PDA

View Full Version : Space Above and Beyond

Charly
2005-Nov-27, 12:02 AM
Great, underrated series available now on DVD region one.

Anyone notice when you load up the first disk, there is Earths last best hope for peace sitting in the background.

Fox using WBs interllectual property?

James_Digriz
2005-Nov-27, 01:16 AM
Great, underrated series available now on DVD region one.

I agree. Was bummed out when it got cancelled right when they were getting to the answers of the aliens.

I liked the Chiggi-Von-Richtoven Arc.

That episode where that one guy thought everyone had died and then they were going to operate on him was a powerfull one.

Roy Batty
2005-Nov-27, 03:42 PM
Loved it, couldn't believe it ended where it did. Nice 'replicant' angle to it as well :cool:
Will definitely be getting the DVDs at some point.

James_Digriz
2005-Nov-28, 04:43 AM
Loved it, couldn't believe it ended where it did. Nice 'replicant' angle to it as well
Will definitely be getting the DVDs at some point.

Yes. It was just getting interesting. Does anybody have it yet? Maby there are un-aired episodes like there is on the Firefly DVD collection.

Im really bummed that show got cancelled. Best Sci-Fi series ever.

erisi236
2005-Nov-29, 06:58 PM
I agree. Was bummed out when it got cancelled right when they were getting to the answers of the aliens.

I liked the Chiggi-Von-Richtoven Arc.

That episode where that one guy thought everyone had died and then they were going to operate on him was a powerfull one.

Agreed, that alien ship was pretty cool.

WHarris
2005-Nov-29, 09:32 PM
Yes. It was just getting interesting. Does anybody have it yet? Maby there are un-aired episodes like there is on the Firefly DVD collection.

There were no un-aired episodes, AFAIK. They were able to complete their first (only!) season.

Jason Thompson
2005-Nov-30, 12:46 PM
I enjoyed Space Above And Beyond when it was shown here on BBC2. I must have thought quite highly of it because I still remember lots of it. I thought the Christmas truce episode was odd, and I liked the episode where Hawk was on a solo mission. It had virtually no dialogue, and was a great example of the power of television to carry drama in the purely visual sense.

They crammed it so full as well. Not only did we have a new crew coming to know, respect and eventually like one another as they battled against an alien menace, but we had the odd internal tensions of the discrimination against the 'in vitros' and the gambling androids as well, not to mention the ongoing quest of Nathan West to find his girlfriend, missing since the aliens attacked the colony ship she was selected for. I missed the last half of the series, as I think it got shuffled in the schedules into a real graveyard slot and I was no longer able to see it. Very good though.

Although, I do seem to recall a bit of bad astronomy in the first episode, when the crew are on Mars and there is a truly enormous phobos in the sky.

mjparme
2005-Dec-01, 05:05 PM
FOX has a track record of cancelling good Sci-Fi shows. They never keep one on the air more than a season. Makes you wonder why they even try Sci-Fi if they are just going to cancel it.

Charly
2005-Dec-02, 11:41 PM
The only thing that winds me up is why the send their ace fighter pilots out on ground missions.

A good pilot is worth 100 grunts.

James_Digriz
2005-Dec-03, 12:02 AM
The only thing that winds me up is why the send their ace fighter pilots out on ground missions.

Same reason they sent Captain Kirk and the rest of the Command crew on away missions.

Laurie
2005-Dec-03, 07:48 AM
Yes, I thought that series was pretty good too. Intense, and had alot of good storywriting.

novaderrik
2005-Dec-03, 08:24 AM
Fox airs good Sci Fi series and cancels them after a season so they can build up a hardcore fanbase that will buy the DVD's when they come out. they cancel the show before it gets tired, and people think it was the greatest show ever made and that it had such promise.
that being said, i vaguely remember the show- i think i saw an episode or 2 but i can't remember anything specific about it. so i can't say if it's good or bad.
but i know how Fox is about selling DVD's of their shows since Family Guy made them so much money 2 years after it was cancelled- and the new episodes of that show are already coming out on DVD.

Daniel H.
2005-Dec-03, 07:13 PM
How many episodes did the series have anyways? Fox kept shuffling the show around and taking it off the air for weeks at a time. It made it kind of hard to keep track of things.

Krel
2005-Dec-04, 01:46 AM

Because it is really hard to do a war show without ground pounders. More interesting too with grunts than watching a bunch of people just sitting in seats.

Right up until the moment you need to take some ground, save some people, or take an installation.

James Digriz, Kirk and company didn't go on andy pansy 'away missions', they went on landing parties, or boarding parties. Actually that does sound kind of pansy, doesn't it?

David.

Llucien
2005-Dec-08, 03:10 PM

It really was quite dumb. The skillset needed for each is quite different. Also the required talent to be a decent fighter pilot would be much rarer than what it takes to be a grunt. So you would never want to intentionally waste a resource like skilled pilots on dirt duty when you could use dozens of less valuable and more easily replaced infantrymen.

James_Digriz
2005-Dec-09, 01:35 AM
Guys, guys (or girls), I already expalined it: Same reason they sent Kirk and Picard off the ship to get shot at. Your complicating it.

They did try to fix it in STNG. No, no don't send the Captain. Send the FO and Chief Medical Officer. Oh, that makes it all better then.