PDA

View Full Version : Mars Express Confirms Liquid Water Once Existed on Mars' Surface

Fraser
2005-Dec-02, 05:14 PM
SUMMARY: ESA's Mars Express has confirmed findings by the NASA Mars Exploration Rovers that liquid water must have been present on the surface of Mars for long periods. Mars Express gathered evidence with its OMEGA instrument; a visible and infrared spectrometer, which discovered large quantities of hydrated minerals across the surface of the Red Planet. These minerals, such as phyllosilicates and hydrated sulphates are created by the chemical alteration of rocks by liquid water.

View full article (http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/omega_martian_aquifiers.html)
What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

Igor
2005-Dec-14, 05:59 PM
Buy how can we be sure that life once existed on Mars?

Igor

Dragon Star
2005-Dec-18, 07:20 PM
Buy how can we be sure that life once existed on Mars?

Igor

By finding microbe fossils with a bot. But the fact that it did have liquid water is a big find, and it means that life probably existed there during some period of time.

Archa
2005-Dec-21, 09:29 PM
Tgere are also some sme speculations about that there has been a civilisation on Mars,the famous Mars face indicates that,I also read in some magazine much time ago which said hat no natural phenomena could make such a structure vith such precision,as the article continued to the part that we could have (homo sapiens) evolved from that civilasation,I personaly dont put much faith in that theory,allthough Mars looks a lot like a destroyed,used planet earth becomes slowly,-that would at least explain our auto-destructive nature,as I said - mere speculations,but I think that investigating and analyzing the bacteries and other Mars simple fossils would help us understand what happend there a long time ago,I look into it more detail and post some links if I find anything useful...

galacsi
2005-Dec-21, 09:41 PM
Archa sure the photo taken by Wiking look like a face , but new pictures with better resolution show no more than a hill. AFter all with time somebody can see anything in clouds no ?

I would bet a little money there is life on Mars , but for now we have no certitude. Some scientists claim Mars have wet in the past and other claim the contrary , so wait and see.

Jakenorrish
2005-Dec-22, 03:38 PM
Tgere are also some sme speculations about that there has been a civilisation on Mars,the famous Mars face indicates that,I also read in some magazine much time ago which said hat no natural phenomena could make such a structure vith such precision,as the article continued to the part that we could have (homo sapiens) evolved from that civilasation

I don't know which magazine you read this in, but its not true I'm afraid. The light and shadows as well as camera angle gave the impression of a face, but there is not one there. Whoever wrote the aforementioned article wasn't a scientist.

Hamlet
2005-Dec-22, 04:02 PM
Tgere are also some sme speculations about that there has been a civilisation on Mars,the famous Mars face indicates that,I also read in some magazine much time ago which said hat no natural phenomena could make such a structure vith such precision,

I'm afraid that whatever magazine you got that information from is very wrong. Have a look the Unmasking the Face on Mars (http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2001/ast24may_1.htm) article for side by side images of "The Face" taken in 1976, 1998 and 2001 (http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/extended_may2001/face/index.html). You will see that any semblance to a face evaporates at higher resolution. The truth is it's just a mesa that has some geologic features that give the appearance of a face at sufficiently low resolution.

as the article continued to the part that we could have (homo sapiens) evolved from that civilasation,
Well, there is no evidence of a civilization of any kind.

I personaly dont put much faith in that theory,allthough Mars looks a lot like a destroyed,used planet earth becomes slowly,-that would at least explain our auto-destructive nature,as I said - mere speculations,
Why do you say if looks like a destroyed planet? It looks very much like the result of eons of geologic and meteorlogic activity.

but I think that investigating and analyzing the bacteries and other Mars simple fossils would help us understand what happend there a long time ago,I look into it more detail and post some links if I find anything useful...
If we ever find bacteria or fossils on Mars it certainly will help us explain Martian history. Unfortunately, we don't have either to work with at the moment.