PDA

View Full Version : a "reality" show that fools people into thinking they are going to space..

novaderrik
2005-Nov-17, 10:39 PM
well, here we go. fuel for the conspiracy theorist in all of us..
i wonder how well they will pull it off?
http://www.thisislondon.com/showbiz/articles/20930127?source=PA&ct=5

Swift
2005-Nov-17, 11:13 PM
i wonder how well they will pull it off?

The follow-up to your question is "who could be that stupid?".
I decided long ago that it was the silliest question in English. There is always at least one person "that stupid". :neutral:

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-17, 11:47 PM
I suspect they'll ask background questions and anyone that actually has some knowledge of the subject won't make the cut. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if many would play dumb just to be on the show.

This reminds me of a place in California called the "Mystery Spot." It was recommended by friends and is supposed to be where a "meteor fell that had strange properties." I knew better, but went anyway. Of course, all they had were typical optical illusion gimmicks and other nonsense. Sometimes it was mildly interesting to figure out what trick they were using, but it was painfully obvious what they were doing. They weren't even trying to hide the fun house illusions. Yet I had friends that took it seriously ...

GDwarf
2005-Nov-17, 11:50 PM
I wonder how they'll manage G forces during takeoff and
no gravity. Unless the people going up don't know about the G forces and are fed something about artificial gravity I rather doubt this will work.

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-18, 12:39 AM
I wonder how they'll manage G forces during takeoff and
no gravity. Unless the people going up don't know about the G forces and are fed something about artificial gravity I rather doubt this will work.
I would bet they do exactly that. After all, it works on Star Trek, BSG, SG1 ... They aren't going to pick people who have a clue. Or if they do, only the ones who don't speak up.

By the way, if I was pushing the hoax, I would say we were using a brand new Diamagnetic Gravity Compensator. (http://www.hfml.science.ru.nl/phystod.html) At least there is some real science behind it, even if it wouldn't work for this application.

kanathan
2005-Nov-18, 05:14 AM
According to the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4442882.stm), the people on the show will be told that the reason they don't feel gravity is because they're in "near space". :eh:

But producers will not have to recreate weightlessness because the contestants are to be told their orbit will take them to Near Space, not Deep Space, where they could experience the sensation.

I can't decide whether the producers are hoping the contestants are complete idiots and will actually believe that, or if the producers actually believe what they're saying. :wall:

Cl1mh4224rd
2005-Nov-18, 05:41 AM
So... Who else here hates these so-called reality shows? I know I do...

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-18, 07:06 AM
Moon Man wouldn't see the problem with the "near space" idea.

Actually, I think you would be surprised how many people wouldn't get it.

There are two possibilities: This could be like many reality shows that aren't - that is, everybody is in on it - or they'll follow standard Jury question procedures:

Have you been to college? Ok, you're out.

Have you taken High School physics or any science class at all? Gone.

Can you identify that bright glowing thing in the sky during the day? You can't? You're in!

novaderrik
2005-Nov-18, 01:40 PM
i bet they get their 'contestants" from the same group of wanna-be actors and models.
at the risk of offending anyone here, they don't tend to be the brightest people in the world..

Swift
2005-Nov-18, 03:53 PM
According to the BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4442882.stm), the people on the show will be told that the reason they don't feel gravity is because they're in "near space". :eh:

But producers will not have to recreate weightlessness because the contestants are to be told their orbit will take them to Near Space, not Deep Space, where they could experience the sensation.

I can't decide whether the producers are hoping the contestants are complete idiots and will actually believe that, or if the producers actually believe what they're saying. :wall:
Shouldn't the opposite of Deep Space be Shallow Space and the opposite of Near Space be Far Space? :eh:

As far as your question kanathan, I vote idiot, but I'll leave it to others to decide if the idiots are the contestants, the producers, the people who watch the show, or all three. :D

Hamlet
2005-Nov-18, 04:44 PM
So... Who else here hates these so-called reality shows? I know I do...

I do. Pure dreck.

