PDA

View Full Version : Deep Space 9- The forgotten Trek series

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Nov-25, 12:34 PM
Does anyone else think that it is sort of sad the way DS9 was essentially forgotten once it ended? There should have been a DS9 movie. It was a great series.

novaderrik
2005-Nov-25, 03:23 PM
what's there to make a movie out of? all the loose ends got tied up.
altho, the ending of the last episode kind of left me feeling that they intended to make a movie of some sort.

Tinaa
2005-Nov-25, 03:26 PM
There are books written about events after the last show. Avatar, I think is the name of the book series.

gopher65
2005-Nov-25, 04:43 PM
Well, I liked DS9, but the last episode was so bad that it killed the series for me. I hated that episode.

Glom
2005-Nov-25, 07:33 PM
Well, I liked DS9, but the last episode was so bad that it killed the series for me. I hated that episode.

So yes. I wrote an abridged script for it. They didn't plan it out well enough. They got tied in knots and drowned.

I don't think any movies were demanded but the way it was forgotten by the franchise afterwards (see ST:N) was rather disgraceful.

I'm just glad it's over and the universe can move on post Trek.

Tobin Dax
2005-Nov-25, 11:18 PM
The higher-ups never liked DS9, so they tended to ignore it. Berman kinda kept his fingers out of the DS9 pot for the most part. There's no surprise that it's not brought up afterwards.

As much as I might like to see a DS9 movie, I don't know if I really want to. They'll screw it up too much. I'm happy enough with the novels, even though their release has slown down a bit.

There are books written about events after the last show. Avatar, I think is the name of the book series.

Avatar parts 1&2 are the first two books in the DS9 "Relaunch" novel series. There are a number of books that are part of the relaunch, with a good ten having been published recently.

Found it: the books out now (in the editor's recommended reading order, not chronologically story-wise or publication-wise) are the following.
Section 31: Abyss
Gateways #4: Demons of Air and Darkness
Gateways #7: What Lay Beyond: "Horn and Ivory"
Mission: Gamma
#1: Twilight
#2: This Gray Spirit
#3: Cathedral
#4: Lesser Evil
Rising Son
The Lives of Dax
The Left Hand of Destiny, Books One & Two
Unity
The Worlds of Deep Space Nine
#1: Cardassia/Andor
#2: Bajor/Trill
#3: Dominion/Ferenginar

The next book is due out spring 2006.

One more comment: Those of us who like the series haven't forgotten it. :D

jt-3d
2005-Nov-25, 11:37 PM
DS9 is hardly forgotten. You can't start a trek thread without half the posts saying how much they loved DS9. The problem was one of timing - having come after TNG and then getting forgotten because of Voyager.
What chaps my hide is that even though I watched it when it was in production, I want to watch it again but every time I find it on, usually sunday morning around 0300, it only stays for a few weeks and then gets dumped. I would like to see it put back on somewhere decent and left for a change.
Poor poor DS9, the unloved series (at least by the networks). I propose one slot on say Thursday prime time exclusively for Trek. Start with TOS and run one a week through each series. There are lots of time which get filled with crap shows just because there's nothing else to run. Surely one one hour slot can be used for Trek. Call it 'The Trek Hour' or 'Trek Theater' or something. Yeah, that'll happen

Moose
2005-Nov-26, 12:41 AM
Already exists, JT. It's called Spike TV. *chuckle*

V-GER
2005-Nov-26, 01:53 AM
No it wasn't forgotten, it's a great show, the two last seasons of it anyway.

Gullible Jones
2005-Nov-26, 03:29 AM
Jumped the shark after they killed off Lt. Dax (?) and gave the worm-critter another host. The new woman (Ezra?) was probably the worst actress ever to appear in a sci-fi series.

James_Digriz
2005-Nov-26, 05:36 AM
Does anyone else think that it is sort of sad the way DS9 was essentially forgotten once it ended? There should have been a DS9 movie. It was a great series.

My favorite of the Trek shows. It had a lot more episodes with drama in them then the other series.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Nov-26, 06:41 PM
nice to see so many DS9 fans...Tobin Dax (nice handle)

Doodler
2005-Nov-27, 12:08 AM
Frankly, I think it was the best one from a character stand point. It improved for me on or about season 3 when Sisko showed up with the Defiant and the Hawk style bald/goatee thing going.

Definitely an upswing from old school episodic Trek, even the mirror universe and time travel episodes.

frenat
2005-Nov-27, 12:17 AM
I thought it got much better when they got the Defiant. I also really enjoyed the Dominion war and the seasons leading up to it.

Tobin Dax
2005-Nov-27, 09:04 AM
nice to see so many DS9 fans...Tobin Dax (nice handle)

Thanks. I'm surprised that you seem not to have noticed it before. We've been on the BABB for the same amount of time, even. :)

CTM VT 2K
2005-Nov-27, 11:19 AM
Perhaps because it was "forgotten" (at least by the higher-ups) it was better than the rest. They just went with the story without as much of the meddling as went into Voyager or Enterprise. As I think about it, DS9 in some ways was almost better than TNG - I look at the continuing storylines that TNG never really did. Voyager never kept my interest - far too formulaic, and Enterprise managed to bore me (that and E was on a bad night for me to catch it in the 1st season, and I've just not been able to catch much TV since then).

