My favorate bands are:
Greenday
Good charlotte
Coldplay

in no particular order

Gruesome
2005-Dec-06, 04:37 PM
Green Day's cool.

Evanescence is my current fav. I'm jones-ing for the new album.

Acoustic Alchemy is always near the top of my list.

I suppose I'd get my head caved in if I didn't mention Pious Monger...

Jakenorrish
2005-Dec-06, 04:50 PM
Beatles, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys, Love, Alice Cooper, The Prodigy, the Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, and much much more!!

Lianachan
2005-Dec-06, 04:50 PM
I like pretty much all kinds if music, except country.

I have music from Ice Cube to Mozart, with many stops along the way. My father is a professional musician (guitarist), so I've always been surrounded by music (and am personally acquainted with many of the world's top guitarists).

I do have every album ever released by Prince, and a couple of thousand of his records over all. I used to collect them in my youth. I have a similar number of records by other artists.

(Note - by "records", I mean vinyl/cd/cassette)

JohnW
2005-Dec-06, 05:20 PM
The front of our house is essentially a CD warehouse with a couple of chairs. (The back of the house is rapidly turning into an eyepiece warehouse).

Last five up on the iPod this morning:
Charles Mingus
Roxy Music
Sun Ra
Peter Brotzmann
Lee Perry

SeanF
2005-Dec-06, 05:24 PM
Coldplay
I suddenly have a quote from the movie The 40 Year Old Virgin popping into my head, but I'm not going to say it. ;)

(Says the guy who put the new Enya CD on his Christmas wish list....)

Moose
2005-Dec-06, 05:27 PM
I do have every album ever released by Prince, and a couple of thousand of his records over all. I used to collect them in my youth. I have a similar number of records by other artists.

So it's your fault! ( :razz: )

Kidding! Kidding! Not the face!

Yeah, so I generally like music if it (or at least its genre) is properly aged. Say about fifteen years or so.

My old '80s rock is getting a lot more play these days.

In general, though, I loathe country music and have little use for rap with violent imagery. I am, however, finding I'm developping a limited taste for 80s rap, which I discovered while playing Vice City.

Go fig.

I do have a broad-ranging taste through the classical and opera genres, right through more recent stuff in swing, blues, and jazz. I'm less fond of jazz jams and fussy about the solos I like, though. I also have a (perverse, in my mind) taste for certain broadway showtunes.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-06, 05:37 PM
I don't know where to start. I have CD's, cassettes and vinyl in all genres.

I'll just sum up some of the artist I own multiple albums of:

Fleetwood Mac
Mike Oldfield
Jean Michel Jarre
Vangelis
Jethro Tull
Eurythmics
Dire Straits
OMD
INXS
Moby
(in no particular order)

Then, there are a lot of artists of which I own 1 album, and even more that I like but don't have any albums of.

enginelessjohn
2005-Dec-06, 05:45 PM
In general, though, I loathe country music and have little use for rap with violent imagery. I am, however, finding I'm developping a limited taste for 80s rap, which I discovered while playing Vice City.

The trick with country music seems to be to avoid the stuff produced by people wearing hats... Quite fond of the alt-country thing that came along about 10 years ago but never really got big or went away. Just sort of lurked.... People like Wilco, The Jayhawks.

As for hiphop, might I be so bold to suggest listening to The Roots. Hiphop with something that assumes there is more to life than waving jewellery from the back of a limo...

Cheers
John

Moose
2005-Dec-06, 05:55 PM
The trick with country music seems to be to avoid the stuff produced by people wearing hats... Quite fond of the alt-country thing that came along about 10 years ago but never really got big or went away. Just sort of lurked.... People like Wilco, The Jayhawks.

I found the magnitude of my distaste for country increases proportionally to the number of times the word "heart" appears in the song. [Edit: In the chorus, it counts double. Triple "word" score if it appears in the song title and triple again if the song title is a lame pun.]

I kind of like early Kenny Rogers, though.

I'll see if I can take a listen for The Roots sometime and try 'em on for size.

Monique
2005-Dec-06, 06:27 PM
For now I like:
Evanescence
Madeleine Peyroux

Nicolas
2005-Dec-06, 06:28 PM
I found the magnitude of my distaste for country increases proportionally to the number of times the word "heart" appears in the song. [Edit: In the chorus, it counts double. Triple "word" score if it appears in the song title and triple again if the song title is a lame pun.]

I kind of like early Kenny Rogers, though.

I'll see if I can take a listen for The Roots sometime and try 'em on for size.

So if it had been Country, I would have blown the counter with "a good heart these days is hard to find"? :D

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-06, 07:09 PM
Iced Earth, as well... especially the songs in their Horror album, whatever it's called. Damien and Frankenstein are shaping up my latest game idea.

Nightwish

Machinae Supremacy

A few others, but none come to mind 'sides those two.

Monique
2005-Dec-06, 07:17 PM
Iced Earth, as well... especially the songs in their Horror album, whatever it's called. Damien and Frankenstein are shaping up my latest game idea.

Nightwish

Machinae Supremacy

A few others, but none come to mind 'sides those two.
Nightwish is good also. I like Over The Hills And Far Away very much.

SolusLupus
2005-Dec-06, 07:45 PM
I prefer "Once". It's got a lot of dark songs that're more my thing; I kinda like dark music, it puts me in the mood for my stories. :D

banquo's_bumble_puppy
2005-Dec-06, 07:58 PM
I like the current rock revival....

groups...Foo Fighters, Green Day, The Trews, White Stripes, and a cast of many more....

turbo-1
2005-Dec-06, 08:03 PM
"This Time" Dwight Yoakum
"Fundamental" Bonnie Raitt
"Live at the BBC" Fleetwood Mac (original blues line-up plus Danny Kirwan)
"Live" Allison Krause and Union Station
"Come on Home" Boz Scaggs
"No Frontiers" Mary Black
"Original Singles 1965-1967" Byrds
"Smokin'" Humble Pie
and many more

Parrothead
2005-Dec-06, 08:08 PM
Jimmy Buffett (obviously), The Jam, The (English) Beat, Specials, OMD, Police, Talking Heads, Squeeze, Bowie...