Doodler
2005-Nov-18, 05:48 PM
i bet they get their 'contestants" from the same group of wanna-be actors and models.
at the risk of offending anyone here, they don't tend to be the brightest people in the world..

Heck with it, I'll offend. As a rule, they are just plain barking STUPID.

publiusr
2005-Nov-18, 09:28 PM

Nah, they'll use some folks in middle-management. The ones who love the bean counters cutting engineers' programs.

parallaxicality
2005-Nov-19, 01:42 AM
That assessment was correct, Van Rijn; anyone with any knowledge of space was immediately deselected. Contestants were chosen on the basis of their "suggestibility", which, they hasten to remind us, is different from gullibility, though they don't specify how. Does anyone know?

They're going to be running tests like "how fast do tomatoes rot in orbit?"

Uh, I'd guess about as fast as they would anywhere else with bacteria...?

But they'll secretly swap out a tomato and replace it with a rotten one overnight, obviously to create the idea that things rot faster in space.

Honestly, if they don't have actual astrophysicists and astronauts explaining what is going on, this show has the potential to be a misinformation carpet bombing.

porky26030
2005-Nov-20, 04:10 PM
As far as I can recall, "suggestibility" has more to do with how easily you can be hypnotized or convinced that something is going on that really isn't. For example, the fact that Sirhan Sirhan (sp?) is abnormally suggestible is often trotted out as evidence that he didn't act alone in assassinating RFK, the inference being that he was hypnotically suggested into being an assassin.

Gullibility is the kind of thing that is tested by saying "did you know the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?" (I've discovered that the correct answer is "no, but it is written on the ceiling") It's more a measure of how fast your brain can detect misinformation, i think.

Please keep in mind that these definitions are purely OTOH (or OOMA), and someone should really check them.

X-COM
2005-Nov-21, 07:53 AM
The problem is that the "who to dump out through the airlock" vote each week would not be as fun with a fake show...

Gemini
2005-Nov-22, 02:02 AM
I wonder If I called foul on the show. Would some ignoramouses call me an HB?

Gryfin210
2005-Dec-03, 09:02 PM
Or maybe the hoax is on us. Perhaps they'll get Branson to really, send the people into space, while we laugh at home at how easily the people got duped.

William_Thompson
2005-Dec-03, 10:14 PM
That is beautiful.
I thought of that myself.
You could also go the other way and make a reality show of real NASA astronauts in training.

William_Thompson
2005-Dec-03, 10:17 PM
by the way, I doubt the could pull off the subtraction of gravity. So if the participants are so daft to know there is no gravity (sort of) in orbit, they get what they deserve.

captain swoop
2005-Dec-05, 10:29 AM
Can you imagine the effect on them when they realise that it's a fake and that everyone in the UK is laughing at them?
IF I had just had experienced what would be the highpoint of an entire lifetime, actualy going into space on a shuttle, only to find out it was all a joke I think I would be more than a bit disturbed!

Lianachan
2005-Dec-05, 12:17 PM
I was reading a bit about this over the weekend. It's mainly about their fake training - only three of them will be "selected" for the fake mission.

There are three actors in with them, to keep tabs on things and try to beat out any early flames of suspicion. They think they're training somewhere in Russia, but they're really on an old army base near Ipswich.

I can see how they could fake the visuals of being in space, using a convinving set with good screens to fake views out of windows - but there's no way they could fake the weightlessness, and I can't think of a convincing way they could fake the sensations of launch. Surely nobody is going to believe the "near space" explanation for the gravitational situation....

Gruesome
2005-Dec-05, 03:13 PM
How truly Orwellian....Reality that's a lie.

Swift
2005-Dec-05, 04:18 PM
Can you imagine the effect on them when they realise that it's a fake and that everyone in the UK is laughing at them?
IF I had just had experienced what would be the highpoint of an entire lifetime, actualy going into space on a shuttle, only to find out it was all a joke I think I would be more than a bit disturbed!
No more than all the other reality shows out there. Thousands of people try out for American Idol - virtually all of them are either deluded that they are not among the majority that get laughed at because of how bad they sing, or are so desperate for their 15 minutes of fame that they are willing to be ridiculed in exchange for it. I can imagine that when these shows were new that people were truely fooled, but can anyone be fooled now?

