PDA

View Full Version : A setting for GURPS 4e...

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-16, 06:21 PM
I'm currently working on a setting for GURPS 4e. It's a three-part series (Age of Piracy, Age of Military, Age of Machina), and it's very in-depth... as in, there's a LOT to do and be.

Throughout the creation process I may desire to ask questions, just like I've been asking questions for stories. Eventually, I may even end up replacing the rules system with a personal, self-crafted game system (to avoid copywrites), to try to some money off my creation.

Here's my main questions:

A) Would it be wrong to use this board as a source for knowledge and advice to make my game, through the board's rules?

B) Would there be copywrite issues if I did indeed end up making money off a game, that is partially in existance because of the advice of a group of people?

I do indeed to give credit for anyone that helps me -- to the BAUT board, to the Bad Astronomer, to Fraser, and to individuals that help throughout it (assuming the list of names wouldn't grow TOO long!)

Are there any problems with this?

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Nov-16, 08:23 PM
What is a GURPS?

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-16, 08:25 PM
*facepalm*

I'm not surprised I got this question, though, but it did seem rather irrelevant...

Anyways: http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/ The link of Steve Jackson's games. GURPS (Generic Universal Roleplaying Game) is one of them. It's a pretty fun, but very complicated, game system. I use it for now because it's my favorite, but I may change the game system my Setting will be in.. mainly by making my own.

I figure it'll take me a few years to really get around to completing it, though.

hewhocaves
2005-Nov-16, 08:39 PM
whats a game?

lol.. kidding! yes... Generic Underwater Role Playing System. (or near enough, anyway). DnD for all time streams as it were!

Anyway, Lonewolf, if you're just using the board to bounce ideas off and to get basic science right, i don't see any problem with it. You'd probably just want to attach a kudos somewhere in there.

If you're designing a RPG system on your own, you should probably be more concerned with infringement on other RPGs out there than here.

If you somehow get into a discussion over a specific campaign setting and you flesh out the entire setting here, online, with a group that provides a significant amount of the setting then you'll probably have to work something out

Just my 2 cents

John

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-16, 08:45 PM
Alright, thanks.

(off-topic comment deleted, since I really don't want to get into a debate about a game system. Bah, I'm an idiot sometimes)

Hmm... think I should make a new thread for certain seperate questions, if they're a big enough issue? The first question has to do with the likelihood of "similarities" of galaxy-wide "nationalities" to "modern day" nationalities... another question has to do with the possibility of being able to colonize a decent portion of the Milky Way galaxy within 12,000 years.

Philip A
2005-Nov-17, 01:54 AM
I've done a bit of GMing in my time, I'll help as much as I can.

I access the board from my works PC due to a nasty rash on mine that doesn't seem to go away, and I work shifts so I can't say you will get answers real time (I get 6 months holiday a year...... it's tough!)

How do you define 'nationalities'? If you are talking race (eg human nordic/african/korean etc) then probably not - we're all human! A galaxy-wide race (do you propose FTL tech for them - both/either physical or communication?) may be split on political/religious grounds, but I suspect they would have got past the purely aesthetic.

For the colonization, it depends on FTL. An exceptionally long lived race may be able to spend the time, but there would probably be very few of them (resources at home planet set a natural cap on numbers). Any race could have some form of 'time slowing' tech, cryo- or something exotic to do it, but at sub light speeds it would take a LONG time. Is the 12k yrs from now or the birth of the civilization? Are you using humans as the examples?

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-17, 01:57 AM
No FTL tech. I changed the term to Major Factions anyways.

To be honest, though, I'm not going to bother asking any more questions until I actually get the manuals written up first. I'm almost done with the Age of Military and Age of Piracy.. at least, almost done in that I have the VERY BASIC outline. I have too many ideas to go into x.x But then, I'll have them peer-reviewed by a group of people, and also try to come up with my own game system.

I had a talk with a former teacher on my cell phone. There's a lot of potential, and I have (sort of) a plan now.

Also: Yes, humans. Actually, 10,000 years from now. The game takes place 1036 AUG (After United Galaxy), and America became the United Galaxy (but Galactic China and Republic of Japan remained its own Factions). 0 AUG is about 12,000 AD (not exact, but about)

I haven't put a cap on speed. I figure that .7C is about right -- basic propulsion to a high speed, and with a very large "shield" over the front of the ship to protect it from space shrapnel. Also, there's a very easy way to go from the planets into space (using a giant railgun, or a Magnetics Station, as they're called). There are Interplanetary ships and Interstellar ships.

Philip A
2005-Nov-17, 02:09 AM
Ok. What about interstellar communication? A major problem will be holding your Faction together if it takes 100s of years to get a reply from your capital.

A railgun into space? Nasty G's!

