PDA

View Full Version : Wikipedians must now register

ToSeek
2005-Dec-06, 06:59 PM
Wikipedia tightens editorial rules after complaint (http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn8425&feedId=online-news_rss20)

The popular reference site Wikipedia, which lets anyone create and edit entries, has tightened its editorial rules in an effort to stamp out vandalism and the posting of deliberate misinformation. The site will now require visitors to register before creating new entries.

aurora
2005-Dec-06, 07:52 PM
I think this only applies to new entries, though.

hewhocaves
2005-Dec-06, 07:59 PM
its not a bad idea. IMHO if you can't be bothered to register, you probably shouldn't be posting.

i would agree to extend it through to updating articles.

Joff
2005-Dec-06, 08:00 PM
This guy calls Wikipedia a "flawed and irresponsible research tool", but the problem is really in his own mind - he thinks Wikipedia should be something it isn't, namely a research tool, so of course it's useless. If you think of it as a community trivia tool which occasionally throws up enlightening articles, you recognise just how good it is.

Having said which, as a registered Wikipedian, I don't see any problem with registering. If I lived in a society where there was a chance that that registration would get back to government - say, USA - I might be concerned. ;)

agingjb
2005-Dec-06, 11:26 PM
I've registered and make minor tweaks when I know what I'm doing. The requirement to register makes sense, although I'd welcome a link to the announcement of the change with Wiki itself.

And, of course, when you find an error in Wiki, then (register if necessary and) fix it.

hhEb09'1
2005-Dec-07, 12:04 AM
Having said which, as a registered Wikipedian, I don't see any problem with registering. If I lived in a society where there was a chance that that registration would get back to government - say, USA - I might be concerned. ;)Lucky!

I wished I lived in a country without a government :)

Kullat Nunu
2005-Dec-07, 09:13 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing anonymous editing forbidden altogether, although unregistered users make lots of good edits.

Lianachan
2005-Dec-08, 10:46 AM
I'd like to see anonymous editing totally outlawed. Registering is a quick, easy and free process - anybody who can't be bothered to do that simple thing has no business editing!

harlequin
2005-Dec-10, 03:26 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing anonymous editing forbidden altogether, although unregistered users make lots of good edits.

The ironic thing is that one can be both anonymous and registered. Indeed, if one really want to be anonymous the best thing to do is to register since if you don't register, your IP number will be provided. For most users that will give away where they are at geographically as well as who their ISP is. And for people who use cable modems and other broadband connections that don't log out, the IP number can give away the identity of the user.

LurchGS
2005-Dec-10, 07:38 AM
how rigorously are the registrations confirmed? what's to keep me from registering as ToSeek (assuming he'd not already registered)?

Maybe I'm just pessimistic and cynical, but I don't see 'registration' as any kind of cure for bogus posts.