PDA

View Full Version : Kids putting their heads in microwave ovens to get high?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Nov-26, 06:24 PM
Someone told me that apparently kids are now sticking their heads into microwave ovens to get some sort of a buzz off of it. has anyone else heard this rumour?

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 06:25 PM
I certainly haven't. o_O How the hell do you get a high off that?

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Nov-26, 06:26 PM
dunno...someone mentioned it to me at work...nothing would surprise me

OptimusShr
2005-Nov-26, 06:29 PM
I don't think COOKING your brain will get you high. In fact, I'll send this to Snopes.

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Nov-26, 06:30 PM
what's Snopes?

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 06:31 PM
http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi What I found using google

LurchGS
2005-Nov-26, 06:32 PM
I imagine it might actually work - via a rise in temperature. I know when I have a fever I feel 'high'.

And, as is common, the process of obtaining a high is insanely stupid and dangerous

trinitree88
2005-Nov-26, 06:46 PM
Heating the brain beyond ~ 106 F, usually leads to death in short order.:naughty: It denatures proteins when you heat them. The TV commercial with the hot fat in the frying pan, then the eggs in the frying pan....and they turn white, opaque, rubbery...instead of colorless, and transparent "whites", with opaque yellow yolks...is an example of a denatured protein. That's what cooking your brain will do for you. I used that specific example in my chemistry class since about 1978. All the prayers in the world will not turn your cooked eggs back to what they were...it's a classic example of an irreversible reaction. This is how the environment selects out of the gene pool....evolution in action. :doh: Ciao. Pete.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-26, 07:07 PM
exactly - though in more detail than I provided.

Doing ANYTHING to your body that doesn't need to be done is just plain stupid. Might as well juggle live handgrenades - eventually, one of them is going to go off.

(speaking as an ex-smoker and ex-drinker and current eater of way too much sugar)

Dragon Star
2005-Nov-26, 07:08 PM
:eh: This is by far the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I mean, who in the hell figured this out? And how? O_O(that is if it even works..)

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-26, 07:11 PM
On the other hand, if you heat up some kind of drug, stick your head in the microwave, and inhale, it might get you high.

Moose
2005-Nov-26, 07:42 PM
And in any case, a microwave is designed not to operate with the door open.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-26, 07:45 PM
Moose - sure, but failsafes can be defeated. I've done it any number of times on numerous hunks of equipment. They're there to prevent *accidental* activation of the device.

beskeptical
2005-Nov-26, 07:55 PM
No way. That has to be a false story. You can't turn a microwave on with the door open and despite what Lurch says, that would be some pretty sophisticated tinkering. I doubt a kid stupid enough to try such a thing would be smart enough to do such a thing.

What I find interesting is who starts these rumors? Someone has to be the first and know they are making it up. Everyone else just repeats it. We should start one that is different enough to know it came from us and then see how many places it ends up being repeated in and how fast. It would be a fun experiment.

beskeptical
2005-Nov-26, 07:56 PM
what's Snopes?Banquo, your memory is slipping. We've quoted Snopes many times on the BABB.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-26, 08:22 PM
No way. That has to be a false story. You can't turn a microwave on with the door open and despite what Lurch says, that would be some pretty sophisticated tinkering. I doubt a kid stupid enough to try such a thing would be smart enough to do such a thing.

What I find interesting is who starts these rumors? Someone has to be the first and know they are making it up. Everyone else just repeats it. We should start one that is different enough to know it came from us and then see how many places it ends up being repeated in and how fast. It would be a fun experiment.

BeSkeptical -

I don't mean to imply it would be *easy*, just doable. I admit I've never tried to disable the falesafes on a microwave, but it shouldn't be all that difficult. There is only (essentially)one way to tell if the door is open - open circuit. It's far safer to install a microswitch or two than it is to run a current through the door and latch system. The micro switch has to be in one of three places: Hinges, latch, or separate physical switch along the doorframe. Disabling them really shouldn't be all that difficult, now that I give it a few seconds of thought, since there's probably only the one.

Keep in mind, the possible users of this 'feature' probably don't care much if they damage the shell and appearance of appliance - probably don't care if the microwave works for any of its intended uses, either.

taking it even one step farther - removing the magnetron is not all that difficult, either. If there's any truth in the story at all, it's quite possible some Joe pulled the magnetron and used just that - getting high off the damage microwaves, rather than a microwave

As Adam and Jamie would say: it's plausible

Doodler
2005-Nov-26, 08:36 PM
While I too hope this is bogus, I would also like to point out that there's a REAL short trip between making something "failsafe" and "idiot proof".

Moose
2005-Nov-26, 10:02 PM
I don't mean to imply it would be *easy*, just doable. I admit I've never tried to disable the falesafes on a microwave, but it shouldn't be all that difficult.

Without Mommy and Daddy finding out about it? These are supposedly kids "huffing" their microwave on the sly.

Completely implausible.

If I were designing a microwave (with my Mad Lay Person skillz), I'd consider a design where the faraday cage had a small current though it when the microwave received the command to start, with the door physically closing the connection while closed. So long as that current exists, the microwave is safe to use.

If the current is broken, either the cage is damaged or the door is open, and thus the microwave should not fire up.

