PDA

View Full Version : Meteor, clouds and domes

jscotti
2005-Nov-29, 01:11 PM
This is the view out my back door - well, sort of. While observing at the Spacewatch 1.8-m telescope on Saturday morning, Nov. 26 (or not observing in this case thanks to wind and clouds), I took this photo as part of a timelapse set. I caught a rather nice meteor to go along with the clouds and domes. From the left is the Spacewatch 36 inch (0.9-m) telescope, the Steward Observatory 90 inch Bok telescope and the KPNO 4-meter Mayall telescope. The clouds and domes are lit by the crescent moon (partly obscured by the clouds) & the lights of Tucson.

turbo-1
2005-Nov-29, 01:18 PM
Breathtaking! Thanks for sharing that.

Big Brother Dunk
2005-Nov-29, 07:56 PM
Wow!! Awesome shot and great timing!

Wolverine
2005-Nov-30, 04:41 AM
Gorgeous shot. :clap:

Arneb
2005-Nov-30, 06:42 AM
Wow, just W - O - W!
:surprised

MattyMoose
2005-Dec-01, 01:51 PM
Just had to say.... Nice work, man! The sunset and the clouds are beautiful...

Keep up the good work.

jscotti
2005-Dec-04, 12:07 AM
Just had to say.... Nice work, man! The sunset and the clouds are beautiful...

Actually, that's not a sunset, those are the lights of Phoenix as seen looking generally north from Kitt Peak. The clouds and domes are lit by the crescent moon mostly and a bit by the direct city lights to the east from Tucson.

BTW, thanks for the kind words everyone.

Jim.

H.Haeri
2005-Dec-04, 07:12 PM
Oh.Very Very Gooooooooooooooooooood.

Melusine
2005-Dec-04, 08:12 PM
It does seem exceptionally bright and yellow even for city light pollution--I can see how one would think it's a sunset.

It's a beautiful photo--that meteor is icing on the cake. Make a postcard out of it and send it to your friends! (I was thinking of how people could make astronomy-related Christmas cards, too.)

:clap:

Candy
2005-Dec-09, 07:11 AM
The photo is spiritual like. It gives me goosebumps.

Maksutov
2005-Dec-09, 08:31 AM
Actually, that's not a sunset, those are the lights of Phoenix as seen looking generally north from Kitt Peak. The clouds and domes are lit by the crescent moon mostly and a bit by the direct city lights to the east from Tucson.

BTW, thanks for the kind words everyone.

Jim.It did seem a bit odd for an Arizona sunset to be taking place north of Cassiopeia.

Magnificent shot!

The Bad Astronomer
2005-Dec-10, 06:10 AM
jscotti, have you contacted the APOD folks about that one? That's a lock.

Candy
2005-Dec-12, 07:40 AM
Darn it, I tried to take a photo of what jscotti's photo reminded me of, but it is blurry. I snapped it from a calendar at work. :mad:

J. P. Morgan
2005-Dec-12, 04:32 PM
An absolutely stunning image. Congratulations.

JP

http://home.comcast.net/~minerjp/Astrophotography.html

Norm T
2005-Dec-14, 12:36 PM
An absolutely wicked shot, thanks for sharing it.

Dragon Star
2005-Dec-19, 04:42 AM
One of the best shots from earth EVER! Great Job!

suntrack2
2005-Dec-19, 04:46 PM
Oh :) very nice photographs by candy, jscotti and morgan.amazing one.
now there is no need for me to view from the telescope, the same i am enjoying very much on the screen, really cute images.

sunil

hhEb09'1
2005-Dec-19, 04:55 PM
I took this photo as part of a timelapse set.Nice! What was the exposure time for that particular image?

jscotti, have you contacted the APOD folks about that one? That's a lock.And Sky and Telescope! :)

njnightsky
2005-Dec-20, 01:59 PM
Wow....

Eric Vaxxine
2005-Dec-20, 03:53 PM
Stunning. Should easily qualify for Photo Stock worldwide.

suntrack2
2005-Dec-20, 05:13 PM
you know practice makes man perfect, hence do not hesitate to take more and more images, the apercher can get a clear view, hurry is a problem while pushing in the button of the camera which may cause the raw-image or unclear image of the matter ( this happenes sometime but always it may not happen)

once upon one camera man starts the preparations to catch the full moon in his camera, but what happened later he got that he was forget to load a film in the camera. :)

ryanmercer
2005-Dec-20, 07:03 PM
Excellent picture! Hehe I think I found a new background.

have_u_ever_been_2_uranus?
2005-Dec-21, 10:52 AM
stunning im taken for words

Nicolas
2005-Dec-22, 07:42 PM
Such a meteor can be seen for only a very short period of time, right? Luckily you were taking a set of pictures, otherwise the chances for "catching" a meteor would be very low!