A load of stuff that was considered "alternative" in the 80's (see track listings of Hardest Hits 1-5 here (http://www.discogs.com/label/SPG+Music+Productions+Ltd.)), for an idea. One of my fav albums is Circle & the Square by Red Box.

Country - Alabama, Johnny Horton, Stompin' Tom, Johnny Cash,Conway Twitty/Loretta Lynn, Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks, Shania Twain ...

Canadian Acts such as Blue Peter, Blue Rodeo, Great Big Sea, National Velvet, The Rovers, Neil Young, Images in Vogue ...

Classic Acts such as The Who, Supertramp, Styx, ELO, King Crimson, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Beatles, Jethro Tull, Steppenwolf, CCR ...

Motown

Buddy Holly, Elvis, Harry Belafonte...

Some Jazz, Blues, "Big Band", Classical and Opera.

Mood dictates what I play.

EvilBob
2005-Dec-07, 12:14 AM
<snip>My old '80s rock is getting a lot more play these days.<snip> I hate to add a 'Me too' post but... Me too!

Don't have an iPod, but the CD-RW in my discman for the walk to work this week has a selection of mostly Rolling Stones, AC/DC, Cinderella, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, ZZ Top and Lita Ford (anyone remember her?). That's pretty much my taste. I like most kinds of music though, with the usual exceptions of Country and anything that's built on a sample of someone else's originality. Oh, and Celine Dion and her ilk.

Country's a bit like Heavy Metal - there's not usually an in-between. You either love it or you hate it.

Coldplay I've often wondered who bought their records...

The Mangler
2005-Dec-07, 12:32 AM
My favorite is probably KMFDM (that's where my avatar is from)
I like just about everything though (except rap, can't stand it)
Another group I've been listening to a lot lately is Apocalyptica, it's four cellos playing Metallica, Pantera, a few others (can't remember who) & a lot of their own stuff.

Theoretician
2005-Dec-07, 12:44 AM
All kinds really. I guess, in particular, U2, Coldplay, Foo Fighters and Blink 182

Maksutov
2005-Dec-07, 12:50 AM
This topic has come up a number of times in the past.

A couple of my replies may be found here (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=394560&postcount=23) and here. (http://www.bautforum.com/showpost.php?p=296584&postcount=29)

No rap, hippity hop, gangster, or other ghetto/violence/abuse of women glorifications, please.

Egarim
2005-Dec-07, 01:42 AM
Probably alone with my picks on this board but my favorites would be:
Tool
A Perfect Circle
Spineshank
Static-X
Ill Ni˝o
Mudvayne

TheBlackCat
2005-Dec-07, 02:06 AM
I listen to a lot of genres, but generally end up with mostly rock and techno/electronica (rock/techno hybrids are the best). I also have some modern classical music (from soundtracks), pop, sould, country, punk, alternative, hard rock, metal, Folk (mostly funny ones), and R&B. I have a number of techno remixes of extremely cheesy songs that I would never listen to the original version of but I love the techno remixes. I have music in 4 languages from probaly 7 countries. I also have a bunch of movie soundtracks, both traditional instrumental music and popular music licensed for movies. I also have a lot of TV theme music, massive amounts of video game music (close to 100 songs on my playlist and several times that that I don't listen to regularly, mostly from the Zelda and Metroid series), and quite a bit of anime music I listen to.

In the end my favorite bands and musicians are:
Ayumi Hamasaki (I have more of her music on my playlist than anyone else, 60 songs)
Billy Joel (I've got more CD's of his than anyone else, 13 of them)
Magumi Hayashibara
Linkin Park
Michelle Branch
Evanescence
Jimmy Buffett (I like all his music, but particularly his serious stuff is extremely good)
Gone to Earth (my old roommate's band, they have been doing pretty well lately)

I love Ayumi Hamasaki's music, she is definitely my favorite artist, but it is extremely hard to get in the US because it was never published here (usually going for about $40-$50 for a CD, or $20-$30 for a single). Luckily I was at a music store last week, and was going to buy one her CDs that was listed at about $30 (the other one was a 2-disc set they had listed at $50). It turns out it had been discounted to $3.15, and the $50 one had been discounted to $3.50. It was a great deal, and I have been listening to the CDs pretty much non-stop since then. I have only been able to get 5 CDs by her up to this point, including these three and one single, but they are the best CDs I own.

Josh
2005-Dec-07, 02:26 AM
I like all sorts of music (not including country and western). I like break beat, trance, drum n bass, heavy metal, death metal, classical, gregorian chanting, mongolian throat music, etc, etc, etc ...

BUT .. best band EVER is ...

Tool

(Not least of all because their drummer is a pretty damn good mathematician and likes to inject that into the music.)

teri tait
2005-Dec-07, 02:37 AM
I like classic rock, my daughter has dragged a bit forward in time with her music so of more recent groups I like:

Train
Green Day
Nickleback
Mouse
Finch

There's another group I want to add to this list but the name escapes me. They have an album, I mean CD, called "Bowling For Soup"

Maksutov
2005-Dec-07, 02:57 AM
[edit]There's another group I want to add to this list but the name escapes me. They have an album, I mean CD, called "Bowling For Soup"Sticks? http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/566/iconwink6tn.gif

EvilBob
2005-Dec-07, 03:13 AM
There's another group I want to add to this list but the name escapes me. They have an album, I mean CD, called "Bowling For Soup" I think the band is called 'Bowling for Soup (http://www.bowlingforsoup.com/)'. They had that '1985' song earlier this year.

Egarim
2005-Dec-07, 03:16 AM
BUT .. best band EVER is ...

Tool
\o/ Can't wait for the new album sometime next year. Been addicted to Ănima the past few days playing it over and over again.

teri tait
2005-Dec-07, 03:23 AM
My dad turned me and my daughter onto Enigma, they rock!

