PDA

View Full Version : Lights on UFOs?

bbws1o
2005-Nov-21, 06:02 PM
Here's a thought I've had for years:

Why do people who see UFOs that they claim to be alien spacecraft always say they have flashing lights? Why would any "alien spacecraft" have any lights on it at all? The only reason aircraft on Earth have lights on them is as a warning to other aircraft, and I can't imagine extraterrestrials would be concerned with compliance with FAA regulations. It can't be necessary to be able to see where they're going or to navigate; military aircraft often undertake missions operating in "stealth mode" without any visible lights at all. And I can't imagine they'd be using them for communication, they must have heard of radio or something a bit more advanced than sending "blinker" semaphore, like WWII Navy ships.

It would seem that anything flying around with lights on it is, there, likely NOT to be any sort of space aliens.

weatherc
2005-Nov-21, 06:56 PM

Why do people who see UFOs that they claim to be alien spacecraft always say they have flashing lights? Why would any "alien spacecraft" have any lights on it at all?
I have posed exactly that question to UFO believers, and either gotten the response, "Uhhh; erm, uh..." or, "Because they're aliens! They don't think like we do!"

I have also asked government conspiracy believers why the government would fly super-duper top secret aircraft with their lights on so that everyone could see them. I have yet to hear a reasonable reply to that one, as well.

Edit: By the way, welcome to the board, bbws1o!

bbws1o
2005-Nov-21, 07:03 PM

Why do people who see UFOs that they claim to be alien spacecraft always say they have flashing lights? Why would any "alien spacecraft" have any lights on it at all? The only reason aircraft on Earth have lights on them is as a warning to other aircraft, and I can't imagine extraterrestrials would be concerned with compliance with FAA regulations. It can't be necessary to be able to see where they're going or to navigate; military aircraft often undertake missions operating in "stealth mode" without any visible lights at all. And I can't imagine they'd be using them for communication, they must have heard of radio or something a bit more advanced than sending "blinker" semaphore, like WWII Navy ships.

It would seem that anything flying around with lights on it is, therefore, likely NOT to be any sort of space aliens.

bbws1o
2005-Nov-21, 07:05 PM
This leads me to believe that "alien spacecraft" UFO sightings are just based on what people have seen in movies and TV shows.

Swift
2005-Nov-21, 08:43 PM
The Galactic Aviation Administration has very strick regulations on running lights on all civilian and military spacecraft (see sections AT25580192/193 through /632 for all the regs). Its one thing entering the restricted airspace of a quarantined class D sub-culture (pre-FTL) for some joyriding, but you can really get in trouble if your running light are not properly displayed. Just don't go there! :naughty:

aurora
2005-Nov-21, 08:58 PM
Regarding lights where there is no reason to have any, I once asked a Trekkie friend why Data had illuminated diodes in his head. Whenever an episode required opening up Data's head to put in a new chip or something, the closeup always showed some kind of circuit board with flashing LED's.

What were the LED's supposed to be for? No one was going to see them anyway.

The answer of course, was that people expected to see something happening so flashing lights just looked cool.

Same with the UFO's, people expect them to have flashing lights, and of course airplanes, helicopters, blimps, planets, and satellites can all have lights or appear to have lights, so all the mistaken UFO reports involve lights.

bbws1o
2005-Nov-21, 09:32 PM
Regarding lights where there is no reason to have any, I once asked a Trekkie friend why Data had illuminated diodes in his head. Whenever an episode required opening up Data's head to put in a new chip or something, the closeup always showed some kind of circuit board with flashing LED's.

What were the LED's supposed to be for? No one was going to see them anyway.

Well, now, they could have had some sort of diagnostic purpose for a technician who had a reason to pop the lid off Data's noggin for service or whatever. So that i could buy.

Same with the UFOs, people expect them to have flashing lights, and of course airplanes, helicopters, blimps, planets, and satellites can all have lights or appear to have lights, so all the mistaken UFO reports involve lights.

