PDA

View Full Version : Happy Tech-mas, Tech-nukkah, Tech-wanzaa!

Candy
2005-Dec-05, 09:24 PM
Happy Tech-mas, Tech-nukkah, Tech-wanzaa! (http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pub&dt=051205&cat=scitech&st=scitechworley_column_051203&src=abc)

OK, it's overkill, but you get the idea. According to the Consumer Electronics Association, 76 percent of Americans plan to give a tech gift this year.
I liked the Tech twist of this article, since I'm a Techie. I usually donít buy presents for others during the Holiday. I do, however, buy myself gifts and send thank you notes to others with a photo attached. Itís my way of giving the right gift. ;)

Swift
2005-Dec-05, 10:10 PM
Interesting, though I wonder if this is borderline lying with statistics. "76% of Americans plan to give a tech gift this year" (my bold). So if I buy 29 gifts, worth $1000 total, and one is a $20 USB drive, I'm part of the 76% that bought a tech gift. What is the percentage (by count or value) of all gifts, and how does that compare with previous years (TVs and radios are tech and have only been around for 70 years or so).

Candy
2005-Dec-05, 10:15 PM
Good question(s), Swift. Wow, if you think about it, almost every gift is Techy. I just noticed I spelled Techy, Techie. My bad.

Notice this gift...

The Dream Gift
Neiman Marcus IndyCar Simulator: $65,000 www.indianaracing.net

You need to have one drool-worthy gift that gets you thinking about Christmas for the Rich and Famous. Well, the Neiman-Marcus IndyCar Simulator has pools of drool all around it. This is a life-size replica of the IndyCar used by Dan Wheldon to win the 2005 Indianapolis 500 Race. It has been tricked out with a big flat-screen monitor and it runs the IndyCar Series 2005 video game. You choose which driver you want to be, which track you want to race, and away you go. All the life-size controls in the car run the game and you couldn't ask for a more realistic gaming simulator.
These are totally awesome!

Enzp
2005-Dec-06, 08:51 AM
Techies go techy. Film at eleven.

Dear Candy-
I just git myself a tech gift - one of those little plug-in USB flash memory things. Holds a Gigabyte and is smaller than a BIC lighter. Now my tech files can go with me. (I might be a geek...) Thanks very much and have a wonderful Techmas.
Your pal,
Enzo.

Like that? A moment ago it was just a purchase, but now it is a lovely seasonal gift.

Candy
2005-Dec-06, 11:45 AM
My USB memory is bigger than your USB memory. :p

Enzp
2005-Dec-07, 08:03 AM
But can it pee its name in the snow?

Candy
2005-Dec-07, 08:12 AM
No. :lol:

Enzp
2005-Dec-07, 08:45 AM
Well...

so there.

mid
2005-Dec-07, 10:51 AM
" The Dream Gift
Neiman Marcus IndyCar Simulator"

Why would anyone buy that for that silly price? A Logitech GT Force Pro, a chair to bolt it to, and a decent PC to play the game on should come in at a small fraction of the price, and the rest could be spend on a sports car and some track days to do things properly.

Swift
2005-Dec-07, 04:06 PM
You must work for Microsoft, since most people would consider that a problem for a USB drive, not a feature.
;)

mugaliens
2005-Dec-07, 05:14 PM
Here's what I want:

Neiman Marcus IndyCar Simulator: $65,000

Here's what I can afford to buy:

Airzooka $15

"The maximum score has been 280 on my assault course. I expect you to do better!"

Candy
2005-Dec-07, 10:19 PM
I want a new computer with high speed internet.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-08, 01:17 AM
We're getting a 150Mbps(shared) internet connection where I live, and I have 6 PC's running next to me already, so I'm good.