LurchGS
2005-Dec-07, 03:35 AM
Bach to Black Sabbath.
Showtunes if you count Gilbert & Sullivan
Blues - (Chicago and Miississippi River - less enamoured of Bayou Blues)
New Orleans Jazz
Non-Italian Opera
Native American Drum songs
Blue Man Group
Lovepump (really raunchy garage band)

Rap, Country & Western, Celine Dion... that's not music, that's self pity on steroids

----------------------------

Gregorian Chants, the only *real* music!

Josh
2005-Dec-07, 05:20 AM
\o/ Can't wait for the new album sometime next year. Been addicted to &#198;nima the past few days playing it over and over again.

There's an entire army of Tool fans waiting (and websites dedicated to the perpetuation of false release dates, rumours and general disinformation). Lateralus is a brilliant album. have you read any of the stuff on the alternate playlist in Lateralus? The song, Lateralus, and the entire album, is based on the golden ratio (in my sig) and the fibonacci sequence. a google search will tell you more about it.

TheBlackCat
2005-Dec-07, 05:37 AM
My dad turned me and my daughter onto Enigma, they rock!
Return to Innocence rocks! My dad has Cross of Changes, it has some good music but also some very disturbing stuff (I Love You, I'll Kill You being a prime example).

Egarim
2005-Dec-07, 05:49 AM
... have you read any of the stuff on the alternate playlist in Lateralus? The song, Lateralus, and the entire album, is based on the golden ratio (in my sig) and the fibonacci sequence. a google search will tell you more about it.
Yeah, I've seen some stuff on re-ordering the songs. I have a text file with the track orders that I've come across. Have'nt really tried them out yet but I just popped Lateralus into my computer so I'll check it out.

Josh
2005-Dec-07, 06:25 AM
Yeah, I've seen some stuff on re-ordering the songs. I have a text file with the track orders that I've come across. Have'nt really tried them out yet but I just popped Lateralus into my computer so I'll check it out.

If you can get rid of the dead time between songs then you should hear them flow into one another a lot better in the alternate playlist(s)

Swift
2005-Dec-07, 06:29 AM
Like many here my music tastes range over a huge spectrum. I probably listen most to rock, folk, blues, swing, classic show tunes (South Pacific and West Side Story, not Phantom). There are even a few rap songs that are ok. In no particular order, some notable or just different stuff I can listen to forever....

Carole King (who would have guessed that)
Josh Stone
Squirrel Nut Zippers
The Be Good Tanyas
John Cougar Mellencamp (sorry, he will always have the Cougar)
Paul Simon
Mary Chapin Carpenter
The Indigo Girls
Bobby McFerrin

Of all the things that humans do, I think music is one of the most wonderful and is always my escape when I'm feeling down.

Egarim
2005-Dec-07, 06:34 AM
If you can get rid of the dead time between songs then you should hear them flow into one another a lot better in the alternate playlist(s)
I have a plugin for Winamp that does that.

Josh
2005-Dec-07, 06:38 AM
I have a plugin for Winamp that does that.
Excellent. let me know what you think! (you have two alternate playlists, yeah?)

Big Brother Dunk
2005-Dec-07, 06:40 AM
Bob Dylan
Leonard Cohen
Gordon Lightfoot
Van Morrison

Maksutov
2005-Dec-07, 06:41 AM
Like many here my music tastes range over a huge spectrum. I probably listen most to rock, folk, blues, swing, classic show tunes (South Pacific and West Side Story, not Phantom). There are even a few rap songs that are ok. In no particular order, some notable or just different stuff I can listen to forever....

Carole King (who would have guessed that)[edit]Ever notice how the melodic and rhythmic elements, and lyrics, from this part of So Long & Thanks for All the Fish

So long, so long, so long, so long, so long
So long, so long, so long, so long, so long

So long, so long and thanks
for all the fishare a close match to this part of The Porpoise Song?

But the porpoise is laughing good-bye, good-bye
Good-bye, good-bye, good-byeMore than coincidence I would think.

paulie jay
2005-Dec-07, 06:49 AM
I pretty much like anything except for hokey Country music.

I particularly like The Beatles, Elvis Costello, Kate Bush, They Might Be Giants, Sly & The Family Stone, and TISM.

enginelessjohn
2005-Dec-07, 10:55 AM
Has anyone mentioned Arcade Fire yet? Jaw droppingly good....

Cheers
John

Swift
2005-Dec-07, 03:50 PM
Has anyone mentioned Arcade Fire yet? Jaw droppingly good....

Cheers
John
What kind of music are they?

mid
2005-Dec-07, 04:51 PM
According to Last.fm, I've recently been listening to a lot of dEUS, Radiohead, a-ha, Aphex Twin, Underworld and Captain Beefheart. Just a bit of a spread there, then.

enginelessjohn
2005-Dec-07, 08:56 PM
What kind of music are they?

A sort of indie-wall-of-sound-epic type of thing. Tuneful rather than thrashy. One of their songs is available (legally) free from the download section of Amazon.com , and I highly recommend it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00092QGMK/qid%3D1133985147/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-3925537-5126247

Enjoy!

Cheers
John

Nicolas
2005-Dec-08, 12:02 AM
I just did some tweaking to my turntable and put on Kate Bush - The Kick Inside.

This record has such strong songs on it! And strong voices - that why I needed a little more tweaking. Still not perfect an sich, but perfectly suitable to enjoy this powerful music.

HenrikOlsen
2005-Dec-08, 01:42 AM
I'm into almost everything except house and hip-hop which I find, with very few notable exceptions, to be mindnumbingly boring.

