PDA

View Full Version : Guide Star Catalog

Glom
2003-Feb-08, 10:42 PM
Aren't the GSC stars used by HST for its guidance?

I was just looking at Tasco SkyWatch, trying to design a flight course for Enterprise (http://www.badastronomy.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=3759&forum=4&31). It seemed like a good idea when I started it except that I ended up spending two hours trying to work out the first 200ly of the total 600ly mission profile. Realising that the course was slightly erratic, I got bored and gave up.

Anyway, the first main target on the profile was Aldebaran at 65ly. But in order to get there, it seemed prudent to go via a load of other stars first. So, I went looking for nearer stars in the angular vicinity of Aldeberan. I noticed that all the nearer ones were GSC stars. More to the point, I noticed that all the GSC stars were of spectral type B9IV.

Wouldn't having nearer stars as the GSC cause parallax problems? And what about B9IV stars makes them used so widely in the GSC?

BTW, does anyone know of star atlas software that allows you to filter stars by distance and even better, create three dimensional models of the starfield. That would have made designing this mission profile much easier.

David Hall
2003-Feb-09, 12:03 PM
Glom, I just linked to a program you can use in the Enterprise thread. It does 3D modelling of nearby stars and even allows you to draw routes linking them.

Glom
2003-Feb-09, 12:30 PM
Cheers.

Glom
2003-Feb-09, 02:37 PM
Actually, ignore this thread. I've been doing some more looking and I've realised that there are many GSC stars that aren't B9IV. Although many of the stars missed by the SAO catalogue around Taurus are of that class.