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-26, 11:42 PM
I have no idea if you could "get high" using one, but I'm sure the safety interlocks on many microwaves could be defeated. Here's a page where somebody modified a microwave oven so he could put vacuum tubes in it and tape the effects:

http://apache.airnet.com.au/~fastinfo/microwave/valve/

Check any microwave oven manual and it will warn you not to attempt to defeat the safety switches.

Darn it all. Now I'm tempted to do it, just for demonstration purposes. Back, foul temptation! Back I say!

LurchGS
2005-Nov-26, 11:48 PM
Moose - I did think about running a small current- but the possibility of somehow shocking the customer rules it out as a marketable concept, I think.

I went downstairs a bit ago and looked at my Sharp microwave. Took the cover off. found the single interlock. could, but didn't, disable it with a pair of wire cutters and a wirenut. Put the cover back on. There isn't even a 'tamper-proof seal on the outside'

Joff
2005-Nov-26, 11:51 PM
I'm inclined to support Lonewulf's interpretation of the story - that the kids put a cup of solvent (or something with a volatile solvent in it) into the microwave, heat it up, open the door and inhale the fumes.

and I'm just going to wander over to my microwave and poke around the door switch.... I may be some time...

LurchGS
2005-Nov-26, 11:56 PM
I'm inclined to support Lonewulf's interpretation of the story - that the kids put a cup of solvent (or something with a volatile solvent in it) into the microwave, heat it up, open the door and inhale the fumes.

and I'm just going to wander over to my microwave and poke around the door switch.... I may be some time...

I, too, find that feasible...

and neener neener neener, I tinkered first!

Hugh Jass
2005-Nov-27, 08:33 AM

Don't confuse ingenuity and intelligence. When it comes to figuring out ways to get high, there are a lot of resourceful idiots. Think about how often you here about kids/people doing some stupid thing in the quest to get high and the first reaction is "what kind of idiot would try something like that?" then,"How did they figure out that would get them high?"

Of course I also don't believe any one is actually doing this, it becomes believable because of previous stories about what people are willing to do to get high.

Iíve wanted to start a rumor for a while, I guess Iím either not bright enough to come up with one, or so despise those folks in my office that believe every stupid little email that comes through their inbox I canít bring myself to put any effort into it.

TrAI
2005-Nov-27, 11:14 AM
Sure, interlocks can be defeated, but the question is if it is an easy task to do so, so that it can easily be done without opening the oven. Ovens generally have three switches. The primary and secondary interlocks will open when the door is opened; these are there to prevent accidental activation when the door is opened. The third, the interlock monitor(or was it idiot monitor? :p), is a funny little thing, it will switch from the high voltage transformer primary circuit to an intentional short circuit when the door is opened, it is generally not easily defeatable without opening the oven(may be hard to locate even then), and will blow the fuse(s) on the oven if someone tries to defeat the primary and secondary interlocks while the door is open, rendering the oven inoperable and hopefully scare the person from any further attempts at operating an oven with the door open.

As for getting high... Well, I do not know if it would work, but it would probably not be a good idea to try.

genebujold
2005-Nov-27, 07:55 PM
exactly - though in more detail than I provided.

Doing ANYTHING to your body that doesn't need to be done is just plain stupid. Might as well juggle live handgrenades - eventually, one of them is going to go off.

(speaking as an ex-smoker and ex-drinker and current eater of way too much sugar)

Hmm..

Good on 'ya, Lurch. Two out of three ain't bad.

"Attack the Glucons! Man your battlestations!!!"

beskeptical
2005-Nov-27, 08:29 PM
BeSkeptical -

I don't mean to imply it would be *easy*, just doable. I admit I've never tried to disable the falesafes on a microwave, but it shouldn't be all that difficult. There is only (essentially)one way to tell if the door is open - open circuit. It's far safer to install a microswitch or two than it is to run a current through the door and latch system. The micro switch has to be in one of three places: Hinges, latch, or separate physical switch along the doorframe. Disabling them really shouldn't be all that difficult, now that I give it a few seconds of thought, since there's probably only the one.

Keep in mind, the possible users of this 'feature' probably don't care much if they damage the shell and appearance of appliance - probably don't care if the microwave works for any of its intended uses, either.

taking it even one step farther - removing the magnetron is not all that difficult, either. If there's any truth in the story at all, it's quite possible some Joe pulled the magnetron and used just that - getting high off the damage microwaves, rather than a microwave

I understood your post. My point is that such a claim is so absurd, where's our skepticism here? While disabling a microwave door latch safety might be plausible, the story is not. Unless there was some reference to an original source, I take the position that this is ** rather than it is plausible. Cite an original source and I'll start considering how the story might be plausible.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-28, 06:44 AM
I understood your post. My point is that such a claim is so absurd, where's our skepticism here? While disabling a microwave door latch safety might be plausible, the story is not. Unless there was some reference to an original source, I take the position that this is ** rather than it is plausible. Cite an original source and I'll start considering how the story might be plausible.

Hrm. y'know.. going back over it all, I'm inclined to revise my stance a little here. It's certainly POSSIBLE to defeat the interlocks, and not really all that difficult (at least, not on my microwave). But "plausible" that kids are doing it to get high? No, I doubt it.

Also, I seem to recall reading... or hearing, that microwaves will vitrify the aqueous humor of the eye - rather rapidly. Anybody have input on that?

