PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear War Begins

harlequin
2005-Nov-29, 09:28 PM
I rereading (or rather listening to to a reading of it done by Ray Bradbury) of the Martian Chronicles. The big nuclear war in the book happened in "November 2005".

TheBlackCat
2005-Nov-30, 01:27 AM
Well, I guess we have just under 47 hours until we find out whether the book is right or not (assuming my math is correct)

DukePaul
2005-Nov-30, 02:12 AM
Will I need to reset my atomic clock if it doesn't happen?

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-30, 02:36 AM
Considering that we don't have a series of Mars colonies - in open Martian air, no less - I'm not going to get overly concerned about the other predictions.

Of course, perhaps we actually do have Mars colonies, but they aren't telling us. :shifty:

This reminds me of watching "The Omega Man" after 1975. For that matter, I don't remember seeing the Eugenics Wars a few years back.

James_Digriz
2005-Nov-30, 02:57 AM
Considering that we don't have a series of Mars colonies - in open Martian air, no less - I'm not going to get overly concerned about the other predictions.

No problem. The Mayan end of the world is supposed to be happening very soon and we are way overdue for Edgar Caycee's end of the world predictions to come true.

Throw Nostradamas in there as well and you have more then enough "real" predictions to worry about.

harlequin
2005-Nov-30, 02:58 AM
This reminds me of watching "The Omega Man" after 1975. For that matter, I don't remember seeing the Eugenics Wars a few years back.

They actually have a novel on the Eugenics Wars in bookstores. It supposedly explains how they happened and why we have not noticed. Naturally I have no interest in reading it so I can't give the details.

SeanF
2005-Nov-30, 03:20 AM
They actually have a novel on the Eugenics Wars in bookstores. It supposedly explains how they happened and why we have not noticed. Naturally I have no interest in reading it so I can't give the details.
There's two of them. I've only read the first one, which deals with Khan's birth and early life. So far, it's all keeping with the reality we know, with all the eugenics stuff being top-secret.

For example, in 1974, there was an underground nuclear explosion in the Indian desert. The Indian government admitted to testing atomic weapons. According to the book, it was actually the destruction of the secret eugenics lab in which Khan and the others had been created. :) The author also uses the 1984 Bhopal chemical leak as an event which young Khan witnessed and helped to drive his desire to change the world.

One thing I did think was kind of funny: The main protagonists in the book are Gary Seven and Roberta Lincoln from "Assignment: Earth" (being set in the late 20th century, obviously the regular Star Trek crew doesn't figure in it much), and Roberta Lincoln spent much of the book undercover as a geneticist. Her cover name was Veronica Neary! :D

captain swoop
2005-Nov-30, 11:23 AM
Plus the moon didn't clear off in 1999

DukePaul
2005-Nov-30, 11:38 AM
Well in 1999 there was suppose to be an explosion on the Moon that sends it and the base located on it off on a stellar roadtrip. I guess that didn't happen UNLESS there has been a government conspiracy to cover up that accident. I bet that is it and the Moon really isn't there, just a big inflatable Moon with craters drawn on it. That WOULD explain why we have not returned with a manned mission. The Chinese are going to be so surprised when they plant their flag and the Moon pops.

Swift
2005-Nov-30, 05:19 PM
Well in 1999 there was suppose to be an explosion on the Moon that sends it and the base located on it off on a stellar roadtrip. I guess that didn't happen UNLESS there has been a government conspiracy to cover up that accident. I bet that is it and the Moon really isn't there, just a big inflatable Moon with craters drawn on it. That WOULD explain why we have not returned with a manned mission. The Chinese are going to be so surprised when they plant their flag and the Moon pops.
I bet that explains why I have had trouble booking my Pan Am flight from the orbiting space station to the lunar base. Dr. Floyd asked me to take a look at something, next time I was visiting.

Jim
2005-Nov-30, 07:04 PM
I remember the Cuban Missle Crisis in '69, when the possibility of a nuclear war was very real.

A local TV station sent a message to an affiliate in Miami. "In the event of war, please film and send to us. We are planning a WWIII 30-minute special."

The Miami station messaged back, "WWIII is expected to be over in 2 minutes. What will you use to fill?"

WHarris
2005-Nov-30, 07:56 PM
I remember the Cuban Missle Crisis in '69, when the possibility of a nuclear war was very real.

Wow. I thought it was in 1962. :D

Van Rijn
2005-Nov-30, 11:25 PM

No, No, NO! The stuff in chemtrails makes us susceptible to mind control, and they beam images of the missing moon right into our brains. Put on your foil hat and you will see The Truth.

:whistle:

Jim
2005-Dec-01, 07:13 PM
Wow. I thought it was in 1962. :D

As you get older, you start to lose three things.

First is memory...

I'm sorry, what were we discussing?

Chuck
2005-Dec-02, 03:21 AM
'62 was the Cuban missile crisis. '69 was the Jets beating the Colts in Superbowl III. I lost money on that one.

TheBlackCat
2005-Dec-02, 05:12 AM
As you get older, you start to lose three things.

First is memory...

I'm sorry, what were we discussing?

There are three signs of senility. The first sign is that a man forgets his theorems. The second sign is that he forgets to zip up. The third sign is that he forgets to zip down.
-Paul Erdos

BenM
2005-Dec-02, 07:43 PM
I'm just happy that I can travel to a Manhattan that hasn't been turned into a huge penal colony. (Escape From New York, set in 1997).

publiusr
2005-Dec-02, 09:38 PM
I'm just happy that I can travel to a Manhattan that hasn't been turned into a huge penal colony. (Escape From New York, set in 1997).

It isn't?

Chuck
2005-Dec-02, 10:55 PM
Maybe Bradbury meant the card game (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Nuclear-War-Card-Game-VERY-FUN_W0QQitemZ8730087480QQcategoryZ2552QQssPageName ZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), not an actual war.

BenM
2005-Dec-03, 01:17 AM
It isn't?

Nope, and if it were the US would have a lot of cities walled off.

Reported Violent Crimes/100,000 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/documents/CIUS2004.pdf?file)

New York :458

Albuquerque : 842
Anchorage : 806
Charleston : 814
Charlotte : 768
Columbia : 802

that's just A-C

James_Digriz
2005-Dec-03, 01:48 AM
Nope, and if it were the US would have a lot of cities walled off.

Better start with Bulgeria and Seychelles. The United States was 24th on the list of Murders (per capita) from 1998 - 2000 from the Seventh United Nations Survey of Crime Trends and Operations of Criminal Justice Systems.

Link (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap)

novaderrik
2005-Dec-03, 08:28 AM
forget about the nuclear war- i wanna know where the Autobot base is, and when Megatron is going to attack it in a stolen transport...
i just want to see the Dinobots in action.
and where is my hoverboard? Spike had one, and i want one.

Romanus
2005-Dec-04, 05:29 PM
As luck would have it, Bradbury himself recently redid the dates in the Martian Chronicles..."Rocket Summer" starts in January 2030 now.

ZaphodBeeblebrox
2005-Dec-04, 09:13 PM
As luck would have it, Bradbury himself recently redid the dates in the Martian Chronicles..."Rocket Summer" starts in January 2030 now.

Oh GREAT ...

So, We'll Be Having, this Same Discussion ...

In 24 Years!

:wall:

captain swoop
2005-Dec-05, 10:24 AM
And there still won't be an atmosphere to breathe