PDA

View Full Version : Computer Gaming Goes to College

sarongsong
2005-Nov-24, 05:21 AM
November 22, 2005 (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20051122/news_1n22gaming.html)
"...fewer than a dozen North American universities offered game-related programs five years ago. Now, that figure is more than 100, with dozens more overseas..."A lot of students that come out of this program may not go to work for Electronic Arts. They may go to Wall Street. Because to me, there is no significant difference – except for clothing preference...It's largely the same skill set, the critical thinking. Games are becoming a major part of our lives, and there is actually good news in that."...---Bob Kerrey, president of the New School..."

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-24, 05:53 AM
:D :D :D

That's coolios.

GDwarf
2005-Nov-24, 01:02 PM
>_< I'd hope that none of the graduites would work for EA games, but that's besides the point.

This is neat, but unfortunately the Video Game designer market is now flooded, my dream job was taking a course like that then working for Bioware corp, my favourite video game company. Now, of course, everyone wants to work for a video game company so not only are the courses fully booked but any new game designers get minimum wage, if they can find a job at all.

jumbo
2005-Nov-24, 03:55 PM
Add to that the companies know theres more designers and programmers where the last lot came from. They can afford to burn out the current crop and if they cant hack the sometimes insane pace then fire em and hire some fresh ones seems to be the way of things at certain places.

Id love to program games, and i do but in my own time. Doing it professionally seems like a quick way to end up hating what is now a hobby.

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-27, 08:23 AM
My best friend got into a very comptetive computer gaming program at a university. He dropped out so he could run his video game company full-time. He licensed his engine to a a bunch of companies, sold it to Epic (apparently Epic thought the engine was more competition for the Quake 3 engine than they were comfortable with so they decided to kill it), and is now making a game for the Xbox 360 and PC with the help of another development company he hired with the proceeds.