PDA

View Full Version : How Many Bulletin Boards Do You Frequent?

Hugh Jass
2005-Nov-17, 09:57 PM
I had been an occasional lurker on a variety of boards a while ago, but became very disenchanted with the idea because it seemed either everyone on the board had the exact same opinions and just found comfort in posting those to like minded folks, or the posters were all complete morons, sometimes both. When I came across this board it was amazing. So many intelligent, rational discussions here; and the membership is bigger than almost any other board I’ve visited. More recently, I was surprised at the small, in my opinion number of cross over from this board to the BA Blog folks. So I had a question I wanted to pose. That is how many of you visit other boards regularly? And follow up discussion do you post other places as well, or just lurk? Any other relevant discussion on your habits and bulletin boards?

Swift
2005-Nov-17, 10:02 PM
I voted one, but there are one or two others (a model railroading one and a hybrid cars one) that I check out once in a great while (literally a couple of times a year).

LurchGS
2005-Nov-17, 10:17 PM
I voted one, but there are one or two others (a model railroading one and a hybrid cars one) that I check out once in a great while (literally a couple of times a year).

Ditto - though I pass on the Hybrid cars (my switch tech does that for me!)

I might start following biodiesel, though...

--------

The best remake of War of the Worlds was Independence Day. Now, that's a sad commentary on Hollywood.

paulie jay
2005-Nov-17, 10:29 PM
I moderate at a music message board that has 235,237 registered users - I only wish that the participants were as mature as the ones here as BAUT...:sad:

genebujold
2005-Nov-17, 10:33 PM

That's just an estimate, however, and it's been a long time since I've been to some of them, so take it with a block of salt...

Actually, just three, but my other two bulletin boards are for my "hidden private life," such as discussing religious topics, which is fairly verbotten here!

jfribrg
2005-Nov-17, 11:05 PM
I visit 2.

Taks
2005-Nov-17, 11:05 PM
2... well, really 3, but the third is really a bunch of moronic kids so i'm not there very often. the other 2, btw, are related to computer role-playing games. one is a developers site and the other is just a fan site.

taks

Philip A
2005-Nov-18, 01:01 AM
I have a wide breadth of interests, and look in on a few boards occasionally. This one is the only that I post to though.

Samara
2005-Nov-18, 01:48 AM
This one and a Tim Burton board. Would that some of the TB fans on there were as mature as the posters here - a lot of their posts consist of "OMG TB OWNZ LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

George
2005-Nov-18, 03:39 AM
It's aBaut 1, roughly. ;)

ToSeek
2005-Nov-18, 04:22 AM
This is the only one I'm a serious regular on. I visit GLP and Lance's board, and a couple of soccer boards (mostly as a lurker).

mickal555
2005-Nov-18, 04:53 AM
5ish 4 me

Enzp
2005-Nov-18, 05:31 AM
I am a regular participant in five others besides here. All of those are related to professional audio electronics though. I enjoy that there are a whole pile of very bright people here who can actually articulate what's on their minds.

I would love to add some on other interests such as railroads, but there are only so many hours in a day. A geomorphology board would be interesting, but I don't know what hot topics we would find there.

montebianco
2005-Nov-18, 05:37 AM
Three where I'm semi-serious, including this one. The other two are Illuminati-R-US (http://www.illuminati-r-us.com/Forums/) and Scotson's Shack (http://www.scotsons-shack.com/Forum/). I'm an occasional visitor at some others...

dvb
2005-Nov-18, 05:58 AM
2... well, really 3, but the third is really a bunch of moronic kids so i'm not there very often. the other 2, btw, are related to computer role-playing games. one is a developers site and the other is just a fan site.

taks

That sounds like a few of the places that I visit. I don't suppose you're a bioware fan are you? :)

mahesh
2005-Nov-18, 01:05 PM
this here and chicago astronomer ( joe guzman)

Argos
2005-Nov-18, 01:36 PM
I´m registered in four: BAUT, FWIS (under another name), Illuminati-are-us and physics forum. I only post to BAUT, and rarely on FWIS (I´m not much of a success there).

Captain Kidd
2005-Nov-18, 01:40 PM
Hmm. Like a lot of others, here’s about the only board I’m active on. There are a couple others I lurk on a couple times a day but rarely post. One’s a railroad simulator (Trainz) board, although I usually only visit the real trains forum part. Then there’s a hysterical, I mean historical, railroad preservation site that has a forum. I'm registered on FWIS, but it's blocked from work and just no time to visit it from home.

I’m also subscribed to about a dozen mailing lists. However, all but two are set to not email me.

Job, marriage, kid, homeowner; it all piles up on me such that my personal free time is minimal.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Nov-18, 02:47 PM
This one and dropzone.com. I've looked in on a few others of interest; but shy away from participation because of the tendency for a lot of boards to be anywhere from not very courteous to downright hostile. I think it is too easy for a lot of people to be more mean spirited when posting than if they were having a face-to-face conversation. This board is more like conversation than messaging or spouting off. It is truly appreciated.

I could not do more anyway; I can barely keep track of threads in which I participate on just the 2. In fact, if I am non-responsive in a thread I chimed in on - it's most likely that I lost track of it - so many topics, so little time.

Nereid
2005-Nov-18, 07:37 PM
Here, and PhysicsForums.com.

publiusr
2005-Nov-18, 11:47 PM
Here, Starshipmodeler, nasaspaceflight.com, xprizenews, etc.

