PDA

View Full Version : The Phantom Time Hypothesis

Lianachan
2005-Nov-21, 02:42 PM
Not sure precisely which fora this belongs on - it's a toss up between here and Conspiracy Theories, at a guess.

This article (http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=164) is discussing a claim that:

..the early Middle Ages (614-911 A.D.) never happened, but were added to the calendar long ago either by accident, by misinterpretation of documents, or by deliberate falsification by calendar conspirators.

Any thoughts?

Dark Jaguar
2005-Nov-21, 03:38 PM
First thought is, how dim could people have been to not notice they skipped a few hundred years by accident when making the new calenders. For some reason I feel as though if a global mistake in which the next new year brought in 2101, I think I might start asking questions. (Sorry, literal interpretation of this.)

Lianachan
2005-Nov-21, 03:40 PM
First thought is, how dim could people have been to not notice they skipped a few hundred years by accident when making the new calenders. For some reason I feel as though if a global mistake in which the next new year brought in 2101, I think I might start asking questions. (Sorry, literal interpretation of this.)

Indeed. The wikipedia entry for this subject lists many problems with it, quite apart from the common sense one you point out.

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Nov-21, 03:46 PM
Very amusing.

We have methods completely independent from documentation
to establish time-lines. Counting tree rings or C-14 analysis for instance.
No missing centuries.

Lianachan
2005-Nov-21, 03:50 PM
Very amusing.

We have methods completely independent from documentation
to establish time-lines. Counting tree rings or C-14 analysis for instance.
No missing centuries.

Yup, dendrochronological evidence is listed as a problem with this hypothesis at wiki.

genebujold
2005-Nov-22, 01:29 AM
Any thoughts?

You mean aside from the ancient drawings of stars in the position of the skies, along with recorded phenomena of supernovas, the remnants of which we have measured and backwards extrapolated that have corroborated our calenders and disproved the "missing years" theory?

Uh, no.

Beleth
2005-Nov-22, 03:27 AM
It has come to my attention that many things we all take for granted as taking place didn't actually take place:

- the Moon landings
- the Holocaust
- the American Civil War
- and now, 614-911 AD.

I am therefore putting forth my hypothesis:
Nothing in history ever actually happened.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-22, 03:42 AM
you mean I'm NOT 47 years old?

Not in support of this suggestion (I won't even dignify it by calling it a hypothesis).. but keep in mind, until very recently, historically speaking, the average joe didn't know, nor care, what callendar year it was. If the *church* propagated this hoax, it would have been accepted by everybody, hands down.

I think these guys missed the bus. The events they mention as not happening did indeed happen - what DIDN'T happen was this freakish callendar adjustment.

----------

the older I get, the bigger my gut