Egarim
2005-Dec-08, 05:18 AM
Excellent. let me know what you think! (you have two alternate playlists, yeah?)
After listening through a couple different orders (The Holy Gift, The Lateralus Prophecy and a 3rd unamed one) I preferred this one, '6,7,5,8,4,9,3,10,2,11,1,12,13', The Holy Gift, over the other two and the original order.

peteshimmon
2005-Dec-08, 08:25 PM
I am grateful for so much although to be
honest, I think decent pop came to an end in
Dec 1975! A function of getting old I suppose.
(but perhaps a valid objective judgement:)
I can just remember something from when I was
a kid. "Get out of here with that Boom Boom-Boom"
by Phil Harris in 1948. (Baloo in Jungle Book).
Having read the lyrics thanks to Google, I
now see it was a warning that went unheeded.
We have to suffer the moronic thump thump thump
too much. Ah well....I did like some examples
myself!

Doodler
2005-Dec-08, 08:34 PM
Evanescence - I've managed to get some of their European releases before Falling. She's got the most incredible voice.

Linkin Park
Nickelback
Disturbed
Theory of a Deadman (Ain't No Surprise... Best. Video. Ever.)
Breaking Benjamin
Def Leppard
The Darkness (yeah, annoying vocals, but the band is awesome)
Switchfoot

CRHTO
2005-Dec-08, 08:52 PM
I pretty much like anything except for hokey Country music.

I particularly like The Beatles, Elvis Costello, Kate Bush, They Might Be Giants, Sly & The Family Stone, and TISM.

Far too few people know who Kate Bush is when I mention how much I love her.

I've been into alot of cloassic rock lately, and alot of Bob Dylan. I like music of any genre, though, as long as it has meaning and passion behind it.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-08, 09:23 PM
Far too few people know who Kate Bush is when I mention how much I love her.

I've been into alot of cloassic rock lately, and alot of Bob Dylan. I like music of any genre, though, as long as it has meaning and passion behind it.

Here you've got a 21 year old playing Kate Bush vinyl :)

Josh
2005-Dec-09, 01:52 AM
After listening through a couple different orders (The Holy Gift, The Lateralus Prophecy and a 3rd unamed one) I preferred this one, '6,7,5,8,4,9,3,10,2,11,1,12,13', The Holy Gift, over the other two and the original order.

Yep! that's my favourite too ... don't you love how the end of Parabol/Parabola flows into Schizm?? Also, don't think i've heard the 3rd .. what's the order?

Egarim
2005-Dec-09, 04:12 AM
Yep! that's my favourite too ... don't you love how the end of Parabol/Parabola flows into Schizm?? Also, don't think i've heard the 3rd .. what's the order?
Yeah, definitely liked Schism playing after Parabol/Parabola alot more then before them. The album just feels alot more balanced too.
The 3rd order's '1,2,3,5,8,13,4,6,7,9,10,11,12'. From the Lateralus Wikipedia entry. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lateralus)

sarongsong
2005-Dec-09, 04:22 AM
Mick's phrasing of the chorus to 'Biggest Mistake', from the Stones 'A Bigger Bang', is my current ear-worm:
"...and I think I just made the biggest mistake of my life..."
Looks rather drab in print---pure genius in performance.
Oh, and Diana Krall's new Christmas Songs CD.

Titana
2005-Dec-09, 05:41 AM
Surprised that i have not seen one post on this thread that mentioned at least one of my favorite groups. Does any one know of Air Supply, Eagles, Santana, Beatles ( ok that one was mentioned), Creedence, UB 40, etc. etc. Those are only a few to mention. I usually go for all the oldies but goodies kind of music. I see that many don&#180;t like country music, i dont really either, but i do recall just one person that sings country that i really liked and that was Kenny Rogers.

Titana.

sarongsong
2005-Dec-09, 06:27 AM
Ah, you'd have loved this concert (http://deanoman.com/deannews0300.htm)! The highlight for me was John Fogarty belting out "Fortunate Son", with Lincoln sitting right behind him.

Titana
2005-Dec-09, 06:49 AM
Ah, you'd have loved this concert (http://deanoman.com/deannews0300.htm)! The highlight for me was John Fogarty belting out "Fortunate Son", with Lincoln sitting right behind him.

That must have been very interesting. Not to long ago, Kenny Rodgers presented a concert at a place called The Cocopah Casino, that is not to far from where i live.

Titana.

mid
2005-Dec-09, 01:06 PM
I am grateful for so much although to be
honest, I think decent pop came to an end in
Dec 1975! A function of getting old I suppose.

As The Word put it recently, there are many people who feel like this, but the problem of finding good new music is not one of availability, but navigation. There is still good music of many genres, you've just got to find it.

Even if you can't, the new 30th anniversary box (with documentary and live DVDs) of Springsteen's Born To Run is a must purchase.

Oh, and Titana - I'd be shocked and stunned if people haven't heard of The Beatles, irrespective of whether they would list them as one of their favorites or not.

SG-1 Fan
2005-Dec-09, 04:38 PM
Cowboy Junkies (hands down favorite)
Over the Rhine
Natalie Merchant
The Doors
Pink Floyd
Jethro Tull

No rap or country

peteshimmon
2005-Dec-09, 05:19 PM
Well mid, I said I was grateful and one of the things to be grateful for is
the compact disc. I have most of the good classical greats. A perfect day
years ago was getting in after a good ride on a Summers day, having a cold
dip then a meal and relaxing to Mahlers forth followed by Faures requiem.
That brings spiritual peace. Too old to repeat it dammit, got to have the
whole package, tired and relaxed with fresh images of green lanes in the
mind. A lot of pop has bucked me up over the years but nowadays I am
afraid I just regard the stuff as badly recorded with the noise of some
blighter putting a shed together intruding. Badly insulated studios I
suppose. Actually I was on a course some years ago where we had a
training film. Afterwards I muttered about the horrible banging in the
background "music". I was speaking to someone who played drums for
a local band however. After the clanging subsided he explained it was
some famous pop bloke in the eighties who gave drums more promenance
instead of being in the background. Where they belong!

five_distinct
2005-Dec-09, 05:59 PM
Drum and bass in general.....
artists would include Dieselboy, Ed Rush & Optical, Optiv, and so on and so forth

Nine Inch Nails
Buck 65
Tool/A Perfect Circle
Retro 80s electro/synthpop .. wooo!

