PDA

View Full Version : Baking Day

Cylinder
2005-Nov-22, 09:41 PM
I'm heading for McKinney, TX Wednesday to spend Thanksgiving with my family - which makes today Baking Day.

The treats for this year:

Banana Nut Bread
Pumpkin Bread
Carrot Cake
Blueberry Muffins
Chocolate Chip Cookies (Alton Brown's The Thin)

I also have a suspicious-looking Caramel Fudge recipe from the internet. If anyone has a tried-and-true fudge recipe they wish to share it would be greatly appreciated. I've never actually made caramel before. They sell this nice layered chocolate/caramel and pecan fudge at the deli but I don't think they will share the recipe.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-22, 10:37 PM
what??? no Lemon Merangue pie? Ha! you won't see ME in Texas!

Roving Philosopher
2005-Nov-23, 03:14 AM
Believe it or not, the recipe from the Kraft Marshmallow Creme jar is really good (the old recipe, found here (http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/recipe191.fantasyfudge.html))

I used to make this all the time in my dorm room in college. It's pretty quick, and works suprisingly well out of the microwave.

trinitree88
2005-Nov-23, 03:20 AM
Believe it or not, the recipe from the Kraft Marshmallow Creme jar is really good (the old recipe, found here (http://www.christmas-cookies.com/recipes/recipe191.fantasyfudge.html))

I used to make this all the time in my dorm room in college. It's pretty quick, and works suprisingly well out of the microwave.

The marshmallow keeps the fudge from crystallizing excessively: it is good. Used to make candy canes with the chemistry classes at Xmas..great fun, and there is a lot of physical chemistry there....used Jim Beard's taffy recipe. Ciao. Pete

SG-1 Fan
2005-Nov-23, 03:25 AM
"Hot" Baked Beans

Nonstick cooking oil spray
1 (15 ounce) can black beans
1 (28 ounce) can "Bush's Best" (any style) baked beans
1 (15 ounce) can navy beans
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 medium bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 jalapeño, minced
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
2 teaspoons chipotle powder (ESSENTIAL- DO NOT LEAVE OUT!!)
2 slices bacon (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 11-inch baking pan with oil spray.

Combine all ingredients, including liquid from beans, in baking pan. Stir gently, but thoroughly, until all ingredients are mixed well. If you are using the bacon, lay the strips across the top of baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the mixture is bubbly. Serve immediately.

Cylinder
2005-Nov-23, 04:05 AM
Thanks for the recipe SG-1, I'm going to try those next time I grill.

Unfortunately, I made a most excellent caramel sauce - which would be a good thing if I wasn't trying to make fudge. Either it's too humid or my thermometer needs calibrating.

I tested the precursor in water at napalm stage and it made nice little soft balls so at this point I am confused. This is the second time I've done the same thing. It turns out the consistency of wood glue.

Cylinder
2005-Nov-23, 04:06 AM

I may try that one when I get to McKinney if time allows. Thanks.

Cylinder
2005-Nov-23, 04:08 AM
Used to make candy canes with the chemistry classes at Xmas..great fun, and there is a lot of physical chemistry there....used Jim Beard's taffy recipe. Ciao. Pete

I made some passable peanut brittle last year. It could have been a little less grainy, but all things considered it was a good first attempt. I used the Good Eats (http://www.altonbrown.com/) recipe for that as well. Alton is probably a bit too campy, but I like the way he presents recipes by explaining the chemistry and the Whys as well as the Hows. That's kinda how I think, I suppose.

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-23, 04:10 AM
Wow, 8 posts an not a single piece of food I can actually eat :p

Charlie in Dayton
2005-Nov-23, 06:13 AM
Ya wanna really gross 'em out? There's nothing grosser than The Kitty Litter Cake! (http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/dessert/cakes/kittylittercake.html)

Titana
2005-Nov-23, 06:55 AM
I just love cooking and baking, so i am all over the web looking for new recipes to try out. Here is a link where you can find all kinds of fudge recipes anywhere from peanut butter fudge to triple chocolate fudge.

www.fudge-recipes.net/

Titana......

SG-1 Fan
2005-Nov-23, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the recipe SG-1, I'm going to try those next time I grill.

You’re welcome. I know baked beans were not in your original list, but they are so darn good I had to post it. Caution though, they are not for the timid! Enjoy your visit!

SG-1 Fan
2005-Nov-29, 10:16 PM
For curiosities sake, did anyone try the baked beans recipe?

Gillianren
2005-Nov-29, 11:13 PM
Nope. I don't like baked beans.

I will, however, be making Massive Gingerbread Recipe of Doom this week. Or, actually, half a recipe, as I don't have a bowl (or refrigerator!) big enough for a full recipe. A full one calls for 24 cups of flour.

