it beyond series 6, I tried to watch 7 but it was just a rehash of old plots and seemed like a different show, no-one seemed to be in character anymore.

Up until then it's still one of my fave comedies ( I don't class it as Sci-Fi but as a sitcom that happens to be in space)

Rocketstu
2005-Nov-10, 11:35 AM
Bought the latest DVD on Monday (day of release), but not watched it in full yet. I still believe one of the best episodes is in the last series.......can't remember the episode, but it's where they shrink and go through the vent system of Red Dwarf....."Rat arsed" :D

Jakenorrish
2005-Nov-10, 12:49 PM
It lost the plot after series 5. That was the best lot as far as I'm concerned. The episode where they get attacked by the despair squid was hilarious. They could never better it.

From that series on they seemed to be crowbarring Dwane Dibly and Ace Rimmer in anytime they could.

captain swoop
2005-Nov-11, 02:26 PM
Yup, recycling plots, it's always a sign of the end, Like Stargate for the last couple of series.

Lianachan
2005-Nov-16, 03:29 PM
I think series 2 was the last one I watched, or enjoyed anyway. Never a huge fan in any case.

captain swoop
2005-Nov-17, 10:30 AM
The first 2 series were different to the rest, they were about people that dislike each other forced together , the classic sitcom set up. Think of Steptoe and Son, Bottom, Rising Damp, Never the Twain, Porridge and so on. Where they are isn't important.

After series 2 they became more of a Sci Fi show, the writers admitted that if they had pitched it as Sci-Fi series they wouldn't have got it made.

Jakenorrish
2005-Nov-17, 11:56 AM
Even so, it seemed to get better and better until about series 5. After that, the rehashing of plotlines, as well as the lack of initiative in bringing new people in was quite evident. The show plummeted downhill as a result. The last series was terrible. Not at all funny, which was why they pulled the plug.

captain swoop
2005-Nov-18, 10:00 AM
I have to agree, 5 was about the pinacle.

oynaz
2005-Dec-05, 01:22 AM
"Quarantine" is one of the funniest things I have ever watched.

captain swoop
2005-Dec-05, 10:18 AM
'What's Dead and Dead and Dead again?'

I liked the episode where they end up on the 'Psi Moon' inside Rimmers mind. Terrorform from Season V
and Bodyswap from 3

captain swoop
2005-Dec-05, 10:20 AM
Here is a link to all the red Dwarf Scripts (http://www.reddwarf.nildram.co.uk/rd-seasons.htm#1)

mid
2005-Dec-05, 03:33 PM
The writing team assembled to replace Grant would explain why this season had eight episodes rather than the usual six.

If memory serves, series 7 and 8 actually have the extra episodes to get them to the magic number of 52 (one for each week of the year). At which point, selling it for syndication in the US and elsewhere is a lot easier, apparently.

James_Digriz
2005-Dec-06, 03:28 AM
I agree with everyone saying the first seasons were the best. It fell apart for me the season they added Christine Kachanski as a regular cast member.

Up untill then the funniest Sci-Fi show ever. Psirons, Kytens replacement, the backwards episode, Transmorgrification, "Im putting it on!" "Don't put it on!!!", that Robot erasing the unworthy from existence, when Lister activates the ships autodestruct by getting a fun time crunchie bar, Rimmer and the Hologram ship, that episode where they are wiping the dirt off a sign and it shows a pictograph of some guy throwing up and his intenstines bursting out of his belly. Unmatched stuff.

And classic lines like these:

"There dead. There all dead!"
"Whuuuuu.....but I was only away 2 minutes!!!" (the funniest scene in Sci-Fi history)

"I considered it an insult to my backside which was forced to sit through such putrid, adolesent, schoolgirl mush."

"I....I suddenly feel the need to strut my funky stuff."

"Uh Mr Death sir, it seems there has been a mess up in the bravado dept."

"Try swallowing it!!!!!"
"I have three times!!!!!!"