Halcyon Dayz
2005-Nov-28, 08:45 AM
My guess would be, that putting your head in an
active microwave oven would kill you in seconds.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-28, 09:03 AM
Don't confuse ingenuity and intelligence.

And don't confuse the desire to "get high" with stupidity. After all, there was a period of time that Malcolm X was a druggie... but he proved to be a rather intelligent fellow, did he not?

beskeptical
2005-Nov-28, 09:36 AM
And don't confuse the desire to "get high" with stupidity. After all, there was a period of time that Malcolm X was a druggie... but he proved to be a rather intelligent fellow, did he not?
Yes but getting high via stupid means is different from getting high per se. I see you are responding to a different post than mine but I wanted to point out, we aren't talking about getting high necessarily, we are talking about cooking your head. Anyone could see that cooking one's head could be expected to occur if one put their head in a microwave. Maybe people are dumb enough to think the microwave would dry their dog's wet hair, but to cook your head to get high? I don't think so.

Lianachan
2005-Nov-28, 10:34 AM
I remember reading an account of the Bosnian conflict, written by one of the guys the UN were bombing. He says they used to modify microwaves, so they would operate with the door open, and put them in fields (switched on) with the doors open and pointing skywards. Apparently it was a good way to confuse many missile guidance systems, which would accidently lock onto microwave ovens rather than SAM sites. I think it worked because of the sheer number of microwave ovens used (if, indeed, it really worked at all).

genebujold
2005-Nov-28, 05:23 PM

It's actually just a simple contact switch. I just defeated mine with a pencil.

But I also put the microwave set on it's lowest setting for one second (the magnetron does not engage when it's set for less than about three seconds - I verified that one with the door closed, first!).

Still, definately a very stupid thing for people to put their head in it while it's on. There will be "hot spots," and in addition to overcooking portions of the brain, you might cloud an eyeball, cause permanent blindness, hearing losses...

Definately in the "really stupid" category.

LurchGS
2005-Nov-28, 09:51 PM
eh? you say sumfin, sonny?

Beskptical - I think the base proposition here is that of doing something stupid to get high. Emotional and other self-induced highs are one thing, but (this is my opinion) if you deliberately do something to your body to achieve some desired 'high', it's by definition stupid*. Not only are you inflicting unneeded damage on your body, you are retreating from the real world and doing nothing at all to solve your problems.

I could run NO3 in my car to make it run/accellerate faster - but I'd burn up the engine in relatively short order.

* excluding licensed, appropriate, medical treatment

genebujold
2005-Nov-28, 11:55 PM
Oh, I dunno. There's always the "runner's high," which, I must admit, for me these days translates into the "hiker's high."

beskeptical
2005-Nov-29, 12:14 AM
eh? you say sumfin, sonny?

Beskptical - I think the base proposition here is that of doing something stupid to get high. Emotional and other self-induced highs are one thing, but (this is my opinion) if you deliberately do something to your body to achieve some desired 'high', it's by definition stupid*. Not only are you inflicting unneeded damage on your body, you are retreating from the real world and doing nothing at all to solve your problems.

I could run NO3 in my car to make it run/accellerate faster - but I'd burn up the engine in relatively short order.

* excluding licensed, appropriate, medical treatmentDefine "get high"? Is a glass of wine after dinner just for the taste? Is an antidepressant a mind altering substance? Your position seems a bit judgmental.

I don't recommend any one get high for the sake of the buzz. But I'm not sure all of it is bad for one's health.

To clarify my position here, all I've said is, I take the position the story is fake unless some other documentation is provided. It seems some folks here are taking the position the story is plausible on it's own merit. I'm more skeptical than that.

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-29, 12:24 AM
Oh, I dunno. There's always the "runner's high," which, I must admit, for me these days translates into the "hiker's high."

And the "Adrenaline High".

Gillianren
2005-Nov-29, 12:27 AM
Speaking as someone on a medically approved chemical substance designed to alter brain chemistry, it's definitely not a high. If anything, it's a low--my boyfriend claims to see a difference in my depression level lately, which is a good thing, but then there's the dry mouth (which seems to have eased), the nausea (ditto), the changes in sleep pattern, and according to Newsweek, 60% of people on the class of drugs into which mine falls have negative sexual side effects. However, my shrink strongly suspects one of his patients (no, he didn't say who; I happened to overhear the phone call with the patient in question) to be selling his meds. Gods alone know to whom, of course.

OptimusShr
2005-Nov-29, 04:00 AM
To clarify my position here, all I've said is, I take the position the story is fake unless some other documentation is provided. It seems some folks here are taking the position the story is plausible on it's own merit. I'm more skeptical than that.

Plausible: Seemingly or apparently valid, likely, or acceptable; credible: a plausible excuse

Emphasis Mine.

All we are saying is that is is possible someone has tried to do this and that a microwave can be rigged to work without the door being closed. Whether it has ACTUALLY happened or not is up for debate.

weezingfrog
2005-Nov-29, 05:10 AM
Well, maybe I'll try it for scietific reasons.

*Ten minutes later....

Sooooo good!:lol:

beskeptical
2005-Nov-29, 09:05 AM
Emphasis Mine.

