PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans and Critical Thinking

Jason Gortician
2005-Nov-26, 01:05 AM
Cell Phone Photo Purports to Show Detonation of New Orleans Floodwall

http://www.bedoper.com/neworleans

twinstead
2005-Nov-26, 01:22 AM
Of course. That picture is a total smoking gun...

:doh:

Sam5
2005-Nov-26, 01:46 AM
I don't think that picture shows anything but some light and dark pixels.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 02:44 AM
Dude, look closely. They look like friggin' chicks! As in, baby chickens! Or at least, baby birds!

Jason Gortician
2005-Nov-26, 03:49 AM
Dude, look closely. They look like friggin' chicks! As in, baby chickens! Or at least, baby birds!

Sure they do.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 03:51 AM
Well, they do to me at least. it's like a really really zoomed in pic of two baby birds. I'm probably wrong, but it's still funny to me.

Jason Gortician
2005-Nov-26, 03:54 AM
Well, they do to me at least. it's like a really really zoomed in pic of two baby birds. I'm probably wrong, but it's still funny to me.

Riiiight. I agree completely.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 03:55 AM
Glad you do.

Obviousman
2005-Nov-26, 10:15 AM
Looks like baby chickens to me, too.

Stop the presses! There be chickens in New Orleans!

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-26, 10:27 AM
The plot thickens! The name of the image is "chicks2.jpg" . . .

Edited to add direct link:

http://www.bedoper.com/neworleans/chicks2.jpg

eburacum45
2005-Nov-26, 10:39 AM
Chicks2.jpg!
Yes, it is named that!

Someone really has a sick sense of humor.

Obviousman
2005-Nov-26, 10:50 AM
Why didn't I think of checking that!

DOH!

Obviousman
2005-Nov-26, 11:21 AM
The web page as now been modifed to show the original image of the chicks, with the tag line:

"or maybe it's just a couple of chicks" or similar.

This guy is a flamer.

goodastronomy
2005-Nov-26, 12:05 PM
The irony is he was (complaining about) quality of the "Flight 77" images, but when he needs a fuzzy incomprehensible image to support yet another conspiracy - IT'S FINE. :D

R.A.F.
2005-Nov-26, 02:03 PM
Kinda ironic that the words critical thinking are in the title of this thread. :)

Jason...will you now admit that the site you linked to is mistaken about the "detonation"??

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 04:36 PM
I was the first to tell that it was a pair of chicks.

Man, I rock. I love me.

tbm
2005-Nov-26, 05:59 PM
Hmmmmmm............... "Bedoper".

THAT explains a lot.

tbm

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 06:24 PM
Whoever took that photo must've been a chick magnet

KookBuster
2005-Nov-26, 07:00 PM
Kinda ironic that the words critical thinking are in the title of this thread. :)

Jason...will you now admit that the site you linked to is mistaken about the "detonation"??

I saw this site weeks ago. The photo was always there. You guys need to admit you were fooled.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 07:02 PM
I wasn't fooled. I just saw this picture yesterday, when he posted it up. My first responce was, "Dude... chicks!"

genebujold
2005-Nov-26, 07:21 PM
I'm overwhelmed by the lack of visual evidence. This is incredibly substandard to the Apollo Moon hoax stuff.

Jim
2005-Nov-26, 09:31 PM
Whoa, hey, wait a minute... Is someone saying that the NO levees were blown up by a group of terrorist chickens?? Is this retribution for the Chik Filet ad campaign? Or is it related to the Infamous Jambalaya Conspiracy?

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 10:17 PM
Well, chicks DO rule over the minds of (straight) men...

Oh, wait, wrong chicks.

genebujold
2005-Nov-27, 08:26 PM
Come on, folks - we all know that Al, the New Orlean's resident and owner of the Popeye's Fried Chicken chain had the most to gain, er, "lose," as a result of the flooding.

Come on! Where's he gonna display his Christmas lights this year? Where's he gonna race his boat?

twinstead
2005-Nov-28, 02:00 AM
Okay I've read this thread and am confused. Did Jason Gortician (http://www.bautforum.com/member.php?u=11380) submit that picture of chickens seriously as some kind of smoking gun evidence, or was it done tongue in cheek?

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-28, 02:54 AM
Okay I've read this thread and am confused. Did Jason Gortician (http://www.bautforum.com/member.php?u=11380) submit that picture of chickens seriously as some kind of smoking gun evidence, or was it done tongue in cheek?

In his profile, www.bedoper.com is listed as his website, and that image, and the one lower on the page make it clear it is flat out fakery. I think he was trying to "get us" - trollish behavior. Given many of his other comments, I don't think he was just trying to be funny.

genebujold
2005-Nov-28, 04:29 AM
I concede - it's the "Infamous Jambalaya Conspiracy" that rules.

jrkeller
2005-Dec-01, 04:38 PM
Here's some new information (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051201/ap_on_re_us/new_orleans_levees_2;_ylt=AnD6Vn8Twqov_MBj4iftsqIb LisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl) as to why the levees failed. Seems that they were not built to the required specifications.

mid
2005-Dec-01, 06:05 PM
I saw this site weeks ago. The photo was always there. You guys need to admit you were fooled.

