PDA

View Full Version : "there was a worm in my eye!"

space cadet
2005-Nov-16, 03:47 AM
My friend knows a guy living on the floor above her (in the student living center on campus.) I know him too, sort of, and I think he's kind of arrogant but anyway, according to her she heard him yelling a while back so she went over to see what was wrong. He said that he was at the bathroom mirror washing his face, and suddenly he saw a "worm" in his eye, and it fell into the sink and went down the drain. He was obviously pretty upset, but wouldn't listen to her when she suggested he make a doctor's appointment, and he still hasn't done so, and it's been several months. He still swears there was a worm in his eye, though.

Anyway, my first impulse was to say that he was out of his mind, but this is pretty out of character for him, and I'm certain he isn't on drugs. Have you ever heard of anything like this? He's not the type of guy to make junk up, especially when people start teasing him about it.

Dragon Star
2005-Nov-16, 03:56 AM
Yea, this guy was on drugs, there is no way you can have a worm in your eye and not know about it....I bet is was Shrooms, which isn't exactly a drug, but a strong hallucinogenic, but who knows, I could be wrong. I just don't see a worm being in your eye...:sick:

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-16, 03:56 AM
I got a tiny fruit fly in my eye once, it didn't live too long but it hurt like heck even after it died. I think if there was a worm in his eye he probably would have realized it before he started washing. It could have been an optical illusion of some sort, perhaps from the water or mucus in his eye. My better guess, however, would be that it was somewhere else on his body and got transferred to his face while he was washing it. For instance, it would not to be too much of a stretch to think a small inchworm that landed in his hair might have fallen or washed into his face or jumped off when he was washing his face, and somehow either got in his eye or at least appeared to from his perspective. Or perhaps it was on anothe part of his body, somehow got transferred or crawled to his hand without him realizing it, and then he touched his face with it on his hand. That would be the most likely scenario to me. They are pretty small, he might not have realized it was there. If I was washing my face and an inchworm appeared out of nowhere I might get a bit startled as well. I remember seeing them handing from trees by a thin string when I was a kid.

The other possibility that occurs to me is that there was something else in his eye, and eyelash perhaps, that was there a while. It might have gotten coated with mucus, and was washed out when he was washing his face. If he only saw it for a very brief amount of time he might have mistaken it for a worm. I have had eyelashes get coated with mucus, they are white or pale yellow and look a lot thicker than an eyelash, I could imagine someone mistaking one for a worm if he or she only saw it very briefly. You get a brief impression in your mind, your brain fills in the missing details, and you end up with a memory that is much more detailed than what you actually saw. If that were to happen, there would be practically no way to convince him that was the case even if there was some way to figure it out. I think the inchworm idea is more likely though, it requires far fewer assumptions.

Believe me, if he had parasitic worms living in his eyes he would know it. Your eye is a very sensetive organ, if he had little worms chewing their way through there he would be in agony.

Egarim
2005-Nov-16, 04:05 AM
Has he been out of the country at all? Particularly South America or Afirica? I'm sure there's probably a number of parasites that can either travel to the eye or aim to live in the eye but the one that I definately know of is Loa loa filariasis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa_loa) which is found in Africa. In South America theres the Human Bot Fly but those things can get pretty big and they dont really have a preference that I know of for the eye. Actually, I just found a picture of a Bot fly getting taken out of a Human eye just now here (http://botfly.quiik.com/gallery.html)(viewer beware). Pretty sure he would've known about it if he had one of those in his eye though.

space cadet
2005-Nov-16, 04:17 AM
yeah, I thought that it may have just fallen into his eye, but he maintains that it actually came OUT of his eye.

Anyway, he hasn't been out of the country at all, unless you count idaho. :P :P :P We do live on a section of campus that has a lot of foreign exchange students--probably one in twenty--but they're mostly Asians and Middle Easterners.

I guess the guy's just lost his marbles. It's the weirdest thing I've heard anyone claim in a long time.

PS. Those pictures of Egarim's aren't for the faint of heart, just so you know.