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-17, 02:17 AM
Small nit: do you want AUG to start at 0 or 1?

Philip A
2005-Nov-17, 02:24 AM
:razz:

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-17, 03:54 AM
Would a railgun into space be unrealistic?

AUG will be at 0.

Hmm... communication... didn't think of that. I'll probably try to come up with FTL communications, then.

Ilya
2005-Nov-17, 04:17 AM
If you're designing a RPG system on your own, you should probably be more concerned with infringement on other RPGs out there than here.
My understanding is that GURPS was designed to be easily adapdable to any real or fictional setting. Hence there are GURPS fantasy, GURPS horror, GURPS Cold War, GURPS Wild West, GURPS Chtorr (based on David Gerrold novels), and I am sure, GURPS Underwater somewhere.

As long as you sign an agreement and pay royalties to Steve Jackson Games, they WANT you to come up with new variations.

Philip A
2005-Nov-17, 04:41 AM
Would a railgun into space be unrealistic?

For people, yes. The acceleration is the problem. Humans don't really like more than about 10G of force (about 100m/s^2) and escape velocity (11 km/s for Earth) is in the hypersonic range (about Mach 33). So even if you assume this is the highest acceleration you could use, then according to my rough maths (and it is 03:30 here, so could someone please check my math?) the 'barrel' length would need to be about 600km long!

v^2 = u^2 + 2as
s= (v^2 -u^2)/2a
(121000000 - 0)/200 = 605000m

Rough calculation. And people have to be conditioned to deal with these G levels, so practically it would have to be longer.....

Wikipedia has a page on escape velocity:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

hewhocaves
2005-Nov-17, 05:35 AM
My understanding is that GURPS was designed to be easily adapdable to any real or fictional setting. Hence there are GURPS fantasy, GURPS horror, GURPS Cold War, GURPS Wild West, GURPS Chtorr (based on David Gerrold novels), and I am sure, GURPS Underwater somewhere.

As long as you sign an agreement and pay royalties to Steve Jackson Games, they WANT you to come up with new variations.

true that.

However, if you want something totally on your own (ala the SPECIAL system that they used in Fallout) it will be more "interesting", legally speaking. Again, I'm not sure where the copyright infringement lines lie.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-17, 03:44 PM
Isn't that assuming, though, at the current level of magnetics (for the size of the "gun" itself)? I'm trying to think of ways to beat this thing >.>

LurchGS
2005-Nov-17, 07:57 PM
Gun schmun - I still like Dr Forward's "rotovator"... solves all kinds of problems, while presenting very few of its own.

As for communications... with the kinds of power needed for everything else, I'd suggest that gravitational waves of some sort should work.

oops - almost forgot. Whether you credit anybody here or not, there would be no copyright issues - this is a public place, essentially, and if contributor A didnt' want something in your game, all he has to do is not bring it up.
----------

Philip A
2005-Nov-18, 12:56 AM
Isn't that assuming, though, at the current level of magnetics (for the size of the "gun" itself)? I'm trying to think of ways to beat this thing >.>

No, it's limited by the forces a human body can stand. The human body is not uniform density, and internal organs and fluids (like blood) don't accelerate at the same time, there is a time lag.

We can magnetically accelerate stuff much faster already (like railguns!) but they are usually uniform density items like solid pieces of metal.

Frequently mentioned on this site is a space elevator, essentially a big lift into space. Materials science improvements are needed to get it to work, but theoretically should be ok.

:think: What level of science are your target audience going to have? If you want a railgun, you could just say it has a 'really long barrel' and leave it at that. Few will realise exactly how long!

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Nov-18, 11:49 AM
The solution might be to use a mixed system.
You use the rail gun at full power to launch cargo into orbit.
And you use it at 6g to give a manned ship a start-up boost,
for the rest off the way up you would use the engines.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-18, 02:46 PM
Hmmm. Question: Would a space elevator for a space station in orbit (as in, right before the Van Allen belt) be more "realistic" than a Moon Elevator, and cheaper?

As for the levels of science of my audience, I think that many might play this game without much science info. However, if I put in "correct" and "realistic" science, I may help educate a public with my fun, kick-butt game. That's one of my goals. Of course, centering the game around education would be boring for Joe Public... so I intend to keep it fun :)

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-18, 10:11 PM
A space elevator is good science. A space elevator on the moon with the centre of gravity at either the L1 or L2 point is also good science. So you can have both, if you want.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-18, 10:13 PM
come to think of it, you wouldn't have to fight off any gravity on the moon. So, for the Earth (or Old Terra, in the game), you could just get the elevator to the moon, and then (while mining it for extra resources), use it as a space station to launch ships. Hey, that's pretty cool stuff.

What makes it even cooler is that that's actually realistic...

