PDA

View Full Version : Why UNIX rocks

Gullible Jones
2005-Nov-13, 02:45 AM
No, this ain't the usual blah blah blah about security, stability, etc. This is visual evidence:

http://img497.imageshack.us/img497/4391/screenshot7fy.th.jpg (http://img497.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot7fy.jpg)

Windows Vista can eat my log tails!

</shameless propaganda mode>

GDwarf
2005-Nov-13, 03:21 AM
Ah yes, Vista, the one that animates your windows in 3D, just what everyone wants. It also requires, not recommends, but requires 512MB of RAM to even run, and according to a friend of mine who's Beta testing it, uses all of it.

I just don't understand Microsoft, Windows has some fundamental flaws, rather then fix them they render the entire desktop in 3D with directX...

Gullible Jones
2005-Nov-13, 04:14 AM
Well, in their defence, they did apparently beef up Vista's security.

Also, you can use Aero Diamond instead of Aero Glass, that should allow it to be used on less powerful machines... Although IIRC Aero Glass is the default theme.

At any rate, KDE on *nix can do the same graphical stuff on less powerful hardware without costing you any extra money... So the heck with it.

Stregone
2005-Nov-13, 05:55 AM
Yes, but Gnome sucks. KDE rocks! :p

Though, that gnome preview i saw was pretty cool, The 3d window stuff was neat, but what really caught my eye was the randomized theming. Like having tiger stripped buttons, but each button had a different randomly generated stripe pattern. That was very spiffy.

Matthew
2005-Nov-13, 06:30 AM
I got Fedora Core 4 (yes I know... not cutting edge stuff) but it put me off *nix. I couldn't even change resolutions. Something like that should be a menu option. Not having to edit the shell files which I did, and only the login screen got a resolution change. But Konquerer looks interesting. Might give it a whirl.

Celestial Mechanic
2005-Nov-13, 06:41 AM
I got Fedora Core 4 (yes I know... not cutting edge stuff) but it put me off *nix. I couldn't even change resolutions. Something like that should be a menu option. Not having to edit the shell files which I did, and only the login screen got a resolution change. But Konquerer looks interesting. Might give it a whirl.
Actually, you don't even have to use a menu. On most well-behaved X-Window installations, you should be able to press Ctrl-Alt-Keypad+ and Ctrl-Alt-Keypad- to cycle through the available resolutions. No need for a menu! On the other hand, changing color depths is not as easy, that has to be specified somehow when launching X.

Matthew
2005-Nov-13, 06:51 AM
Actually, you don't even have to use a menu. On most well-behaved X-Window installations, you should be able to press Ctrl-Alt-Keypad+ and Ctrl-Alt-Keypad- to cycle through the available resolutions. No need for a menu! On the other hand, changing color depths is not as easy, that has to be specified somehow when launching X.

I don't believe it. I ask this question on computer forums and I get instructions on what to modify in the shell. Go on an astronomy forum and I get a simple answer. Thanks! I'll try that out.

Edit: spelling

Gullible Jones
2005-Nov-13, 07:00 AM
Also, Gnome has an app for adjusting the monitor's res.

Stregone: you know, I was a Gnome user about 2 days ago... ;) Then I went from Gnome and ReiserFS to KDE and XFS.

(So far XFS has shown great performance, but my package manager has some bizarre issues with it. :-?)

Anyway... I think I like Gnome better overall, but Gnome lacks a few things that KDE has... Like, for example, working embedded media support.

(Yes, I know Totem 1.1.3 worked beautifully for streaming media. But from 1.1.4 up, it hasn't been able to play a danged thing, even Ogg Theora, on anyone's machine. I've no idea why the Totem devs chose to release 1.2.0 before the bug was fixed...)

There's also another thing in Gnome that needs adjustment, and that is Metacity. As of 2.12.1 it seems that Metacity's responsiveness has been much improved, but it is still not configurable at all - I should be able to do basic stuff like adjusting window/window and window/border resistance. That's not a big problem for me though, I just use Openbox instead of Metacity. :)