PDA

View Full Version : Book Review: Hiding in the Mirror

Fraser
2005-Nov-14, 07:43 PM
SUMMARY: One of the most intriguing ideas that pursued by philosophers, artists, and scientists throughout the ages is the one of other dimensions. Is it possible that there is another reality hiding right before our eyes? In his latest book Hiding in the Mirror: The Mysterious Allure of Extra Dimensions, from Plato to String Theory and Beyond, Dr. Lawrence Krauss explores the existence of extra dimensions in culture and science.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/book_reviews_hiding_mirror.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Andromeda321
2005-Nov-15, 01:29 AM
So... what did everybody think of the review? :shifty:

:whistle:

Cougar
2005-Nov-15, 03:47 AM
So... what did everybody think of the review? :shifty:

:whistle:
Well, being a stickler for things grammatical, I had a little problem with the first sentence of the summary, and then I had a slight problem with the first sentence of the full story. Yvette, the undergrad physics major wrote....

One of the most intriguing ideas that pursued by philosophers, artists, and scientists throughout the ages is the one of other dimensions.
You've got to make it easy on the readers to understand what you're saying. Doesn't Yvette mean, "One of the most intriguing ideas that has been pursued by philosophers, artists, and scientists throughout the ages is the one of other dimensions."?

When Lawrence Krauss was a boy he watched an episode of the Twilight Zone in which a girl gets lost in another dimension.
OK, this is a nitpick, but a comma is required after an introductory dependent clause, which is what those first six words are.

Other than that I'm sure it's a fine review.... although I might argue whether "It would be difficult to find a better qualified guide to take the reader through the new worlds the book explores." ;)

StarGeezer63
2005-Nov-15, 05:15 AM
I haven't read the book yet, although I have read a couple of his other titles. He believes that this is his best book yet. I did get a chance last week to go to his lecture and get an autographed copy of the book. It was a great lecture and he even hung around to do some small talk and answer questions after the book signing. He talks about extra dimensions but disagrees with what Dr. Brian Green and other String Theorist think. He has had a few debates with Dr. Greene, which should have been quite interesting!

--> Sam D