PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Quotes Right

SkepticJ
2005-Dec-02, 07:40 AM
There's a couple of quotes from two different anime series that I remember the gist of but not the exact text. I know there must be some anime freaks here, with our nerd quotient, could you help me?

The first quote is from the episode Ag2O of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The quote is by Batou, towards the bad guy boxer. He says something like "Stop with the trash talk and lets do this!" What is the exact text?

The second quote is from Full Metal Alchemist, don't know the episode, but it's the one where Edward Elric fights the false prophet that passes off alchemy as acts of God. The quote by Ed is about "Why science is great and religion is a waste of time, especially compared to science"; something along the lines of what's in the quotes here, but far better worded. What's the exact text of that quote?

Thanks for the help in advance, to whoever knows.

SkepticJ
2005-Dec-05, 10:08 PM
If no one knows, do you know where I might find out? I've looked for scripts for the episodes, but have found none. Are there sites that have scripts for most shows and movies that have been made?

GDwarf
2005-Dec-05, 11:04 PM
Ah yes, FMA, artistic proof of Murphy's law, "If something can go wrong it will", only in FMA it's "If something can go wrong, it will, with lots of blood and/or people crying."

Anyways, you might want to try IMDB (www.imdb.com) and see if they have those quotes, if not I can't reccomend much, although both FMA and GitS: SAC are fairly popular, so you'll probably be able to find those lines somewhere.

Musashi
2005-Dec-06, 07:28 AM
I will have a chance to check the GitS quote tomorrow.

SkepticJ
2005-Dec-08, 07:09 AM
I will have a chance to check the GitS quote tomorrow.

How, you bought the disk or something? How much of it do you own? I'm so envious.

Musashi
2005-Dec-08, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I own both movies and almost all of the first series. Let me go put it in and come back with the quote. :)

Musashi
2005-Dec-08, 07:38 AM
All right. The English audio goes, "Enough with the trash talking! Let's get to it!"

The subtitle says "Enough with the trash talk! Start Fighting!"

SirBlack
2005-Dec-08, 02:40 PM
The second quote is from Full Metal Alchemist, don't know the episode, but it's the one where Edward Elric fights the false prophet that passes off alchemy as acts of God. The quote by Ed is about "Why science is great and religion is a waste of time, especially compared to science"; something along the lines of what's in the quotes here, but far better worded. What's the exact text of that quote?

The first two episodes of the series are where the brothers go up against the false priest Conero. I think you mean the scene in the first episode a little before the fight starts, where Edward is talking about alchemy and human transmuation with Roze.

All I have access to are fansubs right now, so this might be translated a quite differently than what you've heard elsewhere (though closer to the original japanese, in theory), but here's the relevant part of the conversation anyway:

*After Ed lists the elements that make up the human body*
Ed: "Current science knows this much, but there has not been a successful case of artificially creating a human body. Scientists have researched for what was missing for the past few hundred years. I believe their hard work is significant, unlike praying and waiting."
Ed: "Just as a side note, you can buy these elemental ingredients at the market with the pocket money of a child. Humans are made so cheaply."
Roze: "People are not things! Are you trying to commit balshphemy?"
Ed: "Alchemists are scientists. So they don't believe in an uncertain existence like God. Isn't it ironic that people like us are closest to God?"

SkepticJ
2005-Dec-09, 03:40 AM
Thanks you two, those sound right.:)

SkepticJ
2005-Dec-09, 03:47 AM
Yeah, I own both movies and almost all of the first series. Let me go put it in and come back with the quote. :)

I own neither, and none of the first or second series. *grin*
I want to get the first one, but I want it in that cool looking, clear plastic, maybe lexan?, case I've seen. I saw it for $30 dollars, but wouldn't you know it, I only had $20 with me. Haven't been back there since, kind of a long drive. The second one, they're going to do a dub eventually I hope, because I had to keep playing the movie back at lots of scenes with how fast the text went. I must have watched the movie something like 2 1/2 or more times in just one viewing all the way through!

SkepticJ
2005-Dec-09, 03:54 AM
*After Ed lists the elements that make up the human body*
Ed: "Current science knows this much, but there has not been a successful case of artificially creating a human body. Scientists have researched for what was missing for the past few hundred years. I believe their hard work is significant, unlike praying and waiting."
Ed: "Just as a side note, you can buy these elemental ingredients at the market with the pocket money of a child. Humans are made so cheaply."
Roze: "People are not things! Are you trying to commit balshphemy?"
Ed: "Alchemists are scientists. So they don't believe in an uncertain existence like God. Isn't it ironic that people like us are closest to God?"

Can you add that part, please. I know many of the elements in the body, and can look up the rest; but for the sake of accuracy of the quote, I'd like them in the order spoken on the show. I don't know that bit. *grin* Thanks.:)

SirBlack
2005-Dec-09, 05:21 AM
Can you add that part, please. I know many of the elements in the body, and can look up the rest; but for the sake of accuracy of the quote, I'd like them in the order spoken on the show. I don't know that bit. *grin* Thanks.:)

Sure, here's what he lists:

Water, 35 liters.
Carbon, 20 kg.
Ammonia, 4 liters.
Lime, 1.5kg.
Phosphorus, 800 g.
Salt, 250 g.
Niter, 100 g.
Sulfur, 80 g.
Fluorine, 7.5 g.
Iron, 5 g.
Silicon, 3 g.
And 15 other elements.

SkepticJ
2005-Dec-09, 03:02 PM
Sure, here's what he lists:

Water, 35 liters.
Carbon, 20 kg.
Ammonia, 4 liters.
Lime, 1.5kg.
Phosphorus, 800 g.
Salt, 250 g.
Niter, 100 g.
Sulfur, 80 g.
Fluorine, 7.5 g.
Iron, 5 g.
Silicon, 3 g.
And 15 other elements.

Does he say out those other 15, or he says "and 15 other elements"? If the former, can I have those in the order spoken on the show too? Thanks.:) Where exactly are you getting the quote from, because I never could find it.

SirBlack
2005-Dec-09, 11:08 PM
Does he say out those other 15, or he says "and 15 other elements"? If the former, can I have those in the order spoken on the show too? Thanks.:)

What I put was exactly was he says in the version I have. I guess whoever wrote the original dialog figured that actually listing the other 15 would get too tedious (which it probably would).

Where exactly are you getting the quote from, because I never could find it.

As I said, from a fansub (Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fansub), just in case you're not familiar with the term). So I just played that scene in the show and copied here what was in the English subtitles.