I take that back, I'm breaking one of my own rules, that the expression "no one could be that stupid" should be banned from human languages. There is always someone that stupid. :shrug:

captain swoop
2005-Dec-05, 05:21 PM
How wouldyou feel if you thought you had been on a Shuttle mission only to find out it was a big joke in front of the whole world on you?

Doers anyone remember the old Jon Pertwee Dr Who adventure 'Dinosaurs' Inthat one there was a similar hoax being played on the people who thought they were off to colanise a new world, they were in fact going to be the only survivors on Earth, the hoax was because the bad guy knew they wouldn't go along with mass genocide.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-08, 09:14 AM
Having watched the first show last night, I am fairly confident they will have no problems whatsoever convincing the participants anything whatsoever.

EDITED AFTERTHOUGHT: There is a striking similarity between one of the contestants and somebody in a "Give Blood" advert that's sometimes seen here. I vaguely suspect that all of the contestants are actors, and the joke is on the British public for being taken in by this elaborate double bluff. :D

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Dec-08, 11:34 AM
Having watched the first show last night, I am fairly confident they will have no problems whatsoever convincing the participants anything whatsoever.

EDITED AFTERTHOUGHT: There is a striking similarity between one of the contestants and somebody in a "Give Blood" advert that's sometimes seen here. I vaguely suspect that all of the contestants are actors, and the joke is on the British public for being taken in by this elaborate double bluff. :D
FUNNY ....

Would Be, Just Like them!!!

:lol:

mid
2005-Dec-08, 12:11 PM
According to the official site,

There are three actors among our intrepid cadets, embedded in the group to help safeguard the hoax. They have been with the cadets from the very start, throughout all the auditions, interviews and tests.

Should any of the cadets become suspicious our actors are there to steer them away from doubt. Their role is important in maintaining the illusion.
Perhaps the person you recognise is one of those?

On the other hand, when one "Louise Nisbet"'s list of things she hates includes racism, xenophobia and working-class people, you have to wonder.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-08, 01:25 PM
According to the official site,

Perhaps the person you recognise is one of those?

Nope, definately none of those three.

Llucien
2005-Dec-08, 02:43 PM
The whole concept sounds rather sad though I have to say I have never been interested in the whole "reality TV" concept anyway. I am surprised it wasnt FOX that came out with this.

If it is a way to insult and embarass someone they are generally all for it.

As it stands I look forward to the day that the entire reaity show concept finally dies and gets swept under the rug.

jumbo
2005-Dec-08, 03:45 PM
There is a striking similarity between one of the contestants and somebody in a "Give Blood" advert that's sometimes seen here. I vaguely suspect that all of the contestants are actors, and the joke is on the British public for being taken in by this elaborate double bluff.
This is a possibility. Having seen them before though is more likely in these types of shows than some others though. The types of people who audition for these shows have often auditioned or even got on other reality programs or are working on the edges of the entertainment business anyway.

mid
2005-Dec-08, 06:28 PM
Nope, definately none of those three.

Never mind then, it was just a guess. Nothing would surprise me about the show, other than if someone went through an amusingly ironic setup where the producers themselves were presented with the opportunity of a lifetime (film rights to something huge, say) only for it to turn out to be a hoax so the entire nation can laugh at their gullibility in turn.

publiusr
2005-Dec-08, 10:54 PM
Video is available here IIRC:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=920&start=51&posts=54

Lianachan
2005-Dec-08, 11:27 PM
They've got a pro-Apollo hoaxer on there (follow on show on E4), banging on quite unchecked.

:wall:

parallaxicality
2005-Dec-08, 11:29 PM
ooooh, you guys are going to hate this.

I'm watching the "satellite show" right now, and, rather appropriately, they had a lunar hoax conspiracy type on to chat. Three photos later the presenter claimed he was convinced. And so, apparently, was Yuri Gagarin's head.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-08, 11:36 PM
Wow - ToSeeked by just two minutes, and in the same thread!

parallaxicality
2005-Dec-08, 11:41 PM
What can I say? Slow reflexes.

