PDA

View Full Version : Edwards Air Force Base Air Show Photos

Melusine
2005-Dec-04, 06:39 PM
I didn't find this in a search, so sorry if it's been posted. I know many people here like airplanes, and some of these photos are very good. I like the moon shot one, the wall of fire one is cool, as are others. Check them out.

http://edwards.airshowjournal.com/2005/

The page is a bit slow to load if your in the Dial-up Dark Ages like me, but I think it's worth the wait.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-04, 06:55 PM
Purrrrty o_o

Dragon Star
2005-Dec-04, 07:09 PM
Indeed, great photos Melusine, thanks!

on a side note, is the Osprey still in commission?

mugaliens
2005-Dec-04, 07:26 PM
Wow! Great photographs!

I love airshows. Go to them when I can.

Metricyard
2005-Dec-04, 08:49 PM
Nice set of pictures. I miss the air shows we used to have over at Hansom Feild.

Great finale formation too!

Whatever happened to the harrier jets? Never see them at airshows much any more. I used to love those watching those things.

Moose
2005-Dec-04, 09:51 PM
There was a C-130 labelled as a "Combat Talon" rather than a Herc. Was that a mislabel, or am I missing something?

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-04, 11:46 PM
The MC-130E (Combat Talon I) and MC-130H (Combat Talon II) aircraft are modified versions of the standard Hercules.
See http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c130_variants.asp#mc130h for a description.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-05, 12:08 AM
Nice pics, amazing airshow!

I've never seen the B-2, B-52, F-22, F-117. I did see the B1-B :).

Nice thing that the reporter gets excited from the maneuvres of the Dutch F-16 display. The only F-16 demonstrations that I've seen are European F-16 demonstrations, including the Dutch. There isn't too much difference between those. Some like to keep the maneuvres "clean" while other like to combine, but I' didn't really notice moves that only 1 country did. Probably the European countries have taken the F-16 to its solo display limit, as it is the ultimate fighter for most countries.

I was amazed when I saw a MiG-29 doing a solo display. This isn't the best "cobra" plane, but it did pull a nice one! Nicely showing of against the F-16 :). The Mirage-2000 however was amazing. It combined the speed of the F-16 (though a little less brute force) with the curly curly displays of the slower jets like the Alpha Jet. The plane sometimes turned so fast you couldn't follow it :). But still, the "rocket start" if the Belgian and Dutch F-16's (clean config and full AB = more thrust than weight = ocket!!!) is soooo impressive.

In fact, many planes can be really impressive. The Alpha jet, even the Fouga magister do really beautiful displays. The Tornado and F-4 have such brute force. The Jaguar is a slick older jet. etcetc

But the most thrills from a solo display I get from the (Dutch, Belgian and uhm Danish?) F-16 solo displays I've seen. The combination of power and manoeuvrability: an AMAZING airframe! For the record: I've seen displays from these 3 countries their F-16's only, so it's not that only these stand out of the other F-16 displays :).

The F-16 can make such nice and amazingly high loops in no time, roll over and over, be so loud, so powerful, so fast, it's hard to get that we can build and fly these things. Pure beauty. Piloted fireworks, motorized ballet. You see the plane soaring right above the runway, focus on the aircraft as it rolls, pitches and rolls again and again, you zoom a bit out, and in those few seconds the plane reached a huge altitude! On it's back, dooooown roll roll roll straight out, speed up on the belly, tick side, tick back, tick side, tick belly again! Indeed, you should have seen it :).

Oh btw: do they really have permission to break the sound barrier on the air show of that site??? It's not allowed here. It's a sport amongst jets to go as fast as possible without breaking the barrier. 1000+ km/h is no exception. They go so fast your brain has problems interpreting the speed. And if you spot them from really far, a spot can become a fighter in no time :).

Moose
2005-Dec-05, 01:25 AM
The MC-130E (Combat Talon I) and MC-130H (Combat Talon II) aircraft are modified versions of the standard Hercules.
See http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c130_variants.asp#mc130h for a description.

Neat. I can tick off my "learnt something new today" checkbox. Thanks for the info and link. :)

Melusine
2005-Dec-05, 08:03 AM
Oh btw: do they really have permission to break the sound barrier on the air show of that site??? It's not allowed here. It's a sport amongst jets to go as fast as possible without breaking the barrier. 1000+ km/h is no exception. They go so fast your brain has problems interpreting the speed. And if you spot them from really far, a spot can become a fighter in no time.
I know Edwards AFB air shows allow it--they're out in the desert. My friend's brother was in charge of the F-16 program, oh, about the time the movie "Top Gun" was out and he had some cool home videos of them breaking the sound barrier. I was looking for where it's not allowed, and I guess it's not permitted at many or most air shows. Saw this discussion here:

Edwards does the traditional sonic boom to open the airshow each year. Up until 97', Chuck Yeager flew the F-15 thru the sound barrier. These days, I think the head of the Air Force Flight Test Center usually flies the F-15 thru the barrier. Its pretty awesome to be there in person - I think the altitude is somewhere around 20,000 feet when they do it, but nevertheless, its awesome.

In 2003, the atmosheric pressure was off or something, becasue that's the only time I've ever "not" heard the boom.
http://www.airshows.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=191&

On Pg 2, there's a good comment by Clubber, who is apparently a pilot in Canada, regarding this matter and two Vipers that went super over South Carolina, which could be heard for miles. I've only heard one sonic boom (for sure) in FL when a rocket was shot off. It's cool. :razz:

Nicolas
2005-Dec-05, 10:14 AM
I'm rather sure I heard sonic booms when I was little. From F-16's and possibly starfighters. It's strange as it wasn't allowed anymore when I was small, but still there seem to be multiple instances in which the jets would fly, uhm 4 km off and 600m high (!) and make the whole house shake with the booms. I've seen mach condensation cones form on multiple planes, in particular the B-1B when it flew over 1000 km/h but under the sound barrier.