All we are saying is that is is possible someone has tried to do this and that a microwave can be rigged to work without the door being closed. Whether it has ACTUALLY happened or not is up for debate.Shall we debate whether it's possible there are pink unicorns in my backyard as well?

beskeptical
2005-Nov-29, 09:09 AM
Someone told me that apparently kids are now sticking their heads into microwave ovens to get some sort of a buzz off of it. has anyone else heard this rumour?Getting back to this post, who told you that Banquo, where did they hear it, and, has anyone in this thread said they also heard it and if so, where did they hear it? Perhaps instead of thinking of ways it could happen we might start with where the story began and is there even a spec of truth here?

Someone told me they know someone who has a pink unicorn in their backyard. Has anyone else heard that rumor?

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-29, 09:36 AM
Someone told me they know someone who has a pink unicorn in their backyard. Has anyone else heard that rumor?

I think Mak mentioned it once, and I talk about the elf. Still, while I would give the microwave story a very low probability, well into the urban legend range, I'd put it slightly higher than a pink unicorn. It is unwise to ignore the possibility of ingenious stupidity. Someone just might try it.

sarongsong
2005-Nov-29, 10:17 AM
One thing (http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/news/teens_choking_for_a_rush.htm) they are trying...guaranteed to leave them stupid or worse.

farmerjumperdon
2005-Nov-29, 03:01 PM
If the latch on the door is the safety, all yu'd have to do is stick something in the latch receiver to fool the machine into thinking the door is closed. Doesn't have to be perfect, just turn on the microwave the normal way, pop open the door (with some time remaining on the timer), and poke around inside the latch receiving mechanism until the thing kicks in again. Kind of like what you can do to override the door open mechanism on most washers. You just stick a pencil in that little latch receiver hole and it'll spin with the top open.

BTW, anybody else ever microwave a CD? Looks like the disc-shaped part of the Enterprise when it gets hit by enemy fire with the shields up.

beskeptical
2005-Nov-30, 08:48 AM
I think Mak mentioned it once, and I talk about the elf. Still, while I would give the microwave story a very low probability, well into the urban legend range, I'd put it slightly higher than a pink unicorn. It is unwise to ignore the possibility of ingenious stupidity. Someone just might try it.google: microwave to get high (http://www.google.com/search?q=microwave+to+get+high&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official)

So you wanna get high? (http://www.thesite.org.uk/drinkanddrugs/drugsafety/drugsandyourbody/soyouwannagethigh)

google: kids microwave head (http://www.google.com/search?hs=9cg&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=kids+microwave+head&btnG=Search)

google news: kids microwave head (http://news.google.com/news?hs=9cg&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=kids%20microwave%20head&btnG=Search&sa=N&tab=wn)

So find one single citation that gives any credibility to this story if you put it above the level of pink unicorns.

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-30, 10:50 AM
So find one single citation that gives any credibility to this story if you put it above the level of pink unicorns.

*sigh* Citations aren't the issue. The fact that it is undeniably possible for a person to put their head in a running, modified microwave oven makes it slightly more credible than a pink unicorn - unless you've seen one? As I thought I made clear, I don't take it at all seriously, but ... pink unicorns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_pink_unicorn)? :)

beskeptical
2005-Nov-30, 11:16 AM
*sigh* Citations aren't the issue. The fact that it is undeniably possible for a person to put their head in a running, modified microwave oven makes it slightly more credible than a pink unicorn - unless you've seen one? As I thought I made clear, I don't take it at all seriously, but ... pink unicorns (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_pink_unicorn)? :)Well we are going round and round now. I understand your point. I wonder though why we should consider a baseless declaration. It isn't a citation I'm looking for as in some research. It's some indication there is anything here other than a declaration. (No offense intended, Banquo.)

I declare kids are performing bowel surgery on themselves to lose weight.

I declare kids are cutting off their feet to get out of class.

I heard Marilyn Manson is really 12 different people that all sort of look alike.

It could be true, heck. The fact I am just making this stuff up on the spot (not saying whether Banquo made it up or his friend did or his friend's friend...) shouldn't matter.

Am I the only one who thinks this is just some totally made up claim that never was based on any fact or event whatsoever?

Laminal Cockroach
2005-Nov-30, 11:26 AM
So the pink unicorn is actually invisible and pink at the same time!! :think:

captain swoop
2005-Nov-30, 12:52 PM
No. it's colour is 'Invisible Pink'

Hugh Jass
2005-Nov-30, 06:50 PM
I have a pink Unicorn in my back yard. We also gave a pink Unicorn as a birthday present a month ago. They are certainly not rare, in certain areas of the toy store those little things are everywhere.

Of course the head in the microwave is totally made up, especially the way it was written,, “kids are doing this…” like it is wide spread epidemic. This goes right to that thread about why do people believe weird things. Well why? I don’t know but I’ll tell you there are a couple folks in my office that EVERYTHING that comes through their inbox is immediately believed and re-spread far and wide, much more devastating effects than just a fire cracker in fresh stuff, they are super effective spreaders. This is believable to anyone that looks at glue sniffing, paint huffing, self choking, injecting yourself between the toes, and says “ohmygawd!! Who would do that, and why!”
Why some one would make up a story like this is beyond me, but why any one makes up any of the stories that make their way from inbox to inbox is beyond me. Some of the true stuff out there is cool enough for me.

