PDA

View Full Version : Self 2.0

sarongsong
2005-Nov-23, 09:24 AM
"...Avatar, a concept from Hindu mythology that means "the incarnation of a god," is an age-old concept that entered computer lingo in the 1960s but only recently has become a mass-cultural phenomenon..." Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/21/AR2005112101787.html)

Sammy
2005-Nov-23, 05:40 PM
Two other defintions which link well to current net usage:

An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.

A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar

Candy
2005-Nov-23, 07:50 PM
But more often, as is the case with Maynard, users say that avatars help build greater closeness and trust online and that the avatars hew closely to the users' actual personalities.
My avatar closely resembles my actual personality. :razz:

What an interesting article!

George
2005-Nov-23, 09:39 PM
That's neat. I figured avatar wasn't a solvent. ;)

George
2005-Nov-23, 09:46 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you Babbers, Bauters, Babblers, Boasters, Bedazzlers and de-Bunkers.

Hope you've enjoyed this turkey, and, especially, the one tomorrow, too. [Gig'em Aggies, hmmmmm :razz: ]

[Or has Candy done something special I missed?]

LurchGS
2005-Nov-23, 09:47 PM
who's going to carve the roast beast?

Candy
2005-Nov-23, 09:55 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you Babbers, Bauters, Babblers, Boasters, Bedazzlers and de-Bunkers.

Hope you've enjoyed this turkey, and, especially, the one tomorrow, too. [Gig'em Aggies, hmmmmm :razz: ]

[Or has Candy done something special I missed?]
Nope, I've done nothing special. I most likely won't.

BTW, I'll be working this Holiday week (and next).

Happy Turkey Day, George.

genebujold
2005-Nov-23, 10:45 PM
My avatar closely resembles my actual personality.

What? The green girl on Star Trek who was after Captan Kirk during Season 1?

LurchGS
2005-Nov-23, 10:59 PM
oh... I thought she was feeling a bit ill....

Candy
2005-Nov-23, 11:08 PM
^^^^
Orion Slave Girl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orions)

Despite the appearance that the females are under the control of the males, the women actually manipulate the males as a covert method of conducting business. They secrete powerful pheromones that make males open to suggestion and give other females headaches. Vulcans seem to be immune to these pheromones.
Don’t tell ToSeek. :shhh:

montebianco
2005-Nov-24, 02:19 AM
My avatar closely resembles my actual personality. :razz:

So does mine.

Candy
2005-Nov-24, 02:32 AM
So does mine.
:lol:

Don't crucify me, but I don't watch "Father Ted" very often.
What is that show called?
You're the old priest that sleeps a lot, right? :shifty:

montebianco
2005-Nov-24, 02:37 AM
:lol:

Don't crucify me, but I don't watch Father Ted (or whatever the show) is very often. You're the old priest in the old chair, right? :shifty:

Well, I'm not :) But the avatar is, that's Father Jack, who is dirty and disheveled, and does little more than shout "Drink!" and "Girls!" and a few other things that may or may not be against the forum rules...

The topic of Father Ted came up at the Apollo Hoax forum, where someone was commenting on the appearance of rocks in one of the moon photos. Someone else referenced the episode wherein Father Ted uses small plastic cows inside and real cows outside in a pasture to explain to Father Dougal the difference between "small" and "far away." Thus began a chain of events which ended with selection of my new avatar :)

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-24, 03:01 AM
I can't wait until I can DL myself onto a computer.

Candy
2005-Nov-24, 03:08 AM
Well, I'm not :) But the avatar is, that's Father Jack, who is dirty and disheveled, and does little more than shout "Drink!" and "Girls!" and a few other things that may or may not be against the forum rules...

The topic of Father Ted came up at the Apollo Hoax forum, where someone was commenting on the appearance of rocks in one of the moon photos. Someone else referenced the episode wherein Father Ted uses small plastic cows inside and real cows outside in a pasture to explain to Father Dougal the difference between "small" and "far away." Thus began a chain of events which ended with selection of my new avatar :)
Keep us posted on further events. :)

For Lonewulf, I can't wait, either. ;)