PDA

View Full Version : Earth to Explode?!

Mifletz
2002-Jan-07, 11:36 AM
http://bioresonant.com/news.htm

Argos
2002-Jan-07, 12:36 PM
Planet Phaeton...Hmmm. I like that name. Maybe when planet X comes to light we might give it that name in honour of Plato.

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-07, 12:42 PM
Pretty wild. All the links seem to point to the same core.pdf file--so I think that their "hyperbolic" is misspelled, it should be "hyperbole."

Otherwise, I was very interested in the description by Plato of an explosion of a planet. That would seem to be a very loose interpretation.

<font size=-1>[Fixed mispelling of hyperbole]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GrapesOfWrath on 2002-01-07 08:15 ]</font>

hullaballo
2002-Jan-07, 01:11 PM
If global warming is the problem, why hasn't Venus exploded. Venus has a much bigger "problem" with global warming than we do. Or did the Earth just get a much larger nuclear reactor at our core than Venus?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hullaballo on 2002-01-07 08:14 ]</font>

GENIUS'02
2002-Jan-07, 01:27 PM
if the earth has a nuclear reactor for a core how the hell has it been so stable for the past millions of years and how come we aren't in danger of the radiation emmited?

Donnie B.
2002-Jan-07, 01:34 PM
Mifletz again. Yawn.

The key paragraph in that PDF document comes near the end, just ahead of the appendix. It states, "I believe that the universe is the product of Intelligent Design..."

What's a statement like that doing in a "scientific" paper?

ToSeek
2002-Jan-07, 01:36 PM
On 2002-01-07 08:11, hullaballo wrote:
If global warming is the problem, why hasn't Venus exploded?

If global warming is the problem, why hasn't the Earth exploded on other occasions when there was much more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than there is now (or is expected to be in the near future)?

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-07, 01:47 PM
On 2002-01-07 07:36, Argos wrote:
Planet Phaeton...Hmmm. I like that name. Maybe when planet X comes to light we might give it that name in honour of Plato.

Why not "Plato?" Better yet, let's just call it "Plait."

Donnie B.
2002-Jan-07, 01:52 PM
On 2002-01-07 08:36, ToSeek wrote:

On 2002-01-07 08:11, hullaballo wrote:
If global warming is the problem, why hasn't Venus exploded?

If global warming is the problem, why hasn't the Earth exploded on other occasions when there was much more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than there is now (or is expected to be in the near future)?

Yes, and when (presumably) the "reactor" had much fresher and therefore more potent fuel...

Ghaaa... why am I wasting memes on this nonsense?

David Hall
2002-Jan-07, 02:15 PM
On 2002-01-07 08:47, GrapesOfWrath wrote:

Why not "Plato?" Better yet, let's just call it "Plait."

Suck up.

But hey. I'll second that motion. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Valiant Dancer
2002-Jan-07, 02:16 PM
On 2002-01-07 06:36, Mifletz wrote:
http://bioresonant.com/news.htm

Mifletz,
Good to see that you're up to your old standard stuff.

This line says it all. It accurately describes the fear-mongering conspiracists that thought this drek up.

Withholding, distorting or otherwise interfering with the Truth about the Planetary Core is a Crime Against Humanity - one of the greatest crimes that man can commit. Please copy and print this page and this article before they will become assassinated.

Ooooooo. People are out to GET them. Yeah. Right.

Argos
2002-Jan-07, 02:32 PM
On 2002-01-07 08:47, GrapesOfWrath wrote:
Better yet, let's just call it "Plait."

Grapes, you've got it!! The ultimate pun. I think it is a very justified claim. Good, pal. BA deserves it!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Argos on 2002-01-07 09:39 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-07, 04:28 PM
On 2002-01-07 09:32, Argos wrote:
The ultimate pun.
I hoping you hadn't meant talk about flying saucers, or crescent, gibbous, and (wait for it) full Plait? There's serious repercussions for that sort of thing.

<font size=-1>[Fixed quote]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GrapesOfWrath on 2002-01-07 11:29 ]</font>

CJSF
2002-Jan-07, 05:48 PM
I'll just take issue with the little graph showing the number of active volcanoes...

Hundreds of volcanoes are active all the time. The Kamchatka region of Russia alone has 15.

If we ASSUME they mean actively ERUPTING volcanoes, in 1995 there were MORE than 5 active volcanoes.

a QUICK look through VOlcano Worlds website http://volcano.und.nodak.edu shows:

Etna, Sicily, Italy
Stromboli, Italy
Kilauea, HI, USA
Soufriere Hills, Montserrat
Sakura-jima, Japan
Unzen, Japan
Copahue, Argentina
Rincon del la Vieja, Costa Rica
Sangay, Ecuador
Fernandina, Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Pacaya, Guatemala
Cerro Negro, Nicaragua

And LOTS more that were actively erupting in 1995 - many of them before that and NOW.

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Jan-07, 09:00 PM
From that "Cored" document:

Apparently, the last ”mini” ice age on Earth
occurred between 536 and 540 AD - only 1490 years ago (!).

Bzzztt, thanx for playing, and don't forget to take our Play-at-Home version with you as you leave.

