PDA

View Full Version : Braga says he's done with Star Trek

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Nov-16, 03:04 PM
http://www.trektoday.com/news/141105_01.shtml

yeah and Star Trek's done thanks Mr. Braga

Moose
2005-Nov-16, 03:09 PM
I want that in a contract written in blood. I'd even donate an ounce or two of my own for such a good cause.

Now we just need to get rid of Rick Berman, and the Trek franchise can then someday rise from the ashes of their bad writing.

Doodler
2005-Nov-16, 05:49 PM
And somewhere in the heavens, a choir of Vulcans sang, "Hallelujah". It is, afterall, the only logical response to such a momentous event.

Swift
2005-Nov-16, 11:18 PM
That's funny, so am I. ;)

Daniel H.
2005-Nov-16, 11:30 PM
So can we get that promise in triplacate, written and signed in blood?
With the exact phrasing being written by a legion of lawyers to see to it that the terms are such that breaking the promise will forfeit his right to work on any show or movie ever again? Preferably with the leaders of all religions bearing witness to the promise?

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-17, 10:05 AM
Somewhere in Hollywood a couple of years from today, we see a press conference with Mr. Braga on a stage, speaking into a microphone.

Mr. Braga: Despite what I said before, I'm here to announce that I will be working on the new Star Trek proj-

He is interrupted by a series of bizarre humming noises and light effects. Soon, surounding Braga are what appear to be a Borg, Romulan, Klingon, several Federation officers that appear to be from different time periods, Jem'Hedar, Cardasian, Ferengi, and a number of less obvious species. All are holding weapons aimed at Braga. Everyone looks uneasily at everyone else. Finally a Federation officer speaks.

Random Federation Officer: May I assume we are all here for the same reason? To avoid destruction of the timeline and stop bad storytelling?

The room is filled with various gestures, sounds, and signals that all indicate "Yes."

Random Federation Officer: Very well. When I give the signal, we will coordinate our fire . . . 3, 2, 1, FIRE!

Another light show fills the room as beams of every color center on a spot that had been filled by Mr. Braga. When they stop there is still someone standing there. But ...

Random Federation Officer: Q! I should have known that no human could be so twisted, so utterly sinister and destructive. It could only be a creature ... like you!

Q: Really, foolish human, I couldn't believe it myself! I wasn't even trying, and still they let me continue. You humans deserve your fate!

Random Federation Officer: But you have been exposed. You can no longer do your twisted work!

Q: Yes, but for how long will they remember? I will be back. Oh, yes. I will be back!

There is a flash as Q disappears, though his evil chuckle lingers for a time. Then the various species beam out, knowing that they had saved the timeline ... for now. A few seconds pass, there is a flash, and Mr. Braga reappears on the stage.

Mr. Braga: So as I was saying, I'm here to announce ...

Maksutov
2005-Nov-17, 10:11 AM
Somewhere in Hollywood..The solution to the tragedy you just outlined would be to make sure Mr. Braga is wearing a red shirt. Not even the powers of Q could prevent what would happen next! http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4879/iconbiggrin1kg.gif

Good script! Maybe you could submit it to the studio? http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-17, 10:31 AM
The solution to the tragedy you just outlined would be to make sure Mr. Braga is wearing a red shirt. Not even the powers of Q could prevent what would happen next! http://img394.imageshack.us/img394/4879/iconbiggrin1kg.gif

Excellent point. We must watch Braga. If he never wears red, nobody will be able to doubt his true identity.

Good script! Maybe you could submit it to the studio? http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Thanks! But hack writing like this could only serve to help Braga in his quest. It is a great sacrifice, but in the interest of humanity, I cannot do it.

erisi236
2005-Nov-17, 06:42 PM
Hmm, I actually quite liked Enterprise :)

publiusr
2005-Nov-18, 09:24 PM
So can we get that promise in triplacate, written and signed in blood?
With the exact phrasing being written by a legion of lawyers to see to it that the terms are such that breaking the promise will forfeit his right to work on any show or movie ever again? Preferably with the leaders of all religions bearing witness to the promise?

I've got my two boys (Mephistopheles and Daniel Webster) working on it with some of the lawyers at RIAA.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Nov-24, 07:37 PM
this

http://www.trektoday.com/news/241105_03.shtml

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-24, 09:05 PM
Can someone explain to me why people don't like Brannon Braga this much? What did he do that earned the detestation?

