PDA

View Full Version : We're going to Germany!!!

AGN Fuel
2005-Nov-16, 12:57 PM
After 32 years, Australia is going to the World Cup Finals!!!

Mark Schwarzer - you are a GOD!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Nov-16, 01:43 PM
Yeah, sure. ;)

Argos
2005-Nov-16, 01:58 PM
Beating Uruguay was such a feat. Congrats.

Lianachan
2005-Nov-16, 02:22 PM
The more countries I like that get in, the better.

Given the lack of Scotland, I'll probably be supporting Brazil. Ever since I attended the World Cup in France in 1998 as a Brazil supporter, I've had a soft spot for them.

(I couldn't get Scotland tickets).

Oh - England are there, of course, which means I'll have a (hopefully brief) succession of teams to support.

:D

Argos
2005-Nov-16, 02:42 PM
Given the lack of Scotland, I'll probably be supporting Brazil.

Thanks, pal. We won´t let you down. :)

jkmccrann
2005-Nov-16, 03:07 PM
Absolutely magnifico! Having watched the match amongst a throng of heaving Aussie supporters in the heart of Melbourne, who subsequently went on a `friendly rampage' (smashing up bottles, throwing streamers everywhere, throwing flares around the place, standing on passing cars, standing on passing trams, throwing various other ejecta through the night air) it was a magnificent night.

Particularly considering the heartbreak of 1993 (lost 1-0 to Argentina thanks to a dubious goal), 1997 (undefeated World Cup campaign, not qualifying on the away goals rule against Iran), 2001 (within an inch of the world cup until the 89th minute when Uruguay sealed the tie) until finally we actually managed to make it, on the eve of our joining the Asian confederation on January 1st.

So, even though we're the first nation from Oceania to qualify for the World Cup, by the time the World Cup rolls around we'll have swapped confederations, so who are we really representing?

Doesn't really matter I guess, go AUSSIES!!!!!!!!!

TriangleMan
2005-Nov-16, 03:07 PM
:dance: :dance: :dance:

Wait a minute, I'm not Australian. :eh:

Oh well.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Lianachan
2005-Nov-16, 03:12 PM
So, even though we're the first nation from Oceania to qualify for the World Cup

Do you just mean to qualify for this World Cup? I'm sure New Zealand qualified in 1982 (because we played them!).

jkmccrann
2005-Nov-16, 03:42 PM
Do you just mean to qualify for this World Cup? I'm sure New Zealand qualified in 1982 (because we played them!).

Good point, and we qualified in 1974, although I'm not sure in either case that the Oceania confederation actually existed. I'll have a look into it.

Lianachan
2005-Nov-16, 03:58 PM
Good point, and we qualified in 1974, although I'm not sure in either case that the Oceania confederation actually existed. I'll have a look into it.

It did exist then. It was formed in The Year That Shall Not Be Named (but is in the mid-late 1960's) but didn't seem to be a full Federation until 1996. I'd forgotten that Australia qualified in 1974. If, indeed, I ever knew that.

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oceania_Football_Confederation) is your friend!

jkmccrann
2005-Nov-16, 04:22 PM
Yes, Oceania has definitely had a bit of a stunted existence. Looking through the FIFA website, ifrom it's formation through to the qualifying rounds of the 1982 World Cup it was really a subset of the Asian Federation, but from 1986 - present day it was given it's own sort of independence in terms of qualifying and basically played off with any other federation that didn't quite merit that full place. Scotland being the team Australia lost to in 1985.

In any case, given we've now left Oceania, its likely to return to its role as a subset of the Asian Federation in future qualifying formats. Which is as it should be because of the 10 teams playing today, 9 of them had already had a chance to qualify for the World Cup, and failed, this was our first chance and our last at the same time. Not really fair, but its all history now anyway.

Bring on Germany 2006!@!

Herodotus
2005-Nov-16, 09:21 PM
Congrats on going, I didn't think they were going to make it, I mean Uruguay for crying out loud! I wasn't going to believe they could do it this time after 97's heartbreaker. I thought if anyone was going to get them in it was El-Tel. Good luck and I hope you aren't in the US's group! :)

genebujold
2005-Nov-16, 10:30 PM

Mark Schwartzer - you are a GOD!!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Sweet! See you when you arrive. I already have tickets.

Jim
2005-Nov-17, 02:19 AM
Maybe this is the explanation.

IF Australia beats Uruguay tonight and makes it to the 2006 FIFA World Cup, then SBS's John Safran might be able to claim a little of the credit. Safran was told by the late soccer legend Johnny Warren that the Socceroos had a curse placed on them in 1969, when they were in Mozambique and playing against Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe). According to Warren, they went to a witchdoctor who placed a curse on the opposing team. The Aussies won but they left the country without paying the witchdoctor, who then placed a curse on them. In his John Safran Vs God series earlier this year, Safran tracked the witchdoctor down and tried to reverse the wrong by paying the fee. Has the curse been lifted? We'll know tonight.

Musta worked.

jkmccrann
2005-Nov-17, 08:07 AM
Maybe this is the explanation.

Musta worked.

Well, the last year or so has been all about curse-breaking, Boston Red Sox (1918), Sydney Swans (1933), Chicago White Sox (1917), Australia's World Cup failure (1974) is a relatively minor curse to break.

But maybe we've broken one of our curses only because a curse we hold (We've never lost the Men's 1500m (swimming) at the Commonwealth Games), is likely to be broken next March, ironically here in Melbourne on home soil, because the World Champ (Grant Hackett) has decided to undergo shoulder surgery and has thus ruled himself out of the contest.

Oh, well, I'm looking for a 40 year drought to be broken next year myself, so I'm all for this curse-breaking continuing.

Astrobairn
2005-Nov-17, 03:07 PM

Indeed, one of the four teams Scotland have beaten in the World Cup Finals.

I'm going to support Trinidad & Tobago as Russell Latapy plays for them. A Falkirk player in the World Cup :)

kucharek
2005-Nov-17, 03:25 PM

Mark Schwarzer - you are a GOD!!

Maybe he just wanted a cheap trip to his sister in Stuttgart :razz:
Now we know the Aussies will come, we will brew more beer :razz:

Harald

paulie jay
2005-Nov-17, 10:58 PM
I'm so happy for the Socceroos! Those here living in countries who are used to breezing in to the finals may not fully appreciate just how big a deal it is to us down here. It's an even bigger deal to us than winning the Ashes was to a Brit this year :)

genebujold
2005-Nov-17, 11:21 PM
Already have tickets! I'll be there!

AGN Fuel
2005-Nov-17, 11:47 PM

Harald

:lol:

EvilBob
2005-Nov-17, 11:52 PM
If you brew it, we will come....

Lianachan
2005-Nov-18, 09:04 AM
I'm so happy for the Socceroos! Those here living in countries who are used to breezing in to the finals may not fully appreciate just how big a deal it is to us down here. It's an even bigger deal to us than winning the Ashes was to a Brit this year :)

Trust me, many "Brits" didn't consider that a big deal at all.

:D