And if you feel like listening to some of my music -- It's electro mixed with britpop kinda..I guess.(I am the band):

Five Distinct Lines - Oh You
http://s12.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1MY2GD1PRCYOB3LUI0G40CZ89C

edit: some of you might notice one of the samples I used through the track as the "Sounds of Saturn" released earlier this year by Nasa.

Wolverine
2005-Dec-09, 06:08 PM
In no particular order:

Eric Johnson
Bela Fleck (and/or the Flecktones)
Dave Weckl Band
Stevie Ray Vaughan
John Coltrane
Van Halen
Yes
Dream Theater
Kansas
Rush
Rainbow

mugaliens
2005-Dec-09, 06:12 PM
I'm retro. Beatles, Stones, Joplin, Doors, Boston, Zeppelin, some classical for contrast (thought not at the same time!).

Titana
2005-Dec-09, 06:19 PM
As The Word put it recently, there are many people who feel like this, but the problem of finding good new music is not one of availability, but navigation. There is still good music of many genres, you've just got to find it.

Even if you can't, the new 30th anniversary box (with documentary and live DVDs) of Springsteen's Born To Run is a must purchase.

Oh, and Titana - I'd be shocked and stunned if people haven't heard of The Beatles, irrespective of whether they would list them as one of their favorites or not.

First of all i never said nobody has never heard of them. I said i am surprised that no one mentiond it as their favorite. Two different things.......

Titana.

ktesibios
2005-Dec-09, 06:23 PM
What's currently loaded into my car CD changer would probably serve as a representative sample of the sort of music I like, so:

1. Leo Kottke, Live
2. John Fahey, City of Refuge
3. The Dead Milkmen, Stoney's Extra Stout (pig)
4. Fairport Convention, a compilation album whose title I forget
5. Michael Chapman, Fully Qualified Survivor
6. edo, Alien Death Taxi

Disclaimer: I engineered #3 and #6. But I really like the records anyway. ;)

paulie jay
2005-Dec-10, 12:35 AM
I'm sorry Titana, - but Air Supply??? http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/e055.gif

LurchGS
2005-Dec-10, 12:45 AM
Air Supply - a product of the Denver music scene (actually, out of Boulder, I think).

Not that I would ever listen to them, mind you.

There are some musicians who's work shall never grace my turntable/CD player:

Tchiakovski
Bruce Springsteen
Van Halen

There are others, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

(oh, and I've run into people who've never heard of the Doors)

paulie jay
2005-Dec-10, 12:51 AM
No, Air Supply were Australian!

http://www.airsupplymusic.com/

And they're still at it!

Titana
2005-Dec-10, 04:29 AM
I'm sorry Titana, - but Air Supply??? http://www.cosgan.de/images/midi/frech/e055.gif

Did you try to say you dont know the group Paulie jay???

Titana.

Titana
2005-Dec-10, 04:35 AM

And they're still at it!

Thats right, they are Australian and they are still at it. :lol: Their first international exposure came in the late 70s, when Rod Stewart had them as his opening act on a North American tour.

There are so many well knowned songs by Air Supply: Lost in love, All out of love, Two less lonely people in the world, Here i am......etc.....etc....

Titana.

Titana
2005-Dec-10, 04:42 AM
Air Supply - a product of the Denver music scene (actually, out of Boulder, I think).

Not that I would ever listen to them, mind you.

Tchiakovski
Bruce Springsteen
Van Halen

There are others, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

(oh, and I've run into people who've never heard of the Doors)

Nope, not out of boulder. As you have seen already.........And maby you have listened to them and just dont know it....

Titana.

Cl1mh4224rd
2005-Dec-10, 05:12 AM
Wow. No love for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I know they do mostly Christmas music, but their Beethoven's Last Night album is great.

I don't really have favorites bands as such. I just kind of evaluate individual songs as I hear them, since my taste for music changes fairly often. Still, I'd have to say [old] Metallica is the closest thing I have to a favorite band.

There are a number of videogames with some excellent music, in my opinion. The Command & Conquer series has some great electronic/industrial music by Frank Klepacki. Nobuo Uematsu has done some excellent work for the Final Fantasy series, among others.

Evanescence: Gets a definite thumbs up from me.
Blue Man Group: Hell yeah. :)

I also have a couple of CDs from Disturbed and Sevendust.

With the exception of rap and country, I'm pretty much all over the place...

paulie jay
2005-Dec-10, 05:17 AM
Thats right, they are Australian and they are still at it. :lol: Their first international exposure came in the late 70s, when Rod Stewart had them as his opening act on a North American tour.

There are so many well knowned songs by Air Supply: Lost in love, All out of love, Two less lonely people in the world, Here i am......etc.....etc....

Titana.

In fact they had already split up on the way home from an American tour when Lost In Love became a massive hit and they had to reform :)

They also has to fight their producer over All Out Of Love. They wanted to include their original lyrics which were apparently form a Robin Hood rock opera. "I'm all out of love, I want to arrest you...". The producer wasn't so keen!

Other hits
Every Woman In The World, Even The Nights Are Better, Love and Other Bruises, The One That You Love (which everyone gets mixed up with Here I Am).

Oh I know them alright :lol:

LurchGS
2005-Dec-10, 05:21 AM

And they're still at it!

argh! glad I'm not a DJ! I was thinking Firefall (I have ALWAYS got those two bands confused)

paulie jay
2005-Dec-10, 05:23 AM
Two bands of equal wussiness! Amazing! :lol:

Titana
2005-Dec-10, 05:25 AM
argh! glad I'm not a DJ! I was thinking Firefall (I have ALWAYS got those two bands confused)

There you go! :clap:

Titana.

sarongsong
2005-Dec-10, 05:56 AM
...Those are only a few to mention. I usually go for all the oldies but goodies kind of music...Got room for Roy Orbison?

Titana
2005-Dec-10, 07:02 AM
Got room for Roy Orbison?