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-30, 09:58 PM
I have a pink Unicorn in my back yard. We also gave a pink Unicorn as a birthday present a month ago. They are certainly not rare, in certain areas of the toy store those little things are everywhere.

Fair point. I was thinking of living pink unicorns. Certainly your type is more plausible than this story.

And, certainly, I think this is a weak urban legend. But given the number of really stupid things I've seen people try, it isn't the sort of thing I would rule out before doing a little research (yes, I did google it when I first read this thread a few days ago).

Superluminal
2005-Dec-01, 02:44 AM
Whether it is true or not, the idea is now out there. How long before someone tries it? Still plenty of Darwin Award candidates out there.

beskeptical
2005-Dec-01, 07:51 AM
Whether it is true or not, the idea is now out there. How long before someone tries it? Still plenty of Darwin Award candidates out there.I have to laugh at this thread now. Let's say for the sake of the argument it started with a bogus claim. [Ignore any debate about whether it was or wasn't bogus for the moment.] Then people went on to try to figure out how the bogus claim could be real. And now it has progressed to actually being real with the claim that now that someone mentioned it someone else will surely try it.

The whole thing is absurd from start to finish. If I started a discussion that Draino gets you high do you really think the mere fact it was posted will make someone believe it and try it? So does it follow that had I not posted it would not been tried?

It's beginning to sound so delusional. Mustn't think it, mustn't think it...Oh no, I thought it, now it will happen!

Am I the only one here that thinks we should not accept each and every statement someone makes as part of our reality? No wonder there are so many myths out there that so many people believe. I'm trying to find an ounce of skepticism here besides my own. Make that a nanogram of skepticism. It's as if it is unacceptable to question the original statement.

Wouldn't an open mind give just as much weight to the claim being false as the weight given to finding it to be plausible? I looked for evidence there had even been a single event as described and found no record. While there are plenty of times the notion that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, there are also times where, with no evidence at all, investigating an hypothesis just makes no sense whatsoever. It's akin to looking for invisible pink unicorns as the cause of strange holes you never saw but that might have been in the backyard before someone filled them in.

Maksutov
2005-Dec-01, 08:23 AM
Just because you can't see my IPU doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Then there are those patches in my lawn where the grass is growing luxuriantly long, with a slight pinkish tinge. Too bad they're invisible.

CD in the microwave. One second at full power. Guaranteed to securely destroy any data residing therein. Surprised Parisian designers haven't used the end result as earrings. Don't go for longer, the smell is bad and persistent, plus it's not good for the magnetron.

Got no problem with kids putting their heads in microwaves, as long as they didn't reproduce before doing so...

Superluminal
2005-Dec-02, 04:50 AM
Sticking something in your mouth, setting it on fire and sucking on it don't make much sense. Yet millions of people do it everyday. A few seconds in the microwave, well won't get lung cancer.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-02, 04:59 AM
Putting your head in the microwave is not comparable to cigarettes. Cigarettes have long-term effects, and are considered "okay" by mainstream society (in that mainstream society considers cigarettes legal). While not necesarily "healthy", and even deadly, it takes a very very long time for the effects to kick in, especially if you aren't a chain smoker.

Sticking your head in the microwave is not only extremely stupid, not only requires some technological tinkering (though not necessarily too much, I admit), and not only considered completely and utterly stupid by the rest of the world, but I don't really see how it would make someone high. Plus, everyone with half a brain would see immediately that it would be EXTREMELY dangerous, and VERY deadly. I mean, when I think about doing it, I totally wince; I do NOT wince when I think about injecting drugs, smoking marijuana, or using acid. Nor do I really wince when I imagine getting high by asphyxiation; I see the stupidity behind it, but I also see the reason why some youngsters think, "I'll only do it a few times; I'll be careful; I won't end up negatively effected for life". I can't see that with sticking your head in the frikkin' microwave. It's just illogical, even if you take the "stupidity of kids today".

Plus, google yields no results on talking about it; so it's not an issue amongst parents, and there's no websites telling kids how to tinker with their microwave to "get high". I'd think that if this was an option, there would be at least ONE webpage talking about it somewhere out there.

So I'm extremely skeptical about this, and would write it off as an Urban Legend based on not only the facts presented (which are very few; "Kids are stupid" and "it's possible"), and the facts not represented (No information on google).

beskeptical
2005-Dec-02, 10:29 AM
Just because you can't see my IPU doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Then there are those patches in my lawn where the grass is growing luxuriantly long, with a slight pinkish tinge. Too bad they're invisible.

CD in the microwave. One second at full power. Guaranteed to securely destroy any data residing therein. Surprised Parisian designers haven't used the end result as earrings. Don't go for longer, the smell is bad and persistent, plus it's not good for the magnetron.

Got no problem with kids putting their heads in microwaves, as long as they didn't reproduce before doing so...Your IPU has her own website. (http://www.palmyra.demon.co.uk/humour/ipu.htm) Quite popular she is.

beskeptical
2005-Dec-02, 10:33 AM
I think most kids understand what ovens do. How many kids would stick their heads in a conventional oven? Not too many I would think. I think most kids would have an aversion to burning themselves, (psych kids who inflict self wounds excepted). A kid might play chicken with a lit cigarette on the arm but cooking one's head just isn't very 'tryable'.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-02, 04:14 PM
I think most kids understand what ovens do. How many kids would stick their heads in a conventional oven? Not too many I would think. I think most kids would have an aversion to burning themselves, (psych kids who inflict self wounds excepted). A kid might play chicken with a lit cigarette on the arm but cooking one's head just isn't very 'tryable'.

