PDA

View Full Version : Testing relativity with pencil lead

ToSeek
2005-Nov-10, 07:00 PM
Einstein's Relativity Theory Proven With The 'Lead' Of A Pencil (http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/11/051110090022.htm)

Scientists at The University of Manchester have discovered a new way to test Einstein's theory of relativity using the 'lead' of a pencil.

Until now it was only possible to test the theory by building expensive machinery or by studying stars in distant galaxies, but a team of British, Russian and Dutch scientists has now proven it can be done in the lab using an ultra-thin material called Graphene.

publiusr
2005-Nov-10, 07:14 PM
It would be nice if the actual pencil lead Einstein used to write his equations was harvested for the graphene.

peteshimmon
2005-Nov-10, 07:20 PM
Dammit you just beat me! I was going to say they
should use a biro as pencil can be erased!

Wolverine
2005-Nov-18, 09:35 AM
Poor word choice in the article title as theories are never "proven" -- relativity included.

"E=mc2?" Exponent please?

Fram
2005-Nov-18, 09:50 AM
The sad thing is that those errors (I'm not entirely convinced that the 'proven' bit is an error though, as it is about a technique, not a theory) come straight from the original press release from the Manchester University. I'm not surprised that mass media make such errors, but a University should do better...

publiusr
2005-Nov-18, 08:22 PM
Language gimps science once again.