Oh, sure. He is already included in my oldies but goodies collection. My father was a Roy Orbison fan all the way. Many of Roy Orbison songs kind a brings me good memories of when i was still a kid because back then my father would constantly listen to his music. Some of the songs that i can mention that i really like is, Crying, In dreams, Only the Lonely, (which was one of his major hits) Oh pretty woman...etc..

Titana.

sarongsong
2005-Dec-10, 07:33 AM
...and the one that launched his career---"Ooby-Dooby!"
My ultimate 'If-I'm-stuck-on-a-desert island-with-only-one-musical-choice' scenario, tho, would have to be Pink Floyd's 'Dark Side of the Moon'.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-10, 07:47 AM
no no no... "wish you were here" is far and away the best thing PF ever did.

sarongsong
2005-Dec-10, 07:55 AM
Good point; they just about nailed everything they put out, and there were rumors around the time of the G8 Concerts they may be re-forming with Roger!

Nicolas
2005-Dec-12, 12:10 PM

Tchiakovski
Bruce Springsteen
Van Halen

Bruce Springsteen is gracing my turntable at the moment. I've had "I'm on Fire" on at really sick volume levels in the past :). The background instruments sound really beautiful to me. I think that the complete "Born in the USA" LP is an excellent piece of music (except for the slightly clipping vocals in "dancing in the dark" and "your hometown"), and I gladly erode my turntable needle into its grooves :).

SeanF
2005-Dec-12, 03:54 PM
Other hits
Every Woman In The World, Even The Nights Are Better, Love and Other Bruises, The One That You Love (which everyone gets mixed up with Here I Am).

Oh I know them alright :lol:
How can you talk about Air Supply without mentioning Making Love (Out of Nothing at All)?! :D

paulie jay
2005-Dec-13, 12:01 AM
Oh, I was just wallowing in the syrup. I'd forgotten about that one! :)

LurchGS
2005-Dec-13, 06:49 AM
Bruce Springsteen is gracing my turntable at the moment. I've had "I'm on Fire" on at really sick volume levels in the past :). The background instruments sound really beautiful to me. I think that the complete "Born in the USA" LP is an excellent piece of music (except for the slightly clipping vocals in "dancing in the dark" and "your hometown"), and I gladly erode my turntable needle into its grooves :).

tsk - you are just so... wrong!

Nicolas
2005-Dec-13, 08:14 AM
We all now one can't discuss taste: it just is a good albuml ;) :D

Dave Mitsky
2005-Dec-13, 09:19 AM
tsk - you are just so... wrong!

You're certainly entitled to your opinions but I'm curious as to what's your problem with Bruce. He (and the E Street Band) is one of the best live acts I've ever seen. I rank only the Rolling Stones higher in that regard.

Likewise, is Tchaikovsky's music really so objectionable? I saw a performance of "The Nutcracker Suite" by a local ballet company on Sunday and really enjoyed hearing some of his melodies again.

http://www.scena.org/lsm/sm5-4/NutcrackerSuite-en.htm

http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album/album.cgi?ALBUMID=1671816&type=cl

He's ranked as the third best composer of the Romantic Era at http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best-classic-comp2.html

Dave Mitsky

mid
2005-Dec-13, 10:28 AM
Personally, I wouldn't rank the Stones even close to Springsteen either as a live act or on record. Though to be fair, I've only seen the old, past it Stones and not them from before they lost the plot sometime in the 70s.

Parrothead
2005-Dec-13, 04:31 PM
Wow. No love for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I know they do mostly Christmas music, but their Beethoven's Last Night album is great.

Going to see their live show for the third year straight, tonight. Last year was a bonus as I managed to get front row seats. They have one of the best light/pyro shows I have ever seen. I agree about the Beethoven's Last Night album (a rock opera in a Beethoven meets Faust kind of way), my favourite track from there being "A Last Illusion" (Flight of the Bumblebee bridging into Ode to Joy). Patti Russo's vocals are great (have seen her live doing female vocals on Meat Loaf's tour, back in 1999) Looking forward to their long promised "Night Castle" (non-Christmas) release. For an edgier sound, their releases as Savatage, before and since the TSO side project, offer an interesting contrast. :)

Dave Mitsky
2005-Dec-13, 04:47 PM
Personally, I wouldn't rank the Stones even close to Springsteen either as a live act or on record. Though to be fair, I've only seen the old, past it Stones and not them from before they lost the plot sometime in the 70s.

I've seen the Stones play in the seventies, eighties, and nineties and each time they were fantastic. I passed on a chance to catch them on tour this year (with the venue a mere 10 minutes away no less) due to the same reasoning as yours and the high cost of even mediocre seats and, by all accounts, they put on a tremendous show.

Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky
2005-Dec-13, 04:51 PM
"Wow. No love for the Trans-Siberian Orchestra? I know they do mostly Christmas music, but their Beethoven's Last Night album is great."

I saw them perform two years ago about this time of the month. Orchestral Christmas rock is not exactly my cup of tea but I did enjoy the show.

Dave Mitsky

Doodler
2005-Dec-13, 05:01 PM

Will have to look into it, I've always been fascinated by the rock/orchetra mix, since the first time I saw it with Aerosmith doing Dream On with orchestral accompaniment. Silent Lucidity by Queensryche and the entire program on Metallica's S&M album are an amazing mix of the styles. Metallica was a great crossover, especially since they do several songs that have minimal vocals and a couple incredible instrumentals to use. I was heartbroken when Orion wasn't on S&M.

I like TSO's stuff, but I had only ever heard their Christmas Music, and that was too "niche-y" for day to day listening.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-13, 05:14 PM
I for one do not like S&M, while I really did enjoy Metallica live (even though it was the St Anger tour; luckily they played a lot of classics, and St Anger songs do sound better live than on the tincan drum CD versions!).

To me, metallica doens't HAVE to be the ultrafast speedmetal; I like some of their slower songs as well. But S&M just didn't work for me. The adaptations weren't really inspired imo.

mid
2005-Dec-13, 05:15 PM
"New" (to me, anyway) band of the week for me is definitely Sigur Ros. I'd previously dismissed them as pointless noodlers from a really poor showing when supporting Radiohead, but I picked up ( ) in the sale on Saturday after much badgering from others about how I was mistaken.