Truly amazing photo.

Did the sky really look like that (so many visible stars!), or has the picture increased light time wrt what the human eye sees?

Candy
2005-Dec-22, 08:14 PM
Such a meteor can be seen for only a very short period of time, right? Luckily you were taking a set of pictures, otherwise the chances for "catching" a meteor would be very low!

Truly amazing photo.

Did the sky really look like that (so many visible stars!), or has the picture increased light time wrt what the human eye sees?
I'm no expert, but my gut tells me that the "city lights" and clouds in the background were not as bright during the snapshot. The stars and domes were probably all he saw for photo purposes. The comet (and light effects) was just an added bonus. :razz:

jscotti
2005-Dec-23, 03:07 AM

Truly amazing photo.

Yes, the meteor probably lasted only a few seconds. The exposure was 30 seconds long (24mm f/1.8 lens on my Canon 20D at ISO 1600) and I used the cameras burst mode with my cable release locked so that the camera continued to take 30 second exposures until either the battery died, the memory card filled or I went out and stopped it (the 3rd case this time). I also put together the whole sequence into an AVI file. The timelapse really shows how dynamic the sky is: stars moving around the pole, clouds moving across the sky, satellites zipping across the sky, lights in and around domes from flashlights or even cars driving by (even with just their running lights on).

Thanks to all for the kind words. The sky definitely doesn't look that way to the unaided and dark adapted eye. 30 seconds probably gets down to around 10th or 11th magnitude in this case and greatly enhanced all the ambient light, including the moon and city lit clouds and the city lights of Phoenix scattered off the sky above (Phoenix is not visible directly from Kitt Peak as Tucson is, but if you compare the dome of light over each, Phoenix' dome of light is almost as bright as Tucsons).

Jim.

jscotti
2005-Dec-23, 03:08 AM
Excellent picture! Hehe I think I found a new background.

I'm using it for my wallpaper on one of my computers....

Jim.

mickal555
2005-Dec-23, 04:15 AM
I'm no expert, but my gut tells me that the "city lights" and clouds in the background were not as bright during the snapshot. The stars and domes were probably all he saw for photo purposes. The comet (and light effects) was just an added bonus. :razz:

*cough* meteor

That shot truly is amazing! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Candy
2005-Dec-23, 05:29 AM
*cough* [I]meteor
:o

mahesh
2005-Dec-23, 09:51 AM
jscotti your astrophoto is incredible, takes my breath away maaan
thanks for sharing

suntrack2
2006-Jan-01, 03:59 PM
jscotti may become the future's expert image-taker.

nice work jscotti, thank u.

galacsi
2006-Jan-01, 06:19 PM
Magnificent Picture.

It move me specially because some years ago during my second travel to America i paid i visit to this observatory and i was greatly impressed by the place , its atmosphere of peace , the people very cool. I still have a solar system chart i bought at a shop there . It is on my study wall on my right.

With you shot it is even more magnificent than in my memory !

Thanks a lot.

Wolverine
2006-Jan-02, 10:21 AM
jscotti was kind enough to let me feature his image in this article (http://wolvsden.blogspot.com/2005/12/amazing-astrophotography.html). :)

galacsi
2006-Jan-02, 11:23 AM
jscotti was kind enough to let me feature his image in this article (http://wolvsden.blogspot.com/2005/12/amazing-astrophotography.html). :)

Hi

On your web site i read : "Scientia non habet inimicum nisp ignorantem"

I translate it roughly "Science does not have enemy except ignorance"

Is it true (The translation ) ?

Wolverine
2006-Jan-02, 12:04 PM
That's the gist to the best of my understanding. :)

Candy
2006-Jan-02, 06:51 PM
Nice blog, Wolverine! I see Jim has one, too. I'll dig deeper when I get back from work.

Wolverine
2006-Jan-02, 06:53 PM
Thanks. :)

Dragon Star
2006-Jan-02, 10:04 PM
Great Blog Wolverine, I love that shot of Complex Nebula in Orion!:D

About the earth now animation, is that live to the second, or does it just update frequently?

Very cool man!:clap:

Wolverine
2006-Jan-02, 10:18 PM
Thanks, I think it just updates every so often. Hey, I didn't mean for this to turn into a hijack for my webpage. :razz:

Go drool over jscotti's image galleries.

Jakenorrish
2006-Jan-02, 11:41 PM
Thanks, I think it just updates every so often. Hey, I didn't mean for this to turn into a hijack for my webpage. :razz:

Yeah yeah, that's what they all say... You know the forum rules!! :D