PDA

View Full Version : Why lock a thread?

genebujold
2005-Nov-28, 09:27 PM
Ban those who pollute it, but please keep the threads open. "Contention is the spark of debate, which leads to desperation, then insight, invention, and ultimately a better world." Why stop progress?

LurchGS
2005-Nov-28, 09:33 PM
Gene - it seems to me that at least some of the threads I've seen locked were inappropriate per the rules of use here. Explicitly started to rail at some political thingummy or toast some religion...

Though, in fairness, I've seen a fair number that *I* don't think fall into that category.. of course, if I weren't such a nice guy, I'd LOVE to get into bloody busted knuckle fights about religion :)

genebujold
2005-Nov-28, 10:00 PM
I agree, LurchGS - I've seen it myself. But the offending party wasn't the thread itself (the topic itself which was right in line with the rules) but one, sometimes two posters in the thread who were prolifically violating the rules.

I hold that the best course of action would have been to ban the posters and thus restore the thread, rather than simply locking the thread.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-28, 10:06 PM
Well, I suppose that the argument is that the thread becomes tainted. All discussion from then on would focus on the banned posters, the things they brought up, or the general unpleasantness that resulted.

Dragon Star
2005-Nov-28, 10:11 PM
they also close if a mod has too much content that would need to be edited. I agree that some threads should stay open, but I also agree that some should be closed, either way we have no control over it so deal with it, it ain't going to kill ya!:D

George
2005-Nov-28, 10:17 PM
I like decorum for the forum. :) Dehydrated cow dung may seem fun if flung, but it should not be considered a legitimate spice for any recipe here.

[I do confess to putting firecrackers in fresh cow patties, though it greatly diminished my reputation with my female cousins/victims. :(]

Disinfo Agent
2005-Nov-28, 11:14 PM
Well, I suppose that the argument is that the thread becomes tainted. All discussion from then on would focus on the banned posters, the things they brought up, or the general unpleasantness that resulted.I agree.
Sometimes, there comes a time when the discussion has so wandered into off-topic issues, or degenerated into repetitiveness (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=2944&page=46&highlight=locked) or plain ad hominems (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=9637&page=4&highlight=polite), that it's simpler to just lock the thread and invite everyone to go out for some fresh air.
Besides, locking a thread can be a form of punishment (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=13994&page=5&highlight=polite).

genebujold
2005-Nov-28, 11:30 PM
I like decorum for the forum. :) Dehydrated cow dung may seem fun if flung, but it should not be considered a legitimate spice for any recipe here.

[I do confess to putting firecrackers in fresh cow patties, though it greatly diminished my reputation with my female cousins/victims. :(]

You, LurchGS and I should talk. Deydrated cow dung is a principal export from the great state of Colorado! Has been for years. In a variety of art forms, too, available at nearly ever rest stop between Kansas City and Las Vegas.

With respect to items of a more explosive nature, fresh is the best. The additional weight not only aids in the absorbtion of the explosive charge, but the vastly improved adhesion usually results in a more contained explosion.

Safer!

sarongsong
2005-Nov-28, 11:47 PM
I like decorum for the forum...Yes, and leaving Locked Threads on the Forum (as far as I know---have any been totally erased?) allow us to see them and where they went off-track, in the event the info proves useful for follow-up on one's own.

Disinfo Agent
2005-Nov-28, 11:52 PM
Only spam and totally-off-topic-from-the-get-go threads seem to get deleted. Perhaps multiple postings on different forums, too. Oh, and when the BA does some housecleaning (http://www.bautforum.com/showthread.php?t=17842&highlight=pruning).

George
2005-Nov-29, 12:16 AM
You, LurchGS and I should talk. Deydrated cow dung is a principal export from the great state of Colorado! Has been for years. In a variety of art forms, too, available at nearly ever rest stop between Kansas City and Las Vegas.
Us Texans greatly admire and appreciate the biological organism which produces said art form. A lot is at steak here. :)

With respect to items of a more explosive nature, fresh is the best. The additional weight not only aids in the absorbtion of the explosive charge, but the vastly improved adhesion usually results in a more contained explosion.
Safer!
The bigger issue in sending this supersaturated shrapnel material out in supernova style is the length of the fuse. Often too short! :sick:

beskeptical
2005-Nov-29, 12:17 AM
Is this about a particular thread that was locked? Or about why lock any thread?

One good reason to lock a thread is to stop a fight from getting out of hand before you have to ban anyone.

George
2005-Nov-29, 12:18 AM
Yes, and leaving Locked Threads on the Forum (as far as I know---have any been totally erased?) allow us to see them and where they went off-track, in the event the info proves useful for follow-up on one's own.
I agree. I hope they continue not to delete them.

Maksutov
2005-Nov-29, 12:27 AM

Safer!Those dehydrated forms can be used for many things. For instance a while back the most popular contest at a local agricultural fair was the cow chip fling. The crowds were amazing, the participants quite talented, and those poor unfortunates who got showered when one of the bovine Frisbees disintegrated in mid-air didn't seem to mind a bit.

What a versatile animal, dead or alive! http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/tiere/c040.gif

Back on topic, some good points, I agree most with what beskeptical wrote.

genebujold
2005-Nov-29, 12:34 AM
Us Texans greatly admire and appreciate the biological organism which produces said art form. A lot is at steak here. :)

Sir, I have been both in, as well as from, the great State of Texas. I sincerely appreciate a choice cut of beef, and fondly admire it in all it's various forms of art, including the great proliferation of it's residue, though strictly from an academic perspective, of course.

Medium, please. I don't wish anything left alive on my plate, but I'd still like it to taste at least somewhat alive.

George
2005-Nov-29, 02:24 AM
It is quite impressive to take the orignal topic and generate so much literal b.s. with such civility and entertainment as to not warrant possible prophetic thread locking consideration. This is undoubtedly some of the best b.s. to date! :) A tribute to the talents, and tenets, of this thread's tenants. :clap:

genebujold
2005-Nov-29, 03:42 AM
A finer compliment has never been paid, my fair friend, and I will always be in your service!

Wolverine
2005-Nov-29, 05:12 AM
Ban those who pollute it, but please keep the threads open. "Contention is the spark of debate, which leads to desperation, then insight, invention, and ultimately a better world." Why stop progress?

Threads are locked for a number of reasons, and viewed by the staff as an undesirable action -- it's not something we eagerly look forward to doing. Most commonly you'll find threads are locked due to other members being "ToSeeked" (duplicate, subsequent thread[s] posted on the same topic). Recently there have been several locked for FAQ violation and we endeavor to keep our actions transparent for all to see.

I will reiterate:

If there is a rule violation, then a moderator will take action. This may include: the deletion of a word or phrase (if it breaks the rules), the removal of an entire post (if it is beyond redemption, or if it's a spam, etc.), the merging of a new thread with an existing one on the same topic, the closing of a thread if it wanders too far off-topic or gets too heated, a gentle warning to a user or users, a not-so-gentle-warning, and as a last resort, the banning of a user. This banning may be temporary or permanent, as outlined above. If a moderator gives you advice, we advise you to take it.

If you disagree with a moderator action, then PM or email the moderator, a different moderator, or an administrator. We will review the case and take action as needed.

George
2005-Nov-29, 02:51 PM
A finer compliment has never been paid, my fair friend, and I will always be in your service!
Thanks. I was hoping someday I would be helpful with at least one topic (tangential counts). Birds of feather stick together....or, rather, "patties of a pasture" would be more adhesive yet. :)

farmerjumperdon
2005-Nov-29, 03:09 PM

Safer!

Not to mention the very cool splatter effect of using the wet stuff.