Sure enough, I was, and very much so. The album is wonderful; rather like the excellent Godspeed you! Black Emperor, but with their oppressive feeling of menace replaced with one of elation and wonder.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-13, 09:34 PM
You're certainly entitled to your opinions but I'm curious as to what's your problem with Bruce. He (and the E Street Band) is one of the best live acts I've ever seen. I rank only the Rolling Stones higher in that regard.

While I'm no fan of the Stones either, they are far and away better than Bruce. Bruce comes across to me as.. somebody trying to be like Bob Dylan and A) trying too hard and B) failing miserably. I don' t like his voice (that straining quality absolutely tears at my nerves), I don't like his 'poetry' - it's no better than 99% of the other crap on the radio.

Likewise, is Tchaikovsky's music really so objectionable? I saw a performance of "The Nutcracker Suite" by a local ballet company on Sunday and really enjoyed hearing some of his melodies again.

http://www.scena.org/lsm/sm5-4/NutcrackerSuite-en.htm

http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album/album.cgi?ALBUMID=1671816&type=cl

He's ranked as the third best composer of the Romantic Era at http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best-classic-comp2.html

Dave Mitsky

Interesting that you should pick that particular set - quite possibly the worst work ever did - to the point where even HE hated it. Tchiakovski had flashes of brilliance- more than many other composers. His biggest problem is that he just didn't know when to stop. I'd rather listen to, god help me, Ravel.

One of your links does put a broader spectrum on it, though. I'm not particularly fond of the romantic era composers as a group. They strike me as angsty as Celine Deon or any of the electronic-voiced bimbos on the charts these days. (note, this is a broad brush - there are individual pieces that are quite good.. but they are few and far between) I'd much rather listen to Gregorian Chants, Bach (any of them), Mozart, or Beethoven. Or Billie Holliday, if I want heart.

Nicolas
2005-Dec-13, 09:42 PM
Now for something completely different :)

I've got "Tigers of Pan Tang" on at the moment.
What immediately strikes me is that this is an older "hard rock" record that has acceptable record quality (the sound, I'm not talking about the music).

I mainly love the sleeve art (crazy nights), but the music is nice as well IMO. You hear a lot of songs that were influenced by this general style. You can find the riff of "fight for your right" inhere :).

kleindoofy
2005-Dec-14, 04:31 AM
Well. I'm listening to my CD of Tosca (Callas, Di Stefano) for about the 10^250 time at the moment.

Any questions about my musical tastes? ;)

Maksutov
2005-Dec-14, 02:20 PM
[edit]There are some musicians who's work shall never grace my turntable/CD player:

Tchiakovski...How refreshing to hear from someone who has an accurate evaluation of old Pyotr. I will admit he had the gift of melody. He wrote some great tunes. That's why he was ripped off by tin pan alley so often during the first half of the 20th century. But there's much more to symphonic music than melodies.

To quote my two favorite composers, the first from memory:

(in rehearsal of one of PIT's "symphonies") You see, gentlemen, those tunes and the lack of development or counterpoint? That is opera, it is not symphony.

- Gustav Mahler
We know butter comes from cream, but must we watch the churning arm?

- Charles Ives
And now it's xmas season and time to be bombarded by excerpts from that friggin ballet. Once again there are some great tunes in there, but it's not great classical music (except maybe to the ears of yuppies). I'd much rather hear the celesta as employed in a creative and musically indigenous way by Mahler in his Sixth or Bart&#243;k in his Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta.

Monique
2005-Dec-14, 06:21 PM
jazz

hawaii50girl
2005-Dec-14, 07:35 PM
Spice Girls
Atomic Kitten
N'sync
Mariah Carey
Natasha Bedingfield
Pussycat Dolls
Kelly Clarkson
Emma Bunton (Baby Spice)
Black Eye Peas
Simple Plan
Geri Halliwell (Ginger Spice)
Any pop music from England
Any TV Themes

EvilBob
2005-Dec-15, 01:34 AM
:eek:

sarongsong
2005-Dec-15, 04:43 AM
What---no Hawaiian---no slack-key and steel guitars???

hawaii50girl
2005-Dec-15, 09:49 PM
No, this is just the kind of music i like. some of the singers from england are really better.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-15, 11:50 PM
How refreshing to hear from someone who has an accurate evaluation of old Pyotr. I will admit he had the gift of melody. He wrote some great tunes. That's why he was ripped off by tin pan alley so often during the first half of the 20th century. But there's much more to symphonic music than melodies.

Glad to see I'm not alone. You can be a hermit with me, so long as you take the next hill over...

And now it's xmas season and time to be bombarded by excerpts from that friggin ballet. Once again there are some great tunes in there, but it's not great classical music (except maybe to the ears of yuppies). I'd much rather hear the celesta as employed in a creative and musically indigenous way by Mahler in his Sixth or Bartˇk in his Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta.

Then there's Peter Schickely... ;)

Candy
2005-Dec-16, 02:06 AM
I don't listen to music much anymore, but I saw a commercial for a "classical/heavy metal" type group that was coming to Chicago. It looked and sounded really good on the ad. Has it been discussed? I didn't catch the name of the group. It was like an orchestra with fire, so to speak. :shifty:

Parrothead
2005-Dec-16, 04:11 AM
I don't listen to music much anymore, but I saw a commercial for a "classical/heavy metal" type group that was coming to Chicago. It looked and sounded really good on the ad. Has it been discussed? I didn't catch the name of the group. It was like an orchestra with fire, so to speak. :shifty:

Could have been Trans-Siberian Orchestra, according to the tour schedule at their website, TSO East played in Chicago last Saturday.