Maksutov
2005-Nov-27, 01:05 PM
Let's see, Deep Space 9... Isn't that the radiotelescope between numbers 8 and 10 that is part of the DSN?

Nice to know someone based a TV show on it. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

Tobin Dax
2005-Nov-28, 05:24 PM
Let's see, Deep Space 9... Isn't that the radiotelescope between numbers 8 and 10 that is part of the DSN?

Nice to know someone based a TV show on it. http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

The image (FITS-file) processing software called DS9 is named after the show. The second version was called TNG for obvious reasons, and they decided to continue that for the third. So it goes at least one way. ;)

Dave Mitsky
2005-Nov-28, 05:59 PM
I enjoyed DS9 a lot more than Voyager.

Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky
2005-Nov-28, 06:08 PM
Jumped the shark after they killed off Lt. Dax (?) and gave the worm-critter another host. The new woman (Ezra?) was probably the worst actress ever to appear in a sci-fi series.

I'm not sure if I agree with that statement, but she (Ezri) certainly was cute.

http://mario.lapam.mo.it/ds9/Ezri.htm

Nicole deBoer currently plays Sarah Bannerman on "The Dead Zone".

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/thedeadzone/theshow/characterprofiles/deboer/index.html

Dave Mitsky

Gullible Jones
2005-Nov-29, 01:00 AM
Doesn't change the fact that she couldn't act worth a dime, not then anyway.

Doodler
2005-Nov-29, 06:40 AM
I wasn't overly impressed by the breakthrough performance of another actress who got her professional start on TNG. Though there are few who would now question Ashley Judd's acting ability.

Aeons ago, Terri Garr was a little shakey when she made her first pro acting appearance in TOS.

"For everything, there is a first time."

erisi236
2005-Nov-29, 06:51 PM
It's certainly not forgoten by me, I have the whole series on DVD :)

A few too many Worf episodes towards the end but still... :D

Lord Jubjub
2005-Nov-30, 04:03 AM
I wasn't overly impressed by the breakthrough performance of another actress who got her professional start on TNG. Though there are few who would now question Ashley Judd's acting ability.

There might be a few, but a whole lot more people definitely question her choice of movie roles.

I think DS9 benefitted from the competition with Babylon 5, which was deep into its series at the time.

Laurie
2005-Dec-03, 07:41 AM
Yeah, I remember reading that people were pointing fingers at both DS9 And B5 were so much alike....they are not, though. But DS9 was getting more interesting as time went on with longer story arcs and being darker than the previous TNG. Especially how some aspects were ended. But it's premise was different anyway. Maybe someday some of the loose ends will get tied up with a movie or two. It deserves that much.

I only got to watch B5 when SciFi Channel was airing the episodes to see what I had been missing all along.

No, not the same at all.

Tobin Dax
2005-Dec-03, 11:56 AM
I really don't see any loose ends that *need* to be tied up, as a few people seem to have asserted in this thread. Sisko is with the Prophets, and he will come back at some point, but that's about it, and that's still closure to his storyline. Everybody has basically been brought to the point the series was taking them. Julian is with Dax, O'Brien and family are settled safely on Earth, Sisko is with the Prophets, the Bajorans are in charge of the station through Kira, Nog got a promotion, Worf is finally on Qo'noS, Odo has rejoined his people, and Ben's absence is one last thing to bring Jake into adulthood and independece. Quark's presence is just a constant :) I don't think a movie is necessary to tie anything up, as there isn't anything to tie up.

Doodler
2005-Dec-03, 11:19 PM
Well... they could always open a new can of worms. :)

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Dec-04, 02:33 AM
Well... they could always open a new can of worms. :)
You Mean, Gahk?

What Variety ...

There are 47, Different Kinds!!!

:sick:

Roy Batty
2005-Dec-04, 05:19 PM
I got tired of it when I realised it was becoming a bad B5 rip off...
Flame away!!! .. runs away with coat to hide ;-D :surprised

Glom
2005-Dec-04, 05:34 PM
I still have the abridged script for the final episode (http://www.geocities.com/freedomforfission/misc/whatyouleavebehind.html).

Roy Batty
2005-Dec-04, 05:58 PM
LOL! Thats absolutely B*y great Glom! .. still laughing:D

Uh oh... not sure i'm looking foward to the SG1 treatment;)

p.s That's the abridged script for the entire 7 series right?... right?!! ;)

James_Digriz
2005-Dec-06, 03:48 AM
LOL! Thats absolutely B*y great Glom! .. still laughing:D

Uh oh... not sure i'm looking foward to the SG1 treatment;)

p.s That's the abridged script for the entire 7 series right?... right?!! ;)

I just read that also. Funny stuff.

Reminded me of Vic who I never liked.