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-18, 10:23 PM
come to think of it, you wouldn't have to fight off any gravity on the moon.

Er... well, no. The Moon has weaker gravity than Earth, so it's easier to take off from, but it still has gravity. Or am I misunderstanding?

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-18, 10:57 PM
Yeah, but it seems pretty easy to escape the gravity on the moon. I mean, the lander only needed a bit of a nudge to get off the moon, didn't it?

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-18, 11:29 PM
Sure, it's easier, but not having to bother with it is even easier. Your choice, though.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-18, 11:34 PM
Well, then, are there any problems with a space station having a space elevator?

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-18, 11:35 PM
Well, it has to be in a specific spot (geostationary orbit for Earth, the L1 or L2 point for the Moon). And you have to build the thing, but that likely won't be a problem in your timeframe. And actually, if you extend the elevator past geostationary orbit, you can "fling" a spacecraft into interplanetary space, giving it a boost.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-18, 11:37 PM
Hmm... I see, that's an idea. Thanks, Canuck.

Though i'm actually not as worried about Old Terra as much as New America, which is closer to the middle of the faction...

speaking of which, any links to an in-depth map of the Milky Way Galaxy? I need to plot out which faction is where sometime.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-18, 11:40 PM
You won't need something that big. With no FTL, expansion will be limited.

hewhocaves
2005-Nov-18, 11:44 PM
some generic maps can be found here:
http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/index.html

and you can get sky charts from here (for across the galaxy)
http://www.extrasolar.net/

i'm sure someone has better links, tho.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-18, 11:48 PM
Our galaxy is just waaay too big. :D

What's the center of our galaxy like? I heard it was pretty inhospitable... or was that the "center of the universe"?

publiusr
2005-Nov-18, 11:55 PM
Some games ideas here:

www.liftport.com
www.deepangel.com

Maybe a cross-over is in order, or you could work for them.

hewhocaves
2005-Nov-18, 11:58 PM
no.. the center of the galaxy is fine in terms of inhospitablity. kind like being trapped in a New York cab in 100 degree weather.

barring godlike tech, you're pretty much looking at colonizing a doughnut

LurchGS
2005-Nov-19, 12:15 AM
Lonewulf

Before you get gung-ho on the elevator, take a look at the actual figures. I recommend reading Dr Robert Forward - I think he has an essay on it in "Indestinguishable from Magic". Basically, fixed surface to orbit elevators will not work because of stresses at the earth end..

I need to read this again, I don't remember any details

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-19, 12:16 AM
Basically, fixed surface to orbit elevators will not work because of stresses at the earth end..

Not exactly. The Earth end would just kind of float there, not moving. No stress.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Nov-25, 03:33 PM
Even when expanding by slow multi generation ships and with stops for terraforming and building up a population you get surprisingly large numbers quite fast.:)

If we guess ~500 years to get to the nearest star with planets, and a craft launched every 20 years after the first, each carrying 10.000 people (to get enough genetic variation), a need for a population of 10.000.000 on a new planet to actually build the first ship for then next jump and a success rate for colonisation of 1%, then in 10.000 years you can have about 30 colonised planets, with the number doubling every 2000 years.

This provided none of the numbers assumed at the start change, which is unlikely, especially for the success rate which is likely to go up fast as new knowledge is gained from previous failures.

If the success rate is raised to just 10% during the first 5000 years, you're looking at millions of populated planetary systems after 10.000 years, which I think is a bit more that is available within 10.000 light years, so the limiting factor becomes how many planets are available within the distance we can get to.
After a while that won't be a problem as the volume of potentially explored space (and therefore number of available planetary systems) grows by time cubed while the number of populated planets only grows by time squared.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-26, 04:46 AM
Not exactly. The Earth end would just kind of float there, not moving. No stress.

right, his complaint was with the Clarkian version, which was ground to LEO - if you run it out to geosync you are fine.

That said, I'm jumping back in my rut - I like the Rotovator - cheaper to build, and you can use it as a sling to launch in any direction (in the orbital plane) a lot more often than you can with a fixed tower.

Besides, it's just such an elegant solution

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 04:49 AM
I'm making some addendums to my game idea (though the "planet to space" launches are still open for debate). It would start 3000 AD, isntead of 12,000 AD. More realistic that way; more explanation as to why the UG would be so similar to the US outside of coincidence.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-26, 06:05 AM
right, his complaint was with the Clarkian version, which was ground to LEO - if you run it out to geosync you are fine.

Really? No one mentioned LEO, and I assumed we were still talking about GEO (that's what I mentioned). Bad assumption on my part, sorry.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-27, 01:55 AM
no, the error was mine, for assuming we were talking LEO and not checking.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-27, 06:29 AM
Eh. No harm done. We were both right, just talking about different things. ;)