Two questions (and I understand that I probably won't get an answer to either, but it's worth a try):

1) who was fooled, exactly? Everyone just thought it was a picture of some chicks, apart from the original poster Jason (since banned for sundry offenses)

2) KookBuster was also banned recently, with at least an implication that it was for being Jason's sockpuppet. Which makes the "I saw this site weeks ago" comment rather amusing in a pretty sad way. Was that indeed the reason?

Van Rijn
2005-Dec-01, 11:10 PM
Two questions (and I understand that I probably won't get an answer to either, but it's worth a try):

1) who was fooled, exactly? Everyone just thought it was a picture of some chicks, apart from the original poster Jason (since banned for sundry offenses)

Yes, it didn't take long for it to collapse, although it was a good reminder to read the whole page.

2) KookBuster was also banned recently, with at least an implication that it was for being Jason's sockpuppet. Which makes the "I saw this site weeks ago" comment rather amusing in a pretty sad way. Was that indeed the reason?

According to Fraser (and pretty obvious from his own comments) Kookbuster was a sock of Jason's. As I said here:

http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=611234&postcount=26

this was Jason's webpage. He knew exactly what he was posting.

JayUtah
2005-Dec-02, 07:37 PM
But do the chickens have large talons?

Sam5
2005-Dec-04, 02:33 AM
I was the first to tell that it was a pair of chicks.

Man, I rock. I love me.

Yes, they are chickens. You should receive a prize.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-04, 02:36 AM
Yes, they are chickens. You should receive a prize.

Yes, I should.

http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=020412

I'll take a working version of one of these as a prize, please. Thanks.

tofu
2005-Dec-04, 04:29 AM
What was Jason Gortician's purpose in putting a picture of chickens on his website and claiming it was an exploding levy?

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-04, 05:27 AM
I think it was just to watch us try to debunk the picture, just to prove how we "debunk" things with a hair trigger, and without "knowing the facts". That's my theory, at least.

Hans
2005-Dec-04, 06:29 AM
Hmmmmmmm, that was it?

I must admit I'm critical of his thinkin'

tofu
2005-Dec-05, 04:55 AM
I think it was just to watch us try to debunk the picture, just to prove how we "debunk" things with a hair trigger, and without "knowing the facts". That's my theory, at least.

So his plan was:
1) give them a fake picture so that they will say it's fake
2) ???
3) profit

wow, that guy was a real winner.

mugaliens
2005-Dec-08, 03:48 PM
I don't see any damn, much less explosions. I don't even see chickens. What is this picture of, really?

gwiz
2005-Dec-08, 04:02 PM
Click on link in OP, then scroll down.

Faultline
2005-Dec-09, 06:43 AM
Another example of how you can make any image appear like anything you want. All you have to do is enlarge (or in this case, dumb down the image) it until you start seeing big blocks of pixels.

Cl1mh4224rd
2005-Dec-09, 07:30 AM
Another example of how you can make any image appear like anything you want. All you have to do is enlarge (or in this case, dumb down the image) it until you start seeing big blocks of pixels.
And push the viewer in the desired direction...

I'd imagine most people, without context, would look at that enlarged image and go, "Huh?" Attach it to a statement about the levees being blown up and they're likely to say, "Hmm..."

mugaliens
2005-Dec-12, 02:28 AM
Click on link in OP, then scroll down.

Great! Some of the links had a poll or two that were lose-lose. No good answers, like http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/12/7/13757/8197

Used to be fronts like this were TV stations, radio, and magazine - cost a lot of money and had integrity. Now anyone with some dedication can build a decent website and those who're uneducated don't know better. They flock to the common cause, eating it up.

It's divisive.

Sam5
2005-Dec-12, 10:26 PM
I don't see any damn, much less explosions. I don't even see chickens. What is this picture of, really?

Specifically, it's a pair of white frizzles.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Friz/BRKFrizzles.html

tofu
2005-Dec-12, 10:32 PM
I don't see any damn, much

To be honest, there isn't all that damn much to see.

Welcome to the dam park. I am your dam guide. In just a moment, the dam tour will begin. Please feel free to ask as many dam questions as you like.

Count Zero
2005-Dec-14, 09:50 PM
Welcome to the dam park. I am your dam guide. In just a moment, the dam tour will begin. Please feel free to ask as many dam questions as you like.

And you can find many of them right here (http://www2.una.edu/geography/tn_web/Dams/). ;)

Eta C
2005-Dec-14, 10:20 PM

And if you cruise around the area on the Holland America cruise line you can ride one of their Dam ships (Rotterdam, Amsterdam, etc.). They actually sell t-shirts and ball caps with that phrase on them