I could see an occasional flash of light reflected off a spacecraft's skin, after all, I have actually seen that from the ISS and the Space Shuttle. But an alien spacecraft flying with a bunch of marker/landing lights illuminated certainly makes no sense. Even on the Apollo missions, the landing craft didn't have external lights.

bbws1o
2005-Nov-21, 09:34 PM
The Galactic Aviation Administration has strict regulations on running lights on all civilian and military spacecraft (see sections AT25580192/193 through /632 for all the regs)...

That's news to me. See what you miss if you never leave Earth? :doh:

X-COM
2005-Nov-21, 09:35 PM
Maybe they have their own version of the FAA telling that they must have those lights? ;)

Swift
2005-Nov-21, 10:05 PM
Maybe they have their own version of the FAA telling that they must have those lights? ;)

ToSeeked in this thread (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=607128&postcount=5)

(Can you ToSeek nonsense? :think: :lol: )

genebujold
2005-Nov-22, 02:03 AM
I have also asked government conspiracy believers why the government would fly super-duper top secret aircraft with their lights on so that everyone could see them. I have yet to hear a reasonable reply to that one, as well.

Well, it's to prevent midair collisions with their super-duper top secret and unbelievable expensive (and super-duper top secret!) aircraft.

This is, after all, the reason for positioning lights, and I've yet to see any aircraft without them.

Sam5
2005-Nov-22, 02:30 AM

Why do people who see UFOs that they claim to be alien spacecraft always say they have flashing lights? Why would any "alien spacecraft" have any lights on it at all?

LOL. Maybe it's to conform with FAA regulations. They don't want to get fined. :):

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-22, 02:31 AM
Well, for both the UFO's and the lights in Data's head there seems to be an assumption: the lights are intentional, and not the unavoidable side effect of some other process or device. It is entirely plausible, relative to the rest of the UFO phenomenon and the Star Trek universe, that there are components that cannot function, or would be extremely inefficient, if they did not produce light as a side-effect. (note when I say the UFO phenomenon, I am referring to the public interest in UFOs, not the fact that people see things that can't explain with the information available) I am not trying to justify either, but in relation to how off-the-wall the rest of it is light does not seem that out of the ordinary.

Sam5
2005-Nov-22, 02:31 AM

Dang! You beat me to it!

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-22, 02:34 AM
LOL. Maybe it's to conform with FAA regulations. They don't want to get fined. :):
You are now the third person to suggest this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/icon_smile_poke.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/icon_smile_poke.gif

Sam5
2005-Nov-22, 02:57 AM
You are now the third person to suggest this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/icon_smile_poke.gif http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v89/toddrme/Smileys/icon_smile_poke.gif

Ok, Ok. That's what I get for posting too fast before I read all the other posts. :)

goodastronomy
2005-Nov-22, 03:14 AM
The simple answer is, they don't know. Nobody does.

IsaacKuo
2005-Nov-22, 04:37 AM
The flashing lights are just the paparazzi's cameras.

Extravoice
2005-Nov-22, 04:53 AM

It gets really complicated if a solar sail is involved. Let's see, "powered craft yields to solar sail unless sailing craft is overtaking powered craft."

Gives new meaning to the phrase "ship on a starboard tack."

eburacum45
2005-Nov-22, 01:42 PM
Magsails have a similar rule; 'Magsail not to be operated within 10km of unshielded electronic equipment'
and so on.

-----------
Lights on UFOS have always been a bugbear of mine; the standard answer from a UFO believer is that the motives of the aliens are too strange for us to understand using human standards.
Well, too much strange behaviour would be a bad thing if the aliens have evolved in a competitive universe; aliens with effective stealth would always win over those without.

