PDA

View Full Version : Three of Saturn's Moons

Fraser
2005-Nov-11, 05:24 AM
SUMMARY: In this amazing image taken by NASA's Cassini spacecraft, you can see three of Saturn's moons. Dione is on the left, and it's possible to see a large impact crater on the bottom right. Tethys is in the middle, and tiny Pandora is visible against the rings. Cassini took this image on September 22, 2005 when it was 1.2 million kilometers (800,000 miles) from Saturn.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/three_saturns_moons.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

GBendt
2005-Nov-11, 10:33 AM
This is an impressive picture taken by means of a powerful telephoto equipment. This makes Dione and Thetis look as if they are quite close together, but in fact, their real distance one from the other is much greater than it appears to be on this picture.
The radius of Thetis´ orbit is 294600 km, and the radius of Dione´s orbit is 377000 km. So, their separation one from the other can never be less than 82400 km.
But nevertheless, this picture is very nice.
If it were available in color, NASA would be forced to put up an assembly line for cassini spacecraft mass production.

Spacemad
2005-Nov-11, 11:18 PM
Wow! What an incredible image! The Cassini spacecraft returns more & more of these incredible images!! It's like an artistic rendition of Saturn's moons - only this is for real!!!!
I have saved very many of the images that Cassini has sent back - I could make up a webpage only using the remarkable images that it has sent back. I shall just have to add a further image gallery to the existing ones I have already created!!! (Look out for an updated version of my webpage in the New Year!) :)