Lord Jubjub
2005-Nov-19, 01:18 AM
hmmm. . .

Movies, Astronomy, Weather, and Apple Computers are the message boards that I am registered on and post with any frequency. I'll lurk on Slashdot and a Tolkien board.

Big Brother Dunk
2005-Nov-19, 01:31 AM
Besides this one, I also spend some time at two golf forums.

Titana
2005-Nov-19, 01:40 AM
Physics forum, this one and one about ancient Egypt.

Titana.......

Enzp
2005-Nov-19, 09:32 AM
The Romans had a forum, but I didn't know the ancient Egyptians had one...

montebianco
2005-Nov-19, 03:44 PM

I'd respond, but this board is set up differently than the others I visit, and I can't find a "groan" or "rolling eyes" emoticon...

genebujold
2005-Nov-19, 04:13 PM

Sure the ancient egyptions had a board. It was a Ouiji board.

Candy
2005-Nov-19, 05:59 PM
I only post to BAUT, and rarely on FWIS (Im not much of a success there).
Me, either. I'm sure it's for entirely different reasons. :lol:

Candy
2005-Nov-19, 06:03 PM
this here and chicago astronomer ( joe guzman)
mahesh, where are you located? I can't figure out the coordinates you have on display. I tried googling, but I don't get anywhere.

There is a mahesh that works near my department. I've only seen his name. I'm sure you're not the same person. Are you? :shifty:

Titana
2005-Nov-19, 06:32 PM
The Romans had a forum, but I didn't know the ancient
Egyptians had one

Its called the *Guardians Egypt* Ancient Egypt Bulletin Board*

Sure the ancient egyptions had a board. It was a Ouiji
board. :doh: :naughty:

Titana........

Spacemad
2005-Nov-19, 06:51 PM
I'm on several boards & post frequently here & on a couple of others - including a couple in Spanish! The two Spanish ones are space related sites - both in South America. I used to visit one in Spain itself but I can't remember having posted there - only visited it at infrequent times.
I'm also on an Australian weather board & a British one - neither of which I have visited recently. I chip in on a New Zealand site also about inventing & making violins (& many other topics) but I neither invent or have anything to do with violins!!! Instead I post in the other topics section!
I sometimes post messages on the Message board of Helmut Lotti - the singer in whose honour I have made a website.
There are still one or two I haven't mentioned - like the Mars one in which I posted a couple of times today & a more general site in the USA started by a guy from England who used to be very active on the UT board.

That about sums up my participation on message boards!!!

Apart from this one where I have clocked up over 900 posts many times more than all the others lumped together & multiplied several times!!! :)

Robert Andersson
2005-Nov-19, 10:43 PM
Only one for me, currently. I'm usually an all-or-nothing person, and it is hard to keep up with more than this one.

Not a bulletin board, but used to be very active on Apache's user mailing list, but haven't had time lately and now have a backlog of 15000+ mails waiting for me to read... some day...

DroneFour
2005-Nov-20, 01:40 PM
Pink Floyd & Company, the James Randi Education Foundation, and here, of course.

kashi
2005-Nov-20, 01:55 PM
I voted 2-4. I like this forum because people actually listen to each other rather than just venting their opinions.

Astrogirl05
2005-Nov-20, 10:36 PM
I chose 2 to 4. On a regular basis I'm on three boards including this one. I'm a regular poster at mothering.com. Also I'm a lurker, but have never posted, at AboveTopsecret.com
I've been lurking here for a few days and finally joined today.This is my first post. I love this place, so many interesting and intelligent opinions.

Candy
2005-Nov-20, 10:54 PM
Welcome, Astrogirl05! :)

Fortis
2005-Nov-21, 12:58 AM
Used to be a regular on the Fortean Times MB, but then they had a re-org and a lot of the user profiles got screwed up. I gave up trying to sort it out in the end. :(

The only other one that I used to post to was Chemtrail Central. I appear to have been banned from that, though I was never formally informed of this. (Attempts to query this with the board-meister by e-mail resulted in a null response.)

jkmccrann
2005-Nov-29, 08:52 AM
Good topic.

3 Boards.

Online Betting & Gambling (http://olbg.co.uk/)

Get a lot of good tips there.

Urban Planet (http://www.urbanplanet.org/)

Reading all the discussions at this place about what to do about New Orleans in the last few months has been fascinating, a lot of the residents down there can get pretty worked up when its suggested the place should be scaled down or basically abandoned. I guess that's not surprising, but it makes for interesting reading.

Dave Mitsky
2005-Nov-29, 11:49 AM
Too many.

Dave Mitsky

Andromeda321
2005-Nov-29, 03:39 PM
I frequently post at FWIS (http://www.loresinger.com/FWIS/index), more then I do here nowadays actually, and I primarily lurk on Physics Forums (dunno somehow just could never really get into it).

jkmccrann
2005-Nov-29, 05:27 PM
I frequently post at FWIS (http://www.loresinger.com/FWIS/index), more then I do here nowadays actually, and I primarily lurk on Physics Forums (dunno somehow just could never really get into it).

Interesting place Andromeda, but you've linked to the non-existent Index page.

http://www.loresinger.com/FWIS/

Andromeda321
2005-Nov-30, 02:31 AM
Oops, my apologies.:doh:

mickal555
2005-Dec-02, 07:24 PM
The index page excists you just need to add a ".php"
like so:

http://www.loresinger.com/FWIS/index.php
;)