The last "mini" ice age on Earth--in fact, historians creatively call it The Little Ice Age--occurred around the 15th century AD (sorry, don't have exact dates to hand), and was directly responsible (among other things) for the disappearance of the Viking settlements in Greenland. A bishop had been sent to the Greenland settlements around 1250 or so, IIRC, but by 1500 not a Viking remained alive; the next visitor to the island found nothing but abandoned houses with a few traces that hinted that migrating Inuit might have helped finish off the last Viking survivors.

Temperatures all over Europe (not much reporting from North America at the time, you see, and the Mongols weren't talking to anyone--that lived, anyway /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif ) were drastically lowered during that time period.

[Mongol weather reporting: "Great Khan, the weather is getting colder than it was this time a handful of years ago." "Hmm, go kill a hundred Chinese as a placating sacrifice for the air gods." "Great Khan, the weather is getting warmer again!" "Hmm, go kill a hundred Chinese as a thankgiving sacrifice for the air gods."]

So rather than "1490 years ago", it's much more like "490 years ago" (or on that magnitude). Perhaps they just misplaced a digit reading about a last Ice Age around 1540 (although even that's a trifle late date)--which would merely indicate sloppy research, since The Little Ice Age is well-documented--or perhaps they had a need for moving the date as they did (I haven't read the whole thing, only skimmed it and the "last ice age" thing just caught my eye by happenstance). In either case, where one point is so demonstrably wrong as that, one needs to be cautious when reading the rest of their findings.

The (right now my office is in a Little Ice Age of its own /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_frown.gif ) Curtmudgeon

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Curtmudgeon on 2002-01-07 16:07 ]</font>

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Jan-07, 10:08 PM
I just did some more reading on that site--not very far yet, as the "I gotta respond to this" gag reflex kicked in on line one. Following the very first hyperlink in the text (not including the top graph), got me to a page for a "free" ebook which includes this note in the sign-up:

If for any reason you feel uneasy to reveal your email address - you are not yet ready to read this book.

WTF!? Just because I don't want a bunch of True Believers beating down my electronic door and spamming me to hell and gone, I'm not ready to read their book? /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif

If it wasn't for Phil's rules on posting (with which I agree, although I admit my tendencies to a "sailor's vocabulary"), I'd be very rude right now. I just backspaced out a comment that I know he couldn't allow through. But these people need to be isolated on a volcanic island so they can get used to the heat....

The ( /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_mad.gif ) Curtmudgeon

Kaptain K
2002-Jan-08, 01:05 AM
If:

Mifletz
BANNED

Then.

How the heck did he manage to post?

Inquiring minds want to know.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kaptain K on 2002-01-07 20:10 ]</font>

GrapesOfWrath
2002-Jan-08, 04:09 AM
He wasn't banned when he posted that.

Now he is.

Kaptain K
2002-Jan-08, 06:25 AM
Posted: 2002-01-07 06:36
He has been banned since the old board.

DStahl
2002-Jan-08, 06:45 AM
Mifletz BANNED
-->[uses friend's computer and
email to create new user account]
Mifletz NABBED

Chief Engineer Scott
2002-Jan-08, 08:37 AM
Mini ice-age.
If memory serves me correctly there has been a mini ice-age after the 1500's, there are records of the Thames at London freezing over in the 1800's in a series of consecutive years.

Valiant Dancer
2002-Jan-08, 12:44 PM
On 2002-01-08 03:37, Chief Engineer Scott wrote:
Mini ice-age.
If memory serves me correctly there has been a mini ice-age after the 1500's, there are records of the Thames at London freezing over in the 1800's in a series of consecutive years.

I think that's when Krakatoa (sp) went caldera. Enough volcanic ash was pushed into the upper atmosphere to lower the mean temperature for the next 5-10 years. (May be longer.)

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Jan-08, 06:27 PM
On 2002-01-08 07:44, Valiant Dancer wrote:
I think that's when Krakatoa (sp) went caldera. Enough volcanic ash was pushed into the upper atmosphere to lower the mean temperature for the next 5-10 years. (May be longer.)

It seems to me that Val is right here; I can't swear that The Little Ice Age was the last mini-Ice Age, but I certainly don't recall one later. The Krakatoa eruption had a multi-year impact on temperatures (I was thinking 3, but Val may be more correct), but isn't generally classed as an "ice age". But yes, it did drop temperatures as far away as London, and did cause ice skating on the Thames.

Anyone else remember the movie, "Krakatoa East of Java"? Of course, the real island is west of Java, but that's Hollywood for you--their knowledge of geography stops at Rodeo Drive.

The ("Krakatoa South of Sumatra" was never even considered) Curtmudgeon

EckJerome
2002-Jan-08, 09:30 PM
The Little Ice Age ended only 150 years ago. It lasted for more than 400 years.

Eric

SeanF
2002-Jan-08, 09:34 PM
On 2002-01-08 13:27, The Curtmudgeon wrote:

Anyone else remember the movie, "Krakatoa East of Java"? Of course, the real island is west of Java, but that's Hollywood for you--their knowledge of geography stops at Rodeo Drive.