ToSeek
2005-Dec-08, 11:47 PM
How wouldyou feel if you thought you had been on a Shuttle mission only to find out it was a big joke in front of the whole world on you?

Doers anyone remember the old Jon Pertwee Dr Who adventure 'Dinosaurs' Inthat one there was a similar hoax being played on the people who thought they were off to colanise a new world, they were in fact going to be the only survivors on Earth, the hoax was because the bad guy knew they wouldn't go along with mass genocide.

"Invasion of the Dinosaurs" - one of my favorites!

gwiz
2005-Dec-09, 09:45 AM
In episode 2, the participants are quite happy to believe that they'll be going up to 200 km, but won't be weightless at any time because it would take too long to train them for weightlessness. They're an unobservant lot, too. Their bus was parked next to the supposedly Russian helicopter for several minutes, but none of them noticed the helicopter's UK registration, which was in letters 2 ft high.

Jakenorrish
2005-Dec-09, 09:57 AM
As it stands I look forward to the day that the entire reaity show concept finally dies and gets swept under the rug.

Me too Llucien. I have not watched this latest 'reality' programme. In fact I try not to watch any 'reality' tv as it is the most boring thing I could possibly waste my time on. I find the entire concept of putting cameras on (let's be honest here) people of below average intellect and watching them argue and conspire against each other quite distasteful. Quite apart from the fact that it is hosted by one of the smuggest people on the planet in Johnny Vaughan.

It was a novelty when Big Brother first appeared, the novelty wore off after one show, and now the TV execs are trying to find more extreme angles to keep the concept alive. In fact the only 'reality' show idea left to do would be for someone to die live on TV.

Give them a wide berth, that's what I say....

gwiz
2005-Dec-09, 10:30 AM
Nothing would surprise me about the show, other than if someone went through an amusingly ironic setup where the producers themselves were presented with the opportunity of a lifetime (film rights to something huge, say) only for it to turn out to be a hoax so the entire nation can laugh at their gullibility in turn.
If they're trying to fool the public, it isn't working. There's already a lively discussion on the Channel 4 forum about whether all the cadets are actors, not just the three plants. Mind you, the argument that no-one could be that ignorant about going into space is pretty weak, look at Moon Man.

Code Red
2005-Dec-09, 10:42 AM
Reality shows are like bacteria - as long as you feed them, they'll continue to grow. While people continue to watch the pap that's fed to them on TV the studios will churn out more.

It's a kind of curious voyeurism that draws people to these shows and it's very addictive - as a rule I avoid stuff like this but every year my wife says "I'm definitely not going to watch Big Brother this year," but within a week or so she's glued to the set every night.

I started watching this one out of curiosity as to how they would fool the contestants and the psychology bit was interesting, but in the end it boils down to "pick the 12 dumbest extroverts you can find."

My main concern is all the bad science they are being fed in order to fool them - I worry that the masses won't be able to tell the difference between what is factual and what isn't.

Case in point - when dealing with the issue of why they won't experience "weightlessness", the guy in charge said that they'd be in near space, still within earth's gravity. Absolute rot, of course - and at this point the show should have spent a couple of minutes explaining why it is rot, but no - they press onwards with no explanation whatsoever.

Then to cap it all, the "sister" show that runs alongside it last night features Marcus Allen as a special guest peddling his tired old moon hoax tosh.

This so-called "entertainment" will end up reducing the public's general knowledge of space, not increasing it.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Dec-09, 12:39 PM
It was a novelty when Big Brother first appeared, the novelty wore off after one show, and now the TV execs are trying to find more extreme angles to keep the concept alive. In fact the only 'reality' show idea left to do would be for someone to die live on TV.
Eh ...

They're Savin' That, for SWEEPS!!!!

:liar:

publiusr
2005-Dec-09, 10:36 PM
In fact the only 'reality' show idea left to do would be for someone to die live on TV.

I guess you never saw Norman play at the Masters...