Cylinder
2005-Nov-29, 11:19 PM
For curiosities sake, did anyone try the baked beans recipe?

Not yet. I'll have to visit the butcher or thaw out some venison and fire up the grill next week. I'll let you know what I think - though be warned, when asked for an honest opinion I usually give one.

genebujold
2005-Nov-29, 11:59 PM
I just love cooking and baking, so i am all over the web looking for new recipes to try out. Here is a link where you can find all kinds of fudge recipes anywhere from peanut butter fudge to triple chocolate fudge.

www.fudge-recipes.net/

Titana......

One of these days, when I'm more appropriately disassociated from my pending divorce and the many hours we spent in the kitchen (and painful memories of my wife being absent my life), I'll definately move back into my more domestic habits, which included baking, soups, stews, chilis, roasts, and a dozen other enjoyable dishes.

But for now, I'll simply store your fudge recipies as a future reference. Hope you understand.

SG-1 Fan
2005-Nov-30, 12:54 AM
Not yet. I'll have to visit the butcher or thaw out some venison and fire up the grill next week. I'll let you know what I think - though be warned, when asked for an honest opinion I usually give one.

No worries. I don't claim ownership of the recipe. I just REALLY like it!

paulie jay
2005-Nov-30, 01:22 AM
Gee, I wish we had an eating holiday down here...

Oh we do - Christmas day - but I wish we had another one :)

Titana
2005-Nov-30, 02:16 AM
One of these days, when I'm more appropriately disassociated from my pending divorce and the many hours we spent in the kitchen (and painful memories of my wife being absent my life), I'll definately move back into my more domestic habits, which included baking, soups, stews, chilis, roasts, and a dozen other enjoyable dishes.

But for now, I'll simply store your fudge recipies as a future reference. Hope you understand.

Good to know you like cooking, cookings fun, i just love it........Hope you can share one of your favorite recipes one of these days.....

SG-1 Fan
2005-Nov-30, 02:43 AM
Gee, I wish we had an eating holiday down here...

How many "drinking" holidays do you have in Australia? If it's more than 4, I'm on the next flight out! :razz:

farmerjumperdon
2005-Nov-30, 04:59 AM
Nope. I don't like baked beans.

I will, however, be making Massive Gingerbread Recipe of Doom this week. Or, actually, half a recipe, as I don't have a bowl (or refrigerator!) big enough for a full recipe. A full one calls for 24 cups of flour.

Egad! 24 cups, that must be like 10 or 15 pounds of flour. Some people are satisfied with a gingerbread house, sounds like you could put up a small subdivision.

paulie jay
2005-Nov-30, 02:22 PM
How many "drinking" holidays do you have in Australia? If it's more than 4, I'm on the next flight out! :razz:

Well let's see now - there's New Years Eve/Day, so that's an easy one.

Australia Day (bbq and drinking) - number two

Good Friday/ Easter weekend (chocolate and drinking) - that's three.

Queen's Birthday (listening to Bohemian Rhapsody and drinking) - four.

ANZAC Day (two-up and drinking) - five and counting.

Melbourne Cup Day (if in Melbourne), horses, hats and drinking - number six

Labour Day (doing nothing and drinking) - seven.

Christmas Day(presents of booze and drinking) - eight.
Boxing Day (hair of the dog) - number nine.

plus something in Tasmania they call "Eight Hours Day" which I assume is eight hours of drinking. - 10 big days

These are all paid holidays by the way.

Shall we book your tickets this week or next? :lol:

SG-1 Fan
2005-Dec-02, 06:29 PM
Shall we book your tickets this week or next? :lol:

If only it were that easy! Australia is definitely on my "must see" list though. I was fortunate enough to train with a unit of the Australian Army while I was stationed at Schofield Barracks, Hi. Their descriptions of Australia sold me.

Parrothead
2005-Dec-02, 08:48 PM
Egad! 24 cups, that must be like 10 or 15 pounds of flour. Some people are satisfied with a gingerbread house, sounds like you could put up a small subdivision.

LOL! Not quite that bad, 24 cups of flour only works out to 6-6.5 lbs. Still a large batch though. Currently, I'm busy making "kringels" (similar to german stollen). A pretzel-shaped coffee bread which includes such yummy ingredients such as cardamon, saffron, raisins and marzipan (optional), once cooled, topped with almonds (optional) and icing sugar.

I've been good at avoiding gingerbread recipes so far, will start on houses, cookies and decorations next week. Somewhere along the way, yule logs and other goodies will be thrown into the mix as well. :)

One of these years, I might make use of the directions to wire the gingerbread houses with lights, as well. I find it fun enough, occasionally, trying to make templates, so the gingerbread houses, actually resemble people's houses.