I went through a period where I almost became a cutter (usually when I was angry, I would feel like taking a knife to my arm). I also was friends with a person who had a depression disorder; he cut himself a lot through life, and fought hard almost daily to not commit a suicide.

Somehow microwave ovens never came to mind for either of us.

Also, I think you misspelled "psycho", because that's what I assume you meant by "psych kids".

beskeptical
2005-Dec-02, 07:33 PM
Also, I think you misspelled "psycho", because that's what I assume you meant by "psych kids".No, I meant the kids who have true psychiatric problems like the cutters you mention.

mickal555
2005-Dec-02, 07:48 PM
BeSkeptical -

Actually I dought it- this is kids- their parents would notice a wrecked microwave oven. And if they had no parents they could get acess to better drugs I'll bet.

What kind of high do you get from sticking your head in a microwave???

It would cook why not stick your head in a power point(toaster) or an oven?

This is a busted myth on the point of practibility. I mean C'mon...

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-02, 08:01 PM
It's a busted myth based on practicality nad lack of anything to show for it. C'mon guys, just because kids can be stupid doesn't automatically mean that they're doing this.

mickal555
2005-Dec-02, 08:08 PM
It's a busted myth based on practicality nad lack of anything to show for it. C'mon guys, just because kids can be stupid doesn't automatically mean that they're doing this.

Yeah- I only just finished the whole (long*) thread....

It's just completly outta the question...

I'm sure someone has done it(someone has done just about every stupid thing possible) but not more than once!

*IMO It's amazing that it reached four pages... thanks to me :wall:

Demigrog
2005-Dec-02, 10:06 PM
This reminds me of huffing canned aerosols-- an absolutely moronic way to try to get high. I remember standing at the checkout line of a local Radio Shack once, and watched as two kids bought six cans of compressed gas, then hurried out of the store. I was sickened, and asked the clerk if he realized what the kids had bought the stuff for; the clerk didn't seem to care. I tried to follow the kids, but lost them in the busy mall.

If kids are stupid enough to inhale canned aerosols to intentionally asphyxiate themselves, the microwave thing isn't so far fetched. Sadly, if this myth is really widespread, no doubt somebody will try it eventually. I doubt the average kid has any clue how a microwave oven works or how sensitive their brain would be to one.

I don't think it has actually been tried yet, as a quick Google search didn't turn up any reported deaths--and that would be front page in the "odd news" section. Of course, it might have been tried and simply mis-interpreted as suicide (didn't find any "suicide by microwave oven" news reports either, though).

Benny7
2007-Feb-17, 09:33 PM
Yes Its possible!!! as a teen about 15 years ago some of my friends did that stupid thing in front of me!!!....

Yes they wanted to get a buzz out of it but they didn't get a buzz!!
They use a pen to get by the protection mechanism, I remember the one that started that among them he was so stupidly proud to show how it was so easy to get by the mechanism, with the pen inserted in the protection mechanism, firstly he putted his hand in the microwave working: ,and said to me ''Hey man!! its not painful...'',after he putted is head inside for a 5 minutes or so...no buzz he said!!! I found that so stupid...After that he challenged all four of us to do the same, as him...but to stick our head the longest as we could support! I didn’t accept that challenge, but two them tried it ,they did it for about 15 minutes each, so stupid! They didn't get a buzz as they said!!....

I remember that in the month that passed after ,one of them called me and was so proud that he did that stupid thing for an hour or so...

And you know what, that guy today he's almost vedge...He did a lot of drug abuse ALSO...but that microwave thing caused him damage... d'ont know how much...didn't help him for sure....

I think its to much easy to get by the protection mechanism of a microwave, company should make them more secure.

trinitree88
2007-Feb-17, 10:47 PM
Maybe if we start the rumor that putting your gonads in the microwave will give you a much better effect, we'll at least reduce the incidence of these genes being propagated throughout the human genome ...sigh...:shifty:

SolusLupus
2007-Feb-17, 11:03 PM
Yes Its possible!!! as a teen about 15 years ago some of my friends did that stupid thing in front of me!!!....

Yes they wanted to get a buzz out of it but they didn't get a buzz!!
They use a pen to get by the protection mechanism, I remember the one that started that among them he was so stupidly proud to show how it was so easy to get by the mechanism, with the pen inserted in the protection mechanism, firstly he putted his hand in the microwave working: ,and said to me ''Hey man!! its not painful...'',after he putted is head inside for a 5 minutes or so...no buzz he said!!! I found that so stupid...After that he challenged all four of us to do the same, as him...but to stick our head the longest as we could support! I didnít accept that challenge, but two them tried it ,they did it for about 15 minutes each, so stupid! They didn't get a buzz as they said!!....

I remember that in the month that passed after ,one of them called me and was so proud that he did that stupid thing for an hour or so...

And you know what, that guy today he's almost vedge...He did a lot of drug abuse ALSO...but that microwave thing caused him damage... d'ont know how much...didn't help him for sure....