Egarim
2005-Nov-16, 04:19 AM
PS. Those pictures of Egarim's aren't for the faint of heart, just so you know.
Woops, sorry. Meant to add a warning.
Added (viewer beware) after it just incase.

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-16, 04:23 AM
yeah, I thought that it may have just fallen into his eye, but he maintains that it actually came OUT of his eye.
Right, but that doesn't mean it didn't get into is eye by accident somehow when he was washing his face. If there was a particular time I would expect such a thing to happen, it would be when his hands are near his face and there is water moving things around and likely getting in a his hair a bit.

sarongsong
2005-Nov-16, 05:12 AM
Maybe he'll be ready to catch the next one now.
Difficult to comprehend his not seeking medical attention if he's convinced it came from his eye.

Maksutov
2005-Nov-16, 01:32 PM
Well, at least it wasn't ants (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051115/od_nm/india_ants_dc;_ylt=Aqarw821RQURpDa9iMEAlpKs0NUE;_y lu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-), which rightly belong in one's pants, or, better, the mound.

Candy
2005-Nov-16, 01:41 PM
Well, at least it wasn't ants (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051115/od_nm/india_ants_dc;_ylt=Aqarw821RQURpDa9iMEAlpKs0NUE;_y lu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-), which rightly belong in one's pants, or, better, the mound.
Oh, I saw this story yesterday.
I thought this thread was about it, at first.
The ant story is the creepiest I have heard in a long time. :eek:

Argos
2005-Nov-16, 02:09 PM
Has he been out of the country at all? Particularly South America or Afirica? I'm sure there's probably a number of parasites that can either travel to the eye or aim to live in the eye but the one that I definately know of is Loa loa filariasis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loa_loa) which is found in Africa. In South America theres the Human Bot Fly

It´s interesting how every disgrace in the planet is automatically linked to "South America" or Africa. The creature you are talking about (http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/botfly.html) occurs in North America, in fact.

gethen
2005-Nov-16, 02:28 PM
Not exactly the same, but I do know a guy who had something similar happen. Seems a fly must have laid an egg in one of the very deep creases around his eye while he slept. I don't know why it didn't get rinsed off in the shower, but it apparrently hatched and burrowed under the skin. He kept saying that he felt like something was moving in his eye. By the time he finally saw his doctor, the thing was about the size of a maggot. The doctor removed it, but I wonder if it had been left alone if it could have exited by moving into the eye socket instead of out through the thicker skin.
Icky idea though.

Candy
2005-Nov-16, 02:29 PM
Okay, after the above post, I'll change my bad attempt at a joke.

Egarim
2005-Nov-16, 09:32 PM
Itīs interesting how every disgrace in the planet is automatically linked to "South America" or Africa.
I thought that's Las Vegas.

The creature you are talking about (http://www.ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/botfly.html) occurs in North America, in fact.My apologies for saying South. Answered that part by memory instead of looking it up and checking. Did'nt mean it as a dig at South America.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-17, 10:41 PM
then there's diabetics who are occasionally treated using live maggots (not treated for the diabetes - but for secondary issues involving dead tissue)

genebujold
2005-Nov-17, 10:59 PM
I've done missions in third world countries, and have been briefed, seen pictures, and live examples of parasitic infections, including in the eyes.

Most parasites secrete a toxin which locally deadens the nerves. The most common example is the leech, which, at worst, feels like a little tickle, then you don't feel it at all.

Entirely possible, though much rarer in more developed countries where disease isn't running rampant.

Definately "ick," though. I'm surfing to another thread...

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-18, 12:28 AM
Ugh, leeches. I had a really bad experience with leeches when I was a kid.

Argos
2005-Nov-18, 01:09 PM
I've done missions in third world countries, and have been briefed, seen pictures, and live examples of parasitic infections, including in the eyes.

Pigs, ocurring all over the planet (except polar regions?), are hosts for cysticercus, which can infect various tissues, including the eyes, like the obnoxious bot fly larvae. Bad hygiene, most commonly linked to "third world" countries, is the cause.