PDA

View Full Version : Former Canadian astronaut now a politician

TriangleMan
2005-Nov-30, 06:15 PM
Marc Garneau, former astronaut and chair of the Canadian Space Agency, is now a Liberal Party candidate in the upcoming Canadian election (http://www.cbc.ca/story/canadavotes2006/national/2005/11/30/garneau-liberals.html).

Regardless of political affiliation, I am glad to see people with strong science backgrounds trying to become elected officials. :clap:

SolusLupus
2005-Nov-30, 06:17 PM
Woooo!

I remember "Goodbye, Lenin"... this reminds me of that.

Argos
2005-Nov-30, 06:46 PM
It´s interesting. The future Brazilian astronaut moves, talks and acts like a politician. Maybe he´ll become one of them. I don´t have high hopes about it. Generally, people with science background cannot impose their agenda, and frustration is always a probable outcome of their venture.

Parrothead
2005-Nov-30, 07:06 PM
While I like seeing someone like Garneau run for office, imagine him sitting next to Ken Dryden in Parliament (science and sports side by side). I just don't like the process of "parachuting" candidates into ridings though.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-30, 08:02 PM
Yeah, kind of defeats the purpose of regional representation, doesn't it?

peter eldergill
2005-Nov-30, 08:06 PM
BTW Ken Dryden is a degree in law and was a practicing lawyer before getting into politics. I'm not sure what kind of lawyer, though

He also has written an interesting book on education, as well as a couple on hockey.

His populartiy can't hurt, be his also a trained politician. I don't know about Marc Garneau

Pete

TriangleMan
2005-Nov-30, 10:54 PM
Just to get this back more towards science (so the thread doesn't get locked) is anyone fluent in French? I'm wondering if Marc has a website up yet with statements regarding science funding or science education.

peter eldergill
2005-Nov-30, 10:57 PM
I'm sure Marc Garneau is fluent in English...

Pete

LurchGS
2005-Nov-30, 11:01 PM
Just to spin the wheel a little harder... Howard Cosell and Jim Varney (Earnest goes to...) were both successful lawyers, too

TriangleMan
2005-Nov-30, 11:12 PM
I'm sure Marc Garneau is fluent in English...
Well I was assuming that his constituents are not fluent in English, and since his main rival is Bloc Quebecois I assumed that French would be the main language of communication.

I admit though it is lazy of me to not look first to see if his statements or platforms will be available in both languages.

The Supreme Canuck
2005-Nov-30, 11:56 PM
I'd imagine they would be. He wouldn't be catering to the few Anglophone he has in his riding, and really, how much effort does a bilingual page take to write for a bilingual person with a bilingual staff?