Actually, I believe the original novel that the movie was based on had the same title -- a title given it by the publisher against the will of the author, who knew it was wrong . . . far be it for me to defend Hollywood, but they just kept the same title.

Russ
2002-Jan-08, 09:42 PM
If memory serves the "mini Iceage" was from about 1356 to 1425. That is when Europe went from living in huts and castles to what we call houses. It came on very quickly also, about 2-3 years. James Burke talked about this in one of his original "Connections" programs on PBS. I can't remember which though.

This happened during what has become known as the "Maunder Minimum" Sunspot cycle. During this 69year time span there were no "recorded" sunspots. A fact dug up by astronomical historian Mr. Maunder.

As I understand it, Solar scientists have been trying to tie Sunspot activity to Solar output because of Maunder's discovery. It's my understanding that no one has found a scientific corrillation yet.

I had not heard that Krakatoa had caused a global weather impact. I have heard that the explossion could be heard in London though. Now THAT'S a big bang! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

On 2002-01-08 13:27, The Curtmudgeon wrote:

On 2002-01-08 07:44, Valiant Dancer wrote:

It seems to me that Val is right here; I can't swear that The Little Ice Age was the last mini-Ice Age, but I certainly don't recall one later. The Krakatoa eruption had a multi-year impact on temperatures (I was thinking 3, but Val may be more correct), but isn't generally classed as an "ice age". But yes, it did drop temperatures as far away as London, and did cause ice skating on the Thames.

The ("Krakatoa South of Sumatra" was never even considered) Curtmudgeon

Peter B
2002-Jan-09, 12:46 AM
One Little Ice Age occurred around 400 - 600AD. There was a warm interlude 800 - 1200 (grapes grown in England I think). There was another Little Ice Age 1400 - 1800.

These are longer term climatic matters.

The short cold snap from 536 to 540 is conceivably associated with a volcanic eruption somewhere in Indonesia. It's been investigated in depth by some British fellow, who produced a book and a TV program about it.

Peter B
2002-Jan-09, 12:48 AM
And Russ, you're overdoing it to say Krakatoa's eruption was heard in London - I think you're confusing that with other events (maybe Tunguska). Krakatoa was heard as a vague rumbling in North-Western Australia.

Kaptain K
2002-Jan-09, 12:58 AM
It wasn't "heard" in London, but the fluctuations in barometric pressure were detected there.

The Curtmudgeon
2002-Jan-09, 10:06 PM
On 2002-01-08 16:34, SeanF wrote:
Actually, I believe the original novel that the movie was based on had the same title -- a title given it by the publisher against the will of the author, who knew it was wrong . . . far be it for me to defend Hollywood, but they just kept the same title.

Hmm, not to argue (well, okay, I am arguing), but IMDB doesn't list a book source, and even Leonard Maltin, who usually does mention any book source when he's discussing the plot of a movie, doesn't refer to one, so I think you might be recalling a book made from the movie, not vice versa. Anyway, the movie was later retitled 'Volcano' just because of the geo-gaff-ic title (whether original to the movie or not).

The (or I could be all wet, of course) Curtmudgeon

SeanF
2002-Jan-10, 12:50 PM
On 2002-01-09 17:06, The Curtmudgeon wrote:

On 2002-01-08 16:34, SeanF wrote:

Hmm, not to argue (well, okay, I am arguing), but IMDB doesn't list a book source, and even Leonard Maltin, who usually does mention any book source when he's discussing the plot of a movie, doesn't refer to one, so I think you might be recalling a book made from the movie, not vice versa. Anyway, the movie was later retitled 'Volcano' just because of the geo-gaff-ic title (whether original to the movie or not).

The (or I could be all wet, of course) Curtmudgeon

My bad. The novel was, in fact, based on the screenplay, although the author (Michael Avallone) did apparently object to the title and try to get the book published under a different name . . .

(My source for this is here (http://fgms.home.att.net/roxwrong.htm).)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeanF on 2002-01-10 07:52 ]</font>

Russ
2002-Jan-10, 03:11 PM
On 2002-01-08 19:48, Peter B wrote:
And Russ, you're overdoing it to say Krakatoa's eruption was heard in London

Boy, I'll say!! /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif I was not in London at the time so I cannot speak with total authority. I can pass on what I have heard/read under the catagory "For What It's Worth". Further, I think the absurdity of the statement in the first place would classify it as theater of the absurd humor. I appologize for not putting in an emoticon to depict this. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_wink.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_razz.gif /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

- I think you're confusing that with other events (maybe Tunguska). Krakatoa was heard as a vague rumbling in North-Western Australia.

Again, I cannot speak from personnal experience but I do recall reading about aboriginal Austrailian folklor that mentions a rumbling from the north about the time Krak. cracked. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

In the future I will try to insert emoticons /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif so that you will not be motivated to correct /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif my attempts to pass on unvalidated, /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif unsubstantiated, /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif unscientific /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif lies, /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif rumor, /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif inuendo /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif and other flatulance. /phpBB/images/smiles/icon_lol.gif

edit to correct code

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Russ on 2002-01-10 10:13 ]</font>