PDA

View Full Version : BA in Macy's Parade

Faultline
2005-Nov-24, 06:38 PM
I'm still watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC as I write this. Earlier, Dora the Explorer floated by in all her educational grandeur. Unfortunately, the announcers (or, the writers for their facts) made one or two little educational mistakes in one sentence.

"If Dora wanted to go exploring on the moon, she'd have trouble hitching a ride. She's as tall as the Space Shuttle Endeavor!"

I don't think so. How tall is the Endeavor? They must be considering horizontal height, not launchpad height.

Not the mention... to the moon?

novaderrik
2005-Nov-25, 03:27 PM
i wish Dora would get on a ship to the moon..

Tobin Dax
2005-Nov-25, 11:03 PM
Well, that statement doesn't necessarily imply that she would be *taking* the shuttle to the moon, Just that she's the size of one. So we could give the announcers the benefit of the doubt. ;) You're probably right, but I wanted to play devil's advocate. :)

kanathan
2005-Nov-26, 11:26 PM
Endeavor is about 122 ft long and 57 ft tall. I assume the annoucers were considering the length of the orbiter. I'm not sure how big the Dora float is, but I would think it would be reasonable for the float to be similar to, if not larger then the orbiter.

2005-Nov-27, 12:05 AM
Endeavor is about 122 ft long and 57 ft tall. I assume the annoucers were considering the length of the orbiter. I'm not sure how big the Dora float is, but I would think it would be reasonable for the float to be similar to, if not larger then the orbiter.

Yahoo: Press Release: Macy's Announces New Giant Helium Balloons (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/051101/sftu102.html?.v=30)

Dora measures 43.5 feet in length, 39 feet in width and 55 feet tall.

So Dora's 2 feet shorter than Endeavour is tall -- pretty close to what the announcer said.