So, here are some more possibilities which might apply, given the assumptions that a/ aliens exist and b/ they fly around lit up like Christmas trees...
1/ they don't care; they are so powerful that nothing we can do can harm them, and they are not interested in contacting our puny race. So why do they come here at all?
2/ their ships drives emit visible light as an unavoidable side effect of their propulsion; sorry, nothing they can do about it. Well in that case they should use different drives, or just use more surreptitious methods of observation inside the Earth's atmosphere. Otherwise they are going to be seen.
3/ They are doing it to annoy us; this is some kind of game or entertainment for them. Perhaps we are in a Rigellian reality show of some sort where they fly as low as possible to film and broadcast our reactions...
4/ Their psychology doesn't allow them to understand the importance of stealth. Perhaps they are unimaginative Vogons who have had common sense bred out of them.
4/a Following on from that idea, this is my favorite possibility; they might be post-intelligent creatures, which long ago developed an advanced interstellar civilisation but they made the support infrastructure too efficient. Given automated machinery which catered for their every need, and self repairing and self navigating starships, these creature would no longer need intelligence; they could live happily forever inside their flying servants for ever without thinking another original thought. They come to Earth because it is pretty; and they don't even realise that they have lights on the outside of their craft.

Just a few ideas.

Swift
2005-Nov-22, 03:41 PM
Good list eburacum45. Maybe they are just a style thing, like fins on an old Cadillac. A little 'bling' for the spaceship.

Sotos
2005-Nov-22, 04:02 PM
KANG: Foolish Earthlings! They do not realize that flashing lights are our mating signals!

KODOS: I'm strangely attracted to you.

KANG: I told you to cool it!

Eric Vaxxine
2005-Nov-22, 04:07 PM
The lights are their powersource ! Which is handy because, we all know aliens NEED attention (why else would they come to earth?) and powersource lights that FLASH as well, are perfect for attracting human interest.

bbws1o
2005-Nov-22, 05:30 PM
Maybe they come here as a sort of vacation to celebrate Vlxrgmas and those are their Vlxrgmas lights? ;-)

Swift
2005-Nov-22, 05:43 PM
The lights are their powersource ! Which is handy because, we all know aliens NEED attention (why else would they come to earth?) and powersource lights that FLASH as well, are perfect for attracting human interest.
That's it - they use them to attract humans so they can capture them!
"Hey Vern, look at all dem pretty lights, let's get closer"
:p

ktesibios
2005-Nov-22, 06:37 PM
When the messages they are flashing are translated, things become a little clearer:

"My clone is an honor student at Alpha Orionis Prep"

"Have you tentacled your clone today?"

"My genetic sources went to Andromeda and all I got was these lousy flashing lights"

"If you can decode these flashes, you're too darn close"

;)

galacsi
2005-Nov-22, 07:29 PM
A very clever disguise . . .

N C More
2005-Nov-22, 08:12 PM
:p

Now, that's funny! http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/froehlich/a080.gif

Closer, foolish humans, closer....watch the pretty lights! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/musik/h030.gif

genebujold
2005-Nov-22, 10:01 PM
A very clever disguise . . .

I know. Kind of makes you want to wipe the tears of your appreciation away...

Albert Einstien
2005-Nov-22, 10:05 PM
I have posed exactly that question to UFO believers, and either gotten the response, "Uhhh; erm, uh..." or, "Because they're aliens! They don't think like we do!"

Edit: By the way, welcome to the board, bbws1o!

aliens leave their light on to **** of the people who want to conserve energy.

Anla'Shok
2005-Nov-22, 10:53 PM
CAUTION!!

Do not read these post with a mouth full of coke, the stuff came out my nose when I read Sotos' Kang/Kodos and nearly fell on the floor with Swift's:

TrAI
2005-Nov-26, 12:17 AM
Heh. My guess is that its connected with some system vital to the functioning of the thing, like perhaps dumping excess energy, you know, you need a lot of energy for interstellar travel within any time frame that is viable, those things generate too much energy even at the minimum setting, so its either dump or burn... :p

As for the blinking lights in Data's head, well, quite a lot of electronic devices have diagnostic LEDs that no-one but technicians ever see. Also, a lot of external indicators on things like programmable logic controllers and networking equipment is generally just seen by the engineers, of course, since these devices are usually enclosed themselves, the lights may be counted internal to a system made from several interconnected modules, someone not familiar with such equipment may think these lights to be useless for a few moments, but then they will likely succumb to their hypnotic effect and...:sad: :shhh:

jkmccrann
2005-Nov-29, 05:08 PM
Maybe they just have one neverending disco thing going on, like they're permanently stuck in 1977 or something? ;)

goodastronomy
2005-Nov-29, 08:45 PM
The lights are generated by their energy source.