Candy
2005-Dec-16, 04:14 AM
Could have been Trans-Siberian Orchestra, according to the tour schedule at their website, TSO East played in Chicago last Saturday.
I think that was it. Dang, I missed it. It sounded hot. :mad:

LurchGS
2005-Dec-16, 04:21 AM
I think that was it. Dang, I missed it. It sounded hot. :mad:

I think Manheim Steamroller is touring - should oughta look it up. They're as good as it gets in the genre

Candy
2005-Dec-16, 05:27 AM
I hate to be a killjoy, but if you see it coming, then PM me. Otherwise, I don't see much. :(

Maksutov
2005-Dec-16, 06:54 AM
Glad to see I'm not alone. You can be a hermit with me, so long as you take the next hill over...Maybe a few hills over, since I tend to play the stuff I like at concert hall volume levels.

Then there's Peter Schickely... ;)Ah, P.D.Q. Bach!

How can one not be in awe of pieces such as

- Concerto for Horn and Hardart, S. 27

- Oratorio - “The Seasonings”, S. 1 1/2 tsp.
Chorus: “Tarragon of virtue is full”
Recitative: “And there were in the same country”
Duet: “Bide thy thyme”
Fugue
Recitative: “Then asked he”
Chorale: “By the leeks of Babylon, There we sat down, yea, we wept”
Aria: “Open sesame seeds”
Recitative: “So saying”
Duet: “Summer is a cumin seed”
Chorus with Soloists: “To curry favor, favor curry”

- Pervertimento for Bagpipes, Bicycle and Balloons, S. 66

- Echo Sonata for Two Unfriendly Groups of Instruments, S. 9999999999

- Schleptet in E flat Major
Larghissimo — Allegro Boffo
Menuetto con Brio ma senza Trio
Adagio Saccharino
Yehudi Menuetto
Presto Hey Nonny Nonnio

- Hansel and Gretel and Ted and Alice, An opera in one unnatural act, S. 2n-1

- The O.K. Chorale from the “Toot” Suite for calliope four hands, S. 212&#176;

- “Erotica” Variations, for banned instruments and piano, S. 36EE

- Missa Hilarious, S. N2O
Yriekay
Gloria
Credo
Sanctus
Angus Dei

and many more.

BTW, in the Missa Hilarious, "Angus Dei" is not a typo. Some of its wonderful verses consist of:

Angus Dei, Angus Dei,
She looks so nice just standin' there all covered with the dew.
Angus Dei, Angus Dei,
She's the prettiest cow I've ever seen and I have seen a few.
(sound of air horn blasting out the first eight notes of "Here Comes the Bride")
Angus Dei! Angus Dei!
I have to make it through the week as best as I know how.
Angus Dei! Angus Dei!
I see her every Sunday morning, she's my sacred cow.
(sound of air horn blasting out the first eight notes of "Here Comes the Bride")

In the Missa Hilarious, as well as many other vocal and choral works, the "high end" is supplied by John Ferrante, bargain counter tenor.

I've had the privilege(?) of hearing almost all of P.D.Q's works live as performed by Schickele and ensemble. They're funny enough on recordings, but live is always quite an event. Seeing Hansel and Gretel and Ted and Alice at Avery Fisher Hall in NYC way back when was quite an experience!

More on this justly neglected composer of musical minorpieces may be found at http://www.schickele.com/

LurchGS
2005-Dec-18, 05:22 AM
Maybe a few hills over, since I tend to play the stuff I like at concert hall volume levels.

well, maybe a few hills - I tend to play at acid-rock levels. If the bones don't turn to jelly, it's not loud enough.

I blame my father for my love of P.D.Q. - the man (Dad) is a sadist. He started me off listening to Florence Foster Jenkins - that's a rare treasure, let me tell you. Then he added The Nirobi Trio, Tom Lehrer, and - of course - Spike Jones. Since these folk aren't so funny if you don't get the joke, I had to start listening to the original music...

I grew up listening to classical and Preservation Hall jazz - here the route was backwards - from the sublime (Fur Elise) I went to the sadistic (I figured the popular music had satirists, so must classical. The only one (other than the really good composers) that was any good was PDQ..

Out of THAT grew my love of Mr Zappa (a sad day indeed, when he died) and The Kinks. And Robert Service

The rest, as they say, is history.

---------------

yay! the redline is history!

teri tait
2005-Dec-18, 12:43 PM
well, maybe a few hills - I tend to play at acid-rock levels. If the bones don't turn to jelly, it's not loud enough.

I blame my father for my love of P.D.Q. - the man (Dad) is a sadist. He started me off listening to Florence Foster Jenkins - that's a rare treasure, let me tell you. Then he added The Nirobi Trio, Tom Lehrer, and - of course - Spike Jones. Since these folk aren't so funny if you don't get the joke, I had to start listening to the original music...

I grew up listening to classical and Preservation Hall jazz - here the route was backwards - from the sublime (Fur Elise) I went to the sadistic (I figured the popular music had satirists, so must classical. The only one (other than the really good composers) that was any good was PDQ..

Out of THAT grew my love of Mr Zappa (a sad day indeed, when he died) and The Kinks. And Robert Service

The rest, as they say, is history.

---------------

yay! the redline is history!

I love Zappa, sadly, the anniversry of his demise was about a week or so ago.

His album 'Joes Garage' is one of my all time favorites! The title song is the best one, followed closely by 'Catholic Girls' and who can't love the Slime song?

Joes Garage:
"..had some cards printed up for a coupla bucks and we were on our way to fame..."

LurchGS
2005-Dec-18, 04:59 PM
actually, my fave is 'Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar' ...

For all his fun lyrics "I wrapped a newspaper 'round my head so I'd look like I was deep", he was far and away the most sensible person I know of in the industry

------

One of my legs' shorter 'n' the other and both of my feet's too long

Jorge
2005-Dec-18, 10:03 PM
Top 3:
Atryu
Korn
Smashing Pumpkins

Other stuff i like:
Straylight Run
Alice Cooper
U2
Muse
Rammstein
Greenday
Within Temptation
DJ Tieso
Some video game midi's like Tetris, Super Mario...