PDA

View Full Version : Bad prop job on Battlestar Galactia

Captain Kidd
2005-Nov-18, 03:58 AM
OK, I finally got talked into watching BSG season one. I like it, the plot is good, and I like how the Cylons seem to have more than “kill all humans” as their basis for existence.

That being said, bad prop department! Bad! Bad!

In one episode (Act of Contrition) there’s Humvees driving around! How much would cheap plastic panels cost? I was able to write it off as they’re shown only briefly and you could sorta shoehorn your suspension of disbelief enough to convince yourself that it was actually some other vehicle.

But what really, really peeved me was in Litmus when Adama picks up his glasses from a book. Since the spine was pointed towards the camera, I innocently paused the DVD to see what he had been reading. It was a Reader’s Digest compilation of their condensed books!!! Boy do they have some circulation!

A cheap, quick dust jacket or just turning the book so the camera didn’t pick up the spine would have suited!

Guess they spent all their prop money on cutting the corners off all paper to make it eight-sided.

Seriously, I’m enjoying the series, but the Hummers followed by Reader’s Digest was too much for me to handle without going off. :D

Enzp
2005-Nov-18, 05:12 AM
In the future, ALL restaurants are Taco Bell.

perhaps The Hummer wound up to be the perfect all time vehicle... Yeah, that's the ticket.

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-18, 07:15 AM
But what really, really peeved me was in Litmus when Adama picks up his glasses from a book. Since the spine was pointed towards the camera, I innocently paused the DVD to see what he had been reading. It was a Reader’s Digest compilation of their condensed books!!! Boy do they have some circulation!

There's your answer. Obviously, Earth was already in contact with the other colonies! These "accidents" were deliberate clues to revelations in later seasons. No doubt Area 51 reverse engineered a crashed Cylon ship that had been far off course, built a starship and headed off to the colonies to set up a Humvee dealership and sell Reader's Digest subscriptions. :whistle:

NEOWatcher
2005-Nov-18, 02:24 PM
Or, since they started from the same race, it would stand to reason that they would come up with the same ideas once in a while.

Swift
2005-Nov-18, 03:45 PM
The worst thing is that in the waiting room for sick bay, they only have 15 year old Reader's Digests to read. ;)

Ricimer
2005-Nov-22, 01:31 AM
The humvee is a bit much, but come on, you want them to keep an eye on the facing of book props? Especially such a casual incident? If they'd scanned across his bookshelf I'd expect them to use the opportunity to show the colony's literature, but a book he just put down for the scene?

If you want a bad shot of a book, I was watching an animated series (full metal alchemist) and I paused when they were referencing a book on alchemy. They had the symbols drawn in, and text, in english around it. The text: From a role playing game's manual. Often the same thing on letters after the 3rd line or so (or some odd/random philosophical/logic arguement).

E.g. To the "Full Metal Alchemist", Edward elric is to report to.... and so the industrial revolution was caused by....

Captain Kidd
2005-Nov-22, 04:49 AM
Background books not so much, but this one was in the foreground. I didn't catch the spine the first time because I didn't think about it. I shoulda have said that I backed up the DVD to check what was being displayed. Yeah it was a casual shot, heck the prop guy might have thought they weren't even going to pan down that far. I donno, just a minor pet peeve.

Wolverine
2005-Nov-22, 04:40 PM
In the future, ALL restaurants are Taco Bell.

Eww. These (http://www.tacocabana.com/index.asp) are infinitely better.

gethen
2005-Nov-23, 03:58 PM
Mostly I'm just appalled at Adama's taste in literature. I's expect him to be more drawn to military stuff--Machiavelli or even Caesar's Gallic commentaries. Reader's Digest Condensed books? Pretty short attention span.

Jim
2005-Nov-23, 05:55 PM
Mostly I'm just appalled at Adama's taste in literature. I's expect him to be more drawn to military stuff...

Hey, maybe it was the condensed version of Machiavelli or Caesar. Or my favorite, Xenophon's The Persian Expedition (which would be rather in keeping with the series).

Disinfo Agent
2005-Nov-23, 10:27 PM
The new Adama himself is a Reader's Digest condensed version of the old, so why not?

Captain Kidd
2005-Nov-24, 01:20 AM
Maybe he just got out of the head. ;)

Gemini
2005-Nov-25, 11:44 PM
Hey, all sorts of things end up in the BSG look at this [URL]http://www.starshipbuilder.com/bsg2003/RagTagFleet/MiscImages10-30-05/pages/Mini_TOS1701.htm[URL]

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-26, 10:17 AM
Hey, all sorts of things end up in the BSG look at this http://www.starshipbuilder.com/bsg2003/RagTagFleet/MiscImages10-30-05/pages/Mini_TOS1701.htm

You missed the "/" in the closing URL tag. I fixed it here. Is that a straight video capture without any photoshoping?

That ship right behind the Galactica looks somewhat like the XCV-330 (http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Enterprise_%28XCV-330%29) (also named "Enterprise"). Probably just a coincidence.

Gemini
2005-Nov-26, 08:55 PM
The Cg people (Zoic) apparently did this as an in- joke, as well as another shot that shows the Serenity.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Nov-26, 10:42 PM
That reminds me of another parody (http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/battlestar_90210/).