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Dec-10, 06:09 AM
I guess you never saw Norman play at the Masters...
Why ...

What Happened?

:think:

parallaxicality
2005-Dec-10, 09:21 AM
It's obvious what's happening: our civil liberties are being stripped away, we're marching all over the earth forging a new Empire, gods have begun to inform the political process, the quickest route to celebrity is to sleep with the powerful, and our popular entertainment is edging closer and closer to gladiatorial combat. We're turning into ancient Rome.

Anyway, more bad astronomy from this masterpiece of stupidity. Phil really should show up on BBC Radio 4 to debunk this crap.

The presenter posed a "clever" question about astronaut pens, claiming smugly that, while the Americans had spent millions developing a hi-tech pressurised pen, the Soviets had stuck to pencils. Next day I learned on QI, that wonderful source of myth debunking, that this was flat out ********; pencils are useless in zero g- the moment the leads break they end up in the circuitry or people's eyes. In fact the astronaut pen, though it was developed, was not needed. You need pressurised ink to write upside down in Earth's gravity, but in zero g there is no force for the ink to work against, and a normal ballpoint works just as well as an astronaut pen.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Dec-11, 04:03 AM
It's obvious what's happening: our civil liberties are being stripped away, we're marching all over the earth forging a new Empire, gods have begun to inform the political process, the quickest route to celebrity is to sleep with the powerful, and our popular entertainment is edging closer and closer to gladiatorial combat. We're turning into ancient Rome.

Anyway, more bad astronomy from this masterpiece of stupidity. Phil really should show up on BBC Radio 4 to debunk this crap.

The presenter posed a "clever" question about astronaut pens, claiming smugly that, while the Americans had spent millions developing a hi-tech pressurised pen, the Soviets had stuck to pencils. Next day I learned on QI, that wonderful source of myth debunking, that this was flat out ********; pencils are useless in zero g- the moment the leads break they end up in the circuitry or people's eyes. In fact the astronaut pen, though it was developed, was not needed. You need pressurised ink to write upside down in Earth's gravity, but in zero g there is no force for the ink to work against, and a normal ballpoint works just as well as an astronaut pen. Not Only That ...

But, After a Switch Broke, On The Eagle, Neil Armstrong, Used his Trusty Pen, As a REPLACEMENT!!!!

BenM
2005-Dec-11, 06:50 PM
Why ...

What Happened?

:think:

Greg Norman was leading the 1996 Masters golf tournament by something like six shots on the final day. He then went on to loose in a spectacular collapse that was one of the most painful public moments that I have ever seen. Not a literal death, but boy it felt close

darkhunter
2005-Dec-11, 07:01 PM
Not Only That ...

But, After a Switch Broke, On The Eagle, Neil Armstrong, Used his Trusty Pen, As a REPLACEMENT!!!!
IIRC the Apollo astronauts used felt tip markers...

Edit: Spelling

Gillianren
2005-Dec-11, 11:20 PM
IIRC the Apollo astronaughts used felt tip markers...

Watch that spelling, there. This is the one word I always correct spelling on, and if you look up "naught" in any dictionary, you'll see why. The people on the stupid show are "astronaughts."

parallaxicality
2005-Dec-11, 11:26 PM
The people on the stupid show are "astronaughts."

So true! I wonder why the show hasn't picked up on that one!

Lianachan
2005-Dec-12, 09:19 AM
I refer to them as astronauts, but with an extra "s" in there near the beginning.

mid
2005-Dec-13, 11:01 AM
You're right about them being unobservant. They had an American guy on to explain something-or-other, and he was talking about the the stuff that was shot for 2001 "in Hollywood". One of the Actors (who obviously knows his film stuff) mentioned "didn't they shoot that at Shepperton?" to which American replies, "oh yes, that was shot over here".

