PDA

View Full Version : Happy St Andrew's Day!

Lianachan
2005-Nov-30, 09:52 AM
It's St Andrew's Day today (Nov 30th) - although I bet not many in Scotland will realise that.

US based people seem to mark the day considerably more enthusiastically than those of us who live in Scotland.

I wonder how well recognised his day is in Russia and Greece?

montebianco
2005-Nov-30, 09:54 AM
Well, I'm in the US, but I'm not Scotish, so I didn't realize it either.

Does one do anything special for St. Andrew's Day?

Lianachan
2005-Nov-30, 10:02 AM
Well, I'm in the US, but I'm not Scotish, so I didn't realize it either.

Does one do anything special for St. Andrew's Day?

Well, in Scotland it's become traditional to not distinguish the day from any other in any way whatsoever.

Our parliament had discussed making it a national holiday, but rejected the idea in favour of looking for ways to recognise it without losing a days work. I have no idea if they've thought of anything yet.

I am not at all religious, but I am 10,000% behind anything that promotes Scotland and even more supportive of anything that helps differentiate Scottish culture from British culture.

Candy
2005-Nov-30, 11:18 AM
I love catholic holidays... :)

Candy
2005-Nov-30, 11:20 AM
I also promote any holiday that gets a man in a skirt. Purrrrrr! ;)

Lianachan
2005-Nov-30, 11:30 AM

You know, I've only ever worn a kilt once. Earlier this year, at a cousins wedding. I'll be wearing, maybe buying, one for my own wedding next year.

(And before you ask, a man's undergarments (or potential lack thereof) are his own private concern :naughty: )

Candy
2005-Nov-30, 11:34 AM
You know, I've only ever worn a kilt once. Earlier this year, at a cousins wedding. I'll be wearing, maybe buying, one for my own wedding next year.

(And before you ask, a man's undergarments (or potential lack thereof) are his own private concern :naughty: )
May I attend?

Candy
2005-Nov-30, 11:36 AM
You know, if you say yes, you will finally get me to my blood roots. So cool.

captain swoop
2005-Nov-30, 12:51 PM
As in old Joke

Is anything worn under the kilt?

No, it's all in perfect order.

Heid the Ba'
2005-Nov-30, 01:29 PM

Do you still have my BABB Photo album picture as your screensaver?

This should be a National Holiday as it doubles as my birthday, I left cake in the kitchen and beer in the cooler in the tv room. Help yourself.

Big Brother Dunk
2005-Nov-30, 07:43 PM
Happy St. Andrew's Day and Happy Haggis Hunting!
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/drink/trink39.gif

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-30, 07:59 PM
I am not at all religious, but I am 10,000% behind anything that promotes Scotland and even more supportive of anything that helps differentiate Scottish culture from British culture.

Ironically, it was the Scots that created "British" culture. So British culture is Scottish culture. I think you may mean Gealic or Pictish culture.

TriangleMan
2005-Nov-30, 11:04 PM
At lunch time we had a piper outside the building for about 30 minutes. He was greeting guests to a lunch, including Haggis, sponsored by another company in the building that (I presume) has a number of Scots in senior management. :cool:

Lianachan
2005-Dec-01, 09:19 AM
Ironically, it was the Scots that created "British" culture. So British culture is Scottish culture. I think you may mean Gealic or Pictish culture.
I know precisely what I mean, thankyou. It's not quite as simple as that, but I can't be bothered getting into it here.

I'll refer you to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_culture), though, which is what I was talking about.

captain swoop
2005-Dec-01, 02:52 PM
I thought most of the Scottish traditions were created by the Victorians.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-01, 03:02 PM
I thought most of the Scottish traditions were created by the Victorians.

I'm not talking about traditions, I'm talking about culture and national identity. I support anything that reinforces Scottish national identity.

You're right that things like particular tartans being associated with particular clans are a Victorian invention, and are of no historical merit. Having said that, a tradition that's 150 years old or so could be considered well established and valid, regardless of it's basis in historical fact (or lack thereof). But the more people who realise that all of that side of things is pure invention, the better!

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Dec-01, 06:44 PM
I know precisely what I mean, thankyou. It's not quite as simple as that, but I can't be bothered getting into it here.

I'll refer you to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_culture), though, which is what I was talking about.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I was just trying to understand what you mean. But in any case, it is true that the intellectual and political culture of Great Britain (as well as the English-speaking nations of the world) owes itself to Scottish innovation. In that sense, British culture is Scottish culture.

GDwarf
2005-Dec-01, 11:21 PM
Missed the holiday, but I rather wish I hadn't, being 1/4 Scots myself and having visited the place 2 years ago I also agree that anything that promotes Scotland is to be kept around, it's lovely, when it isn't raining, and the people are great.

My one beef being that I doubt that there is even one straight road in Edinburgh, they all twist up to the left or down to the right ;).

Candy
2005-Dec-02, 08:52 AM
Do you still have my BABB Photo album picture as your screensaver?

This should be a National Holiday as it doubles as my birthday, I left cake in the kitchen and beer in the cooler in the tv room. Help yourself.
Happy Birthday! Sorry, I missed this post. I'll be right over for some cake. :razz:

Lianachan
2005-Dec-02, 09:46 AM
Happy Birthday! Sorry, I missed this post. I'll be right over for some cake. :razz:

Aargh - I missed it too. Belated well-wishings Mr the Ba'.