I think its to much easy to get by the protection mechanism of a microwave, company should make them more secure.

Well, I'll be ...

Myth confirmed.

Faith in humanity lost.

SockMonkey
2007-Feb-18, 12:58 AM
Hrm. y'know.. going back over it all, I'm inclined to revise my stance a little here. It's certainly POSSIBLE to defeat the interlocks, and not really all that difficult (at least, not on my microwave). But "plausible" that kids are doing it to get high? No, I doubt it.

Also, I seem to recall reading... or hearing, that microwaves will vitrify the aqueous humor of the eye - rather rapidly. Anybody have input on that?

I've heard that as well, allthough I can't recall where. As I understand it, you would go blind almost instantly. While there are people out there dense enough to have tried it, the fact that no blindness was reported suggests that they didn't actually get the microwave to work with the door open. :eh:

clop
2007-Feb-18, 01:41 AM
Instead of guessing, let's do a bit of maths.

The average mass of a human head is 5kg. Let's assume the head is made of water. That's 5,000 grams of water.

The specific heat capacity of water is 4.18 joules per gram per kelvin.

Raising 5,000 grams of water by 1 kelvin (or 1 degree celsius) requires 20,900 joules.

My microwave oven is 600W, which is 600 joules per second.

Assuming 100% efficiency, it would take 35 seconds to raise the temperature of my head by 1 kelvin (1 degree celsius).

To raise it from normal body temperature 98.6F (37.0C) to the previously-mentioned protein-denaturing temperature of 106F (41.1C) would take 2 minutes and 23 seconds on the highest setting.

I'm guessing however that four issues will spoil my calculations.

1 The microwaves won't penetrate the head very far, so the outside of the head is likely to heat up much faster than the inside of the head.

2 The head won't be rotating in the microwave oven, so it won't be heated evenly. This is going to concentrate the heating effect to certain hotspots on the outside of the head.

3 Copious blood flow through the head is going to remove a lot of the heat and greatly slow down the heating process.

4 The microwave oven won't be 100% efficient, so the actual energy available to heat the head would be lower than 600W.

Considering the anatomy of the human head, I don't think the brain is going to be in much danger. I think the nose and ears would heat up painfully quickly and the person would remove their head from the oven. Whether this gives them time to damage their eyes is questionable.

clop

Extravoice
2007-Feb-18, 01:51 AM
I've heard that as well, allthough I can't recall where. As I understand it, you would go blind almost instantly. While there are people out there dense enough to have tried it, the fact that no blindness was reported suggests that they didn't actually get the microwave to work with the door open. :eh:

I don't know about "instantly," but back in the old days I took a class in mcirowave theory. The lab instructor said that the two parts of the human body that were most easily damaged by microwaves were the eyes and testes. He said something about them being easily damaged by heat. He went on to tell us that if we learned nothing else from in the class, we should remember to "Never look down the waveguide!" Those of us who had testes were on our own to figure out how to protect our them.

I'd think that a few minutes in a microwave oven would do some serious eye damage.

TrAI
2007-Feb-18, 02:22 AM

Hmmm... it seems very unlikely that anyone could hold their head in an active microwave oven that long, and feel nothing... It is much more likely that there was more than one interlock that had to be engaged before the magnetron was powered, and they missed some. My guess is that they pretty much just put their head in a box with a light and a fan...

mickal555
2007-Feb-18, 06:09 AM
Hmmm... it seems very unlikely that anyone could hold their head in an active microwave oven that long, and feel nothing... It is much more likely that there was more than one interlock that had to be engaged before the magnetron was powered, and they missed some. My guess is that they pretty much just put their head in a box with a light and a fan...

I agree, it would've cooked them.

My microwave sometimes 'turns on' but it's only cause one of the door mechinisms gets stuck, nothing actuay cooks in this state- its all lights and fans.

Whirlpool
2007-Feb-19, 09:38 AM
From where is the information originated?

Does it says that the microwave is turned "ON" or its "OFF"? :D

I can say that after long hours of working using the computer , you acquire some electro static discharge in your body , thus sometimes when accumulates its sparks when you touch someone or something.

That is a "high".

But in a microwave...... ? :think:

Neverfly
2007-Feb-19, 10:04 AM
Working Long hours in front of the computer may result in the Following side effects:

Loss of Sleep
Drooling
Red eyes
extreme aggrevation
frustration
mind numbing and mind zonking
shameless flirting

These kids are probably safer using the microwave....:p It's almost as bad as TV

Whirlpool
2007-Feb-19, 11:31 AM
You sure didnt have a lot of sleep there to have those side effects. :D

boppa
2007-Feb-19, 11:41 AM

actually its pretty easy(match normally does it)

and it has been known to happen that the safety catches are bypassed.
electronics australia had a story about a resturant that had done it so they didn't have to push the start button again to start it cooking again while they were stirring whatever was cooking. It was discovered because of the intense tvi they caused to the nextdoor neighbours tv!!!!

igethigh
2007-Dec-30, 03:01 AM
Oh please.. I have put my head in a microwave and recieved residual waves aftera childhood experiment trying to vapourise and dry wet skunk. I opened the door and shoved my head in there and inhaled as deep as I could.... and YES I GOT HIGH, my vision closed like an old television and I
I was still conscious and mentally fuctioning, but according to my friends it looked like I as having a fit.. I have no regrets and it was a very memorable experience........ for me and my freinds alike!