Klausnh
2005-Nov-29, 08:56 PM
And they can't use a piece of their out of this world, advanced technology to cover up their lights?

mid
2005-Nov-30, 02:26 PM
Duck Tape. The truly Universal solution to all problems.

goodastronomy
2005-Dec-01, 01:59 AM
And they can't use a piece of their out of this world, advanced technology to cover up their lights?

Perhaps if they wanted too.. Or maybe their just navigational lights.. Or maybe their just Lazors they use to measure distance and search for things.. Or perhaps they don't exist... Or perhaps they use these lights to get people to ask, "why do they have lights"?

:D

PhantomWolf
2005-Dec-01, 04:12 AM
Duck Tape. The truly Universal solution to all problems.

Is that tape that has been tarred and feathered, or do you mean Duct Tape? :razz:

PhantomWolf
2005-Dec-01, 04:13 AM
Or maybe their just Lazors they use to measure distance and search for things

What are Lazors?

goodastronomy
2005-Dec-01, 04:47 AM
What are Lazors?

:doh:

:clap: It's just like the word Duck Tape. You take it to the world of stupid and you come out with "Lazors".

:lol:

IsaacKuo
2005-Dec-01, 05:15 AM
Duck tape is the solution to avian bird flu. Keeps the dirty infectious buggers all wrapped up.

Swift
2005-Dec-01, 05:19 AM
Duck tape is the solution to avian bird flu. Keeps the dirty infectious buggers all wrapped up.
I bet you used your powers of de-duck-tion to figure that out. :rolleyes:

ZappBrannigan
2005-Dec-01, 08:46 AM
Perhaps we are in a Rigellian reality show of some sort where they fly as low as possible to film and broadcast our reactions...

I am now officially terrified. This is the most plausible explanation I have ever heard. It's so plausible it must be true. It's accurate to within 1/10th of a plausibility unit.

We've gotten it all wrong: They're not doing medical experiments on us... they're filming episodes of Wild Kingdom and The Crocodile Hunter! We're being tagged and released!

We're through the looking glass here, people.

In an unrelated joke, why does the Intergalactic FAA only require them to turn on their 100 megawatt lights at night? You never see a saucer with its lights on during the day, unless it's a U-Haul or a funeral procession.

mid
2005-Dec-01, 01:33 PM
Is that tape that has been tarred and feathered, or do you mean Duct Tape? :razz:

Duck Tape (http://www.ducktapeclub.com/) - the most popular (and best) brand of the type of tape that people who don't like brand names (or don't know the history of the tape) refer to as "duct tape (http://www.octanecreative.com/ducttape/duckvsduct.html)".

NEOWatcher
2005-Dec-01, 02:28 PM
Or maybe their just Lazors they use to measure distance and search for things
What are Lazors?
Bob Lazor? (still spelt rong)

hewhocaves
2005-Dec-01, 07:40 PM
it's not lights...

its mirrors reflecting lights from the woo-woos pointing things at them.

turbo-1
2005-Dec-01, 07:59 PM
Silly humans! Our crafts extract infinite energy from the vacuum fields of space, but our FTL drives, being quite efficient, require slightly less than an infinite amount of energy, so we have to shed the excess in some way. Would you rather that we flew around your Earth emitting the excess as gamma rays? We can do that, if you don't mind being fried. We thought you would prefer the colored lights emitting in your visible spectrum. We got the idea from the city you call "Vegas".