PDA

View Full Version : Trip

Colt
2003-Feb-03, 12:45 AM
I made a trip to the bookstore earlier, mainly to help take my mind of the recent tragedy and for reading material. I picked up several books so I just named the thread "Trip", anyone have a better title? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The War of the Worlds - I rented the movie the other night and watched it. I thought it was a fairly poor interpretation of the tripods (I think it was probably influenced by the 1950's UFO craze). The movie was overall fairly good though. I am a few pages into the actual book which I bought (never read it before), so far it is good.

The Tripod Trilogy - I have the first (The White Mountains) and the third (The Pool of Fire) but I had never been able to find the middle one. I went to the shelf where they were housed and found not only the missing middle book but also a book that tells of the Tripod invasion. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif I liked the first and third books so I hope these are as good, though the cover of "When the Tripods came" is out of sync with the other three.

Destiny's Road - I wanted something by Niven and since there were no Man-Kzin Wars books I thought this one looked pretty good. Anyone read it? I am not sure if it is connected to the Known Space series or not. There was also a book called Flatlander, not sure what it is about though, looked pretty good.

Any suggestions for the next step of Niven? I have read Ringworld, Ringworld Engineers, and 1-6 of the Man-Kzin Wars. Any other comments, suggestions, etc. on these books please feel free to post.

I think that we should not focus so much on the Colombia tragedy that we forget other aspects of life, I for one have a raging headache from watching so much news coverage and reading articles on the internet. Thank you. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif -Colt

Silas
2003-Feb-03, 04:26 PM
Niven's short story collections are, in my opinion, his best work. Neutron Star, Tales of Known Space, the Gil Hamilton stories, etc.

If you like Larry Niven, you might like Poul Anderson.

(I was really, really bummed on Saturday, so I diverted myself by watching "The Prisoner of Zenda." Sometimes, fantasy is a sensible escape from reality.)

Silas

David Hall
2003-Feb-03, 07:54 PM
If it's got Niven's name on it, it's pretty much bound to be good. Only his most recent forays (Ringworld Throne) haven't lived up to his usual quality.

Destiny's Road is not a part of Known Space. You can see a complete listing of Niven works here (http://www.larryniven.org/a-z.htm). And here (http://www.larryniven.org/reviews/reviews.htm) is a more general list of the novels he's written.

My suggestion to you is to first read Tales of Known Space and Neutron Star, in that order. These are most of his KS short stories, and introduce most of his characters and the general timeline of his universe. From there, you can go on to his other KS novels:

World of Ptavvs
Protector
A Gift from Earth
Ringworld Throne

Flatlander is also a part of Known Space. It is a reprinting of an older collection of stories, The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton, with two new stories and an essay thrown in. A good value.

Crashlander is similar. It reprints all the Beowulf Shaeffer stories from TOKS and Neutron Star, but also links them all together with some new material. Get it eventually.

Oh, and I just discovered this: Three Tales of Known Space (http://www.larryniven.org/reviews/three_books.htm). Looks like another good value to me.

Oh my goodness!, an even better value! The entire novel Fallen Angels (http://www.baen.com/library/067172052X/067172052X.htm), is available for free online! I haven't read this one yet! I'm going to be busy. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Happy reading, Colt!

<font size="-1">(Formatting! Where the real comprehensibility of the post is made!</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Hall on 2003-02-03 14:56 ]</font>

informant
2003-Feb-03, 08:02 PM
On 2003-02-02 19:45, Colt wrote:

The War of the Worlds - I rented the movie the other night and watched it. I thought it was a fairly poor interpretation of the tripods (I think it was probably influenced by the 1950's UFO craze). The movie was overall fairly good though. I am a few pages into the actual book which I bought (never read it before), so far it is good.

You do realise that War of the Worlds was filmed long before The Tripods had ever been written... /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Waarthog
2003-Feb-03, 08:47 PM
The White Mountains Trilogy was quite good but the prequel was drivel. None of the people was likeable and the ending was extremely forced. Why Christopher went back to the well is beyond me.

You do realise that War of the Worlds was filmed long before The Tripods had ever been written...
You realize that War of the Worlds was written long before it was filmed? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

informant
2003-Feb-03, 08:54 PM
On 2003-02-03 15:47, Waarthog wrote:

You do realise that War of the Worlds was filmed long before The Tripods had ever been written...
You realize that War of the Worlds was written long before it was filmed? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

And your point is...?

Waarthog
2003-Feb-04, 05:24 PM
And your point is...?

An apparently failed attempt at humor.