Also, Charlie Skelton, the Guardian columnist and comedy scriptwriter (one of the "actors" as Vaughn keeps calling him) is (a) in there under his real name without anyone recognising it, and (b) was muttering into his mic during takeoff that he'd blow the whole secret if they didn't hand £250,000 in used notes to Christine Hamilton as a joke. No-one heard him, it seems.

gwiz
2005-Dec-13, 12:16 PM
Caught the lift-off sequence last night. Right at the end the presenter said they couldn't let the cadets see the view from earth orbit, as a moth had got into the projection system.

ASEI
2005-Dec-13, 07:40 PM
You know, for as much money as they make off of these TV programs, why not hook up with the Russians and actually send them up on an orbital ride? Only about $10 M/ride, last I heard.

parallaxicality
2005-Dec-13, 08:32 PM
Insurance. At least, that's what Johnny Vaughn says.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-14, 06:09 AM
And you wouldn't get the smug "look at the idiots thinking they are in space" reaction from the viewers who are themselves too ignorant to see how much of the bunk the participants are fed is just that.

publiusr
2005-Dec-14, 10:46 PM
And you wouldn't get the smug "look at the idiots thinking they are in space" reaction from the viewers who are themselves too ignorant to see how much of the bunk the participants are fed is just that.

Brasnosn's SS2 victims will probably think they are on a "real" spaceship too.

I would like to play a joke on all the anti-spaceflight folks and just turn off all the satellites for a day and let people watch TV on rabbit ears.

Cl1mh4224rd
2005-Dec-17, 12:48 AM
Space Cadets - The Reality of The Reality Show (http://coolsmartphone.com/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=1981&Itemid=2) :)

Lianachan
2005-Dec-17, 01:08 AM
Space Cadets - The Reality of The Reality Show (http://coolsmartphone.com/index.php?option=news&task=viewarticle&sid=1981&Itemid=2) :)

That's the advert I saw him in, right enough. I thought it was the same guy.

Do I win a prize of some description?

:)

novaderrik
2005-Dec-17, 01:13 AM
maybe the actors really think they are going to space- and not that it is a joke on them. actors- especially the more "pretty" ones- don't tend to be highly regarded for their intelligence.
or, perhaps, each actor thinks that they are the "planted" actor that is responsible for keeping the rest inline?
who else goes on reality shows like this besides wannaba actors and models?

mickal555
2005-Dec-17, 08:07 AM
The producers will not have to worry about recreating weightlessness because they are being “sent” 62 miles (100km) to Near Space, not Deep Space, where the sensation occurs.
:sad: It sounds like lots of the public are going to be tacken in by this....:wall:

What is it like?
Has it started yet?

EsquireJ
2005-Dec-17, 09:37 PM

I hate to say this but those who believed this show was a double hoax are as gullable as those who believe the moon hoax!

Ryan was an EXTRA in that advert and there is a big difference between an extra and an actual actor! he was simply in the right place at the right time and got to be on that advert

but anyway....

i found the ending to the show VERY mean and i think they went too far as the people seemed very depressed they had not been in to space

Gillianren
2005-Dec-17, 11:52 PM
That's the advert I saw him in, right enough. I thought it was the same guy.

Do I win a prize of some description?

:)

Yes.

"It was a dark and stormy night."

That's some description, which is your prize.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-18, 12:36 PM
I hate to say this but those who believed this show was a double hoax are as gullable as those who believe the moon hoax!

Speaking as one of the first to suggest that the whole thing may be a hoax - I must say I find that comparison to be unfair, and downright offensive.

EsquireJ
2005-Dec-18, 12:59 PM
Well i meant that in a playful way but sorry it you took offense!
I was just meaning that there was not really any reason to suggest it was a double hoax

Glom
2005-Dec-18, 07:17 PM
i found the ending to the show VERY mean and i think they went too far as the people seemed very depressed they had not been in to space

I was actually quite impressed by the steps taken to soften the blow. On the final day, they stretched the credibility to breaking point so by then the suckers were very suspicious. They then played them that tape that slowly but surely allowed them confirm their suspicions.

What would have been cruel would have been to open the pod to the audience without breaking the news in advance or even breaking the illusion with their dog funeral antics.

The bit with the intestinal worm was a crackup to see the three actors cacking themselves while the suckers were all concerned about a premature return.