Neverfly
2007-Dec-30, 05:21 AM
Oh please.. I have put my head in a microwave and recieved residual waves aftera childhood experiment trying to vapourise and dry wet skunk. I opened the door and shoved my head in there and inhaled as deep as I could.... and YES I GOT HIGH, my vision closed like an old television and I
I was still conscious and mentally fuctioning, but according to my friends it looked like I as having a fit.. I have no regrets and it was a very memorable experience........ for me and my freinds alike!

Ok, so you got high on a Wet Vaporized Skunk?:neutral:

Noclevername
2007-Dec-30, 05:25 AM
It's just like anything else; the companies like to put on a good show for the masses. "Hey, for every dollar you spend on ___, a penny goes to the Mittens and Shoes for Amputees foundation!"

mugaliens
2007-Dec-30, 07:01 AM
On the other hand, if you heat up some kind of drug, stick your head in the microwave, and inhale, it might get you high.

I'd rather throw the drug in the microwave, close the door, and nuke the drug into nonexistence while I stand on my balcony getting high from the fresh mountain air and sunshine.

Van Rijn
2007-Dec-30, 07:11 AM
Ok, so you got high on a Wet Vaporized Skunk?:neutral:

It would be more popular with the kids, except for the fact that it is pretty hard to hide a skunk vapor habit.

Neverfly
2007-Dec-30, 07:15 AM
I'd rather throw the drug in the microwave, close the door, and nuke the drug into nonexistence while I stand on my balcony getting high from the fresh mountain air and sunshine.

AGREED!

It would be more popular with the kids, except for the fact that it is pretty hard to hide a skunk vapor habit.

I recall a drug referred to as 'skunk'...:think:

mickal555
2007-Dec-30, 07:26 AM

wat

Neverfly
2007-Dec-30, 08:10 AM
wat

Well, in all seriousness... I don't think he's referring to the animal skunk- so the whole story explains itself.

Probably a google hit on a search that inspired him to register just to tell that story in relation to his 'microwave high.'

WaxRubiks
2007-Dec-30, 09:38 AM
yes, skunk is a form of marijuana- a block of resin I think.

it is apparently much stronger than the stuff they had in the sixties, and potentially more dangerous.

Putting it in the microwave, to vapourise it, and then inhaling the vapour, would lead to some kind of drug effect, probably.

Vaelroth
2007-Dec-30, 05:11 PM
Skunk is a term used very loosely, typically referring to any marijuana with a strong scent. Skunk isn't the dirtweed that grows on the side of the road, its the stuff thats been bred and bred and bred by growers to be exceptionally strong. If you were to put it in a microwave, it will heat the buds to the point where the THC will be vaporized into the air and you could inhale it. I'm sure it would take a lot of practice to get the temperature just right though.

Gillianren
2007-Dec-30, 07:35 PM
Either way, it's still not the experience under discussion. And I have to say, I want better confirmation than just someone posting here and saying, "Yeah, I did it, and it's cool." Anyone could say that. I could say that, though I wouldn't advise believing me if I did.

g0pher
2007-Dec-30, 10:48 PM
kids sure are creative :) between this and jenkem the future of drugs might actually come to a screeching stop lol.

Donnie B.
2007-Dec-31, 12:30 AM
I liked his "residual waves".

Last night I got out of bed to flip off the overhead light, then tucked myself back in while the room was still lit by the residual waves.

metatron
2007-Dec-31, 02:54 AM
The microwaves don't penetrate very far, the surface can be cooking, while the interior is cold. If anyone stuck their head in a microwave, their scin would be cooked before anything else started happening.

I think this is an urban legend.

Neverfly
2007-Dec-31, 03:53 AM
The microwaves don't penetrate very far, the surface can be cooking, while the interior is cold. If anyone stuck their head in a microwave, their scin would be cooked before anything else started happening.

I think this is an urban legend.

Firstly, we need to figure out if there is anything inside the skull to be cooked in the first place.

g0pher
2007-Dec-31, 05:31 PM
yes, skunk is a form of marijuana- a block of resin I think.

it is apparently much stronger than the stuff they had in the sixties, and potentially more dangerous.

Putting it in the microwave, to vapourise it, and then inhaling the vapour, would lead to some kind of drug effect, probably.

thc as with most cannabanoids needs to be decarboxylated before it's in an active state for getting a user high. placing marijuana or hash (pressed kief) in a microwave would essentially do nothing other than burst the trichomes and leave you w/ something that had less desireable (if any) effects at all. the same goes for drying :-)

skunk is usually just a phrase people will use to describe the quality of the marijuana. however, there is a strain with a specific genetic background that is referred to as skunk as well. who knows...

as far as it being dangerous, smoking anything is dangerous. oral consumption however has no horrible effects on the human body other than the psychological effects (and maybe a increased heartbeat) which could warn off most people. even older myths of damaged braincells have been debunked w/ the new discoveries of cannabanoids and their neuroprotective nature :)

i'm in no way supporting or trying to influence anyone in to using the drug... but i do feel correct information should be relayed to anyone that is going to be reading it.

i probably seem like 1 big ol' pot head now http://smiliesftw.com/x/420.gif