Moose
2005-Nov-24, 09:35 PM
The very worst Trek had to offer invariably had their names on it. Braga as producer, Berman as writer.

They refused to consider that they were the problem, hiding behind the words "franchise fatigue" and essentially blaming the fans that the show had lousy ratings. They stuck to their guns until the franchise was deader than dead. The words "controlled flight into terrain" comes to mind.

My personal distaste can be summed up in their obsession with two words: "temporal anomaly". I know some other BABBlers had been complaining about their obsession with two other words: "fan service". But other than the finale, which may have been TV's darkest moment (the finale turned Enterprise into a TNG episode's footnote, for crying out loud), the lowest of the low was the "Purple Alien Nazi" arc.

Manny Coto was a step in the right direction. His writing rocked. The fourth season (post Alien Nazi) was what Enterprise should have been from the very beginning.

Unfortunately, by then, the fans had pretty much been alienated beyond any real hope of salvaging the ratings.

If there is any hope of someday reviving the franchise, it lies in never again letting Rick Berman near a script, and holding Braga to his promise to never again attempt to produce Trek.

Peteman
2005-Nov-25, 12:27 AM
I think Rick Berman was a decent writer in the TNG era.

The problem is, he can't write anything but TNG.

Braga heaped much more crap on his plate, OTOH.

gopher65
2005-Nov-25, 12:46 AM
I happen to like temporal anomolies, and purple aliens in nazi uniforms (no really, I liked that episode:P)! The most unforgivable episode for me (other than that terrible finale) was the one where the klingons lost their ridges. AUUUUUUUURRRRRRGGGG! They didn't have ridges cause TOS had a very small budget! The comptuers sucked cause the writers had no imagination! Leave it at that! You don't need to try and explain everything to death.

wayneee
2005-Nov-25, 01:07 AM
Long time Trekie, there is a photo of me somewhere , at a convention. Im wearing Original series klingon makeup and costume, and Im pretend choking George Takei.
prefrence goes Original series, TNG, Deep space, voyager, .......was here anything else, oh yeah quantum leap, i mean that sci-fi show that started like hee-haw and had a sexy vulcan playing" Im a picking!"

Swift
2005-Nov-28, 06:52 AM
A big shout-out to Brother Moose, who speaks the gospel truth, IMHO

Gas Giant
2005-Nov-28, 03:19 PM
The most unforgivable episode for me (other than that terrible finale) was the one where the klingons lost their ridges. AUUUUUUUURRRRRRGGGG! They didn't have ridges cause TOS had a very small budget! The comptuers sucked cause the writers had no imagination! Leave it at that! You don't need to try and explain everything to death.
They already damaged that history with the DS9 episode "Troubles and Tribbilations." I've said it before, but what they should have done in that episode was simply to have Michael Dorn play Worf with 1960s Klingon makeup while they were back at K7. None of the characters need say anything at all...

Daniel H.
2005-Nov-29, 02:28 AM
Manny Coto was a step in the right direction. His writing rocked. The fourth season (post Alien Nazi) was what Enterprise should have been from the very beginning.

Yeah, the most accurate description for that I think I've heard went something like "Season four of Enterprise felt like the awkard first season of a new series that will eventually be really good. Unfortunately it was actually four seasons into the series."

James_Digriz
2005-Nov-29, 05:12 AM
yeah and Star Trek's done thanks Mr. Braga

I wouldn't mind seeing more Star Trek if they could get some new material. I never watched more then 3 episodes of Enterprise becuase they were all copies of situations we have already seen in ST, NG, DS9 and Voyager.

What I would like to see is more Serenity of course. Blows Trek out of the water. That universe was always too squeeky clean and PC for me to really have a complete suspension of disbelief.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Nov-29, 10:14 PM
Here's an oldie but goodie: Rick Berman Takes Over "Star Wars". (http://www.filmjerk.com/new/article287.html)

GDwarf
2005-Nov-29, 10:32 PM
Here's an oldie but goodie: Rick Berman Takes Over "Star Wars". (http://www.filmjerk.com/new/article